More liberal idiocy on display

It think it's a rather funny advertisement, but then again, I am made of sterner stuff.

What's so funny about it? I think it's a shitty billboard. It's not offensive to me, it just sucks. It's not clever, it's not funny, it's terrible marketing.
Confirmed social justice warrior triggered

Bad advertising does trigger me, yes. Again, I'm not offended by the billboard, I just think it's bad advertising. (I do advertising. And this ad sucks.)

I think it was pretty damned effective, look at all then additional FREE TV time and social media discussion it generated. Also people will support the store just to piss off the protesters.

Eh, you could say that, I guess. There is a trend in marketing to deliberately run ads that are highly controversial just to get the news outlets talking about you. It works on that level, but you also risk damaging your brand.

It think it's a rather funny advertisement, but then again, I am made of sterner stuff.

What's so funny about it? I think it's a shitty billboard. It's not offensive to me, it just sucks. It's not clever, it's not funny, it's terrible marketing.

I am fond of flippant humor.

The gif you posted was funnier than this lame billboard.

Bad advertising does trigger me, yes. Again, I'm not offended by the billboard, I just think it's bad advertising. (I do advertising. And this ad sucks.)

I think it was pretty damned effective, look at all then additional FREE TV time and social media discussion it generated. Also people will support the store just to piss off the protesters.

Eh, you could say that, I guess. There is a trend in marketing to deliberately run ads that are highly controversial just to get the news outlets talking about you. It works on that level, but you also risk damaging your brand.

I doubt there's much danger of damaging their brand in that part of the country, it might if they were in the humorless north east. But considering the average weight of a gem stone you'd have to hit someone in the eye to hurt them. A 1/4 carat stone is .2 grams.

He claims to be in advertising then says this was bad/dumb lol. I mean, could he be any dumber?

He claims to be in advertising then says this was bad/dumb lol. I mean, could he be any dumber?

lol, if that's all advertising is -- getting people and the press riled up over something deliberately done in bad taste -- then everyone would be doing it, genius. It's EASY to come up with something offensive. They don't, because it's ineffective and counterproductive from a branding perspective. There's a reason why brands OBSESS over their reputation, you fucking moron.

Good thing you're not in marketing, I can only imagine the destruction you would cause to brands.

I doubt there's much danger of damaging their brand in that part of the country, it might if they were in the humorless north east. But considering the average weight of a gem stone you'd have to hit someone in the eye to hurt them. A 1/4 carat stone is .2 grams.

No one cares about what you "doubt." The only thing that actually matters is their brand reputation after this ad campaign. Not some opinion from a right wing know-nothing on USMB.

lol, if that's all advertising is -- getting people and the press riled up over something deliberately done in bad taste -- then everyone would be doing it, genius. It's EASY to come up with something offensive. They don't, because it's ineffective and counterproductive from a branding perspective. There's a reason why brands OBSESS over their reputation, you fucking moron.

Good thing you're not in marketing, I can only imagine the destruction you would cause to brands.
Many people are doing it dumbass. And YOUR idea of "bad taste" does not make it so. The billboard is pithy & funny. YOU are the only person I know who thinks it was in bad taste and I've talked to about 20 different people today about this story. Not only that but it's been on local radio all day. Yours is a VERY minority opinion. An opinion that is getting this company thousands upon thousands of dollars of FREE ADVERYISING, you're just too dumb to get it.

Oh and I "sell" my company nearly everyday. I can sell a gold lined turd to a sewage worker. You sit behind a desk, I deal with REAL folks.

Many people are doing it dumbass. And YOUR idea of "bad taste" does not make it so. The billboard is pithy & funny. YOU are the only person I know who thinks it was in bad taste and I've talked to about 20 different people today about this story. Not only that but it's been on local radio all day. Yours is a VERY minority opinion. Am opinion that is getting this company thousands upon thousands of dollars of FREE ADVERYISING, you're just too dumb to get it.

No, you haven't talked to "20 different people" about this story, so stop lying. There is no such thing as "free press," everything comes with a price. In this case, they're gonna pay for their "free press" by pissing off a certain percentage of their potential buying demographic, moron.

Again, it's a good thing you aren't in marketing. You are CLUELESS.

Oh and I "sell" my company nearly everyday. I can sell a gold lined turd to a sewage worker. You sit behind a desk, I deal with REAL folks.

I spent 15 fucking years of my life grinding out a living selling face to face. I'll run circles around you, any day, all day. And selling isn't the same thing as advertising. Close, but not quite.

I spent 15 fucking years of my life grinding out a living selling face to face. I'll run circles around you, any day, all day. And selling isn't the same thing as advertising. Close, but not quite.
Run circles around me eh? You a fucking rodeo clown or what?

Many people are doing it dumbass. And YOUR idea of "bad taste" does not make it so. The billboard is pithy & funny. YOU are the only person I know who thinks it was in bad taste and I've talked to about 20 different people today about this story. Not only that but it's been on local radio all day. Yours is a VERY minority opinion. Am opinion that is getting this company thousands upon thousands of dollars of FREE ADVERYISING, you're just too dumb to get it.

No, you haven't talked to "20 different people" about this story, so stop lying. There is no such thing as "free press," everything comes with a price. In this case, they're gonna pay for their "free press" by pissing off a certain percentage of their potential buying demographic, moron.

Again, it's a good thing you aren't in marketing. You are CLUELESS.
I've probably talked to more than 20 people about it. It's been big news here despite where I live.

And I would be a genius at marketing if I had an in into the industry. I have bullshitted my way into contracts over the years, both personal & business, that I should have been laughed out of the building for. I've secured big government contracts, national chain contracts, vehicles, houses etc.. all based on my word rather than my background. I can bullshit with the best of them.

No one cares about what you "doubt." The only thing that actually matters is their brand reputation after this ad campaign. Not some opinion from a right wing know-nothing on USMB.

Guess you didn't pay attention, they're know for controversial ads and they're still in business. Humor tends to play pretty well in the south, not so many snowflakes.

I could understand the comments about the billboard because I've come to accept that there'll be a portion of folks with thoughts I simply won't ever understand.

On the other hand the story about the 4-year-old struck more of a nerve with me. While again I don't get the thought process, this one had real repercussion in the toddler being suspended.

Forum List

Back