More indoctrination from Lefty: "Catcher in the Rye"

If anyone wants to read some real liberal philosophy, read Spirits Rebellious by Kahlil Gibran. It was burned in the Beirut town square. Gibran said that was a good reason for a second printing.

Atlas Shrugged was a defining piece of American literature that emanated with reason and truth. On the other hand, most leftist prattle is a garish mix of idolatry for the evil, and adulteration of moral values.

atlas shrugged was an okay piece of literature. as a political concept it's a joke.

and ayn rand died collecting social security.

go figure.

You idiots throw out Social Security as if it's a welfare program. It's not. It's money that is funded through payroll taxes called Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax (FICA) and/or Self Employed Contributions Act Tax (SECA). In other words, it's money you paid into the system.

You people are stupid!

tell that to the randian idiots when they call social security an "entitlement".

:cuckoo:

He wrote a lot of it in the army, liberating Normandy, Paris, and a concentration camp. He was a NE GOP. Your ignorance and brainwashed idiocy continues to be amazing, and disgusting...lol. Read it again.

Actually, I suspect Salinger was more or less libertarian leaning, like WF Buckley from that neck of the woods. But, none of his books or stories was implicitly ideological. They were about people affluent enough to afford to be pseudo intellectuals, who focused clearly upon their own needs and wants.

Sort of Seinfeldish.

I think the OP with Caufield as some liberal symbol is pretty hilarious.

In the days that Salinger was writing his book, those type of people (Prep School) were mainly what we would have called 'Country Club Republicans'.

No one really liked them very much. Not even Republicans. The only thing they believed in was the Status Quo.

We kinda booted them. Or ignored them to the point that they left us... Like the Rockefellers. We didn't like them then, we like them even less now that they've run to the dark side for comfort.

Now days, many of those same 'elitists' are almost exclusively dimocrap. Soros, Peter Lewis, Buffet, Gates, Tom Steyer, Ted Turner, Spielberg, etc ad nauseam

And the only thing they really believe in is the Status Quo.

Same people. Different party. Same people.

Explains why there's more dimocrap millionaires in Congress than Republican Millionaires.

ayn rand was political ideologue. Salinger was an odd duck, but he was never political. Holden Caufield is a symbol of adolescent disenchantment, but he's a distinctly upper class creation, and most in the middle class are not disenchanted with their parents, but more or less grateful, and those who are disenchanted with their parents cannot really grasp Caufield's reasons for disenchantment until they, like Salinger, on on their way towards their own middle age mediocrity. Catcher in the Rye has nothing to do with adolescents who are disenchanted with politics or the govt.

Caufield is suffering post traumatic stress, something that is too often overlooked.

ayn rand was political ideologue. Salinger was an odd duck, but he was never political. Holden Caufield is a symbol of adolescent disenchantment, but he's a distinctly upper class creation, and most in the middle class are not disenchanted with their parents, but more or less grateful, and those who are disenchanted with their parents cannot really grasp Caufield's reasons for disenchantment until they, like Salinger, on on their way towards their own middle age mediocrity. Catcher in the Rye has nothing to do with adolescents who are disenchanted with politics or the govt.

Caufield is suffering post traumatic stress, something that is too often overlooked.

True. I'm not sure where Salinger was going with that. Of course, most adolescents, regardless of race or class, lose a loved one. Caufield's lack of emotional depth doesn't let him deal with that anymore than lust. LOL

He wrote a lot of it in the army, liberating Normandy, Paris, and a concentration camp. He was a NE GOP. Your ignorance and brainwashed idiocy continues to be amazing, and disgusting...lol. Read it again.

francoHFW, I just glanced at your performance at USMB.

Having read many of your 15,442 posts, you have a rep power of zero (0).

You should not be talking about anybody's ignorance and/or brainwashed idiocy.

Having read many of your 11,000+ posts, you have a rep power of zero (0).

But Salinger did write the beginning while he was in the Army. He was in intelligence, interviewing German prisoners or something. I'm not sure if that influenced his story.

It's interesting that RW posters first posited Caufield as some liberal icon, and then compared Atlas Shrugged to Catcher. Perhaps it's the notion of "catcher in the rye" catching all the kids before they go over the edge of the cliff, but that image was clearly meant as ironic ... as Caufield has not gone over the edge all humans must go over to become an adult. In a nutshell, that's why most kids never get the book when forced to read it as an adolescent.

Catcher just doesn't have anything to do with politics.

Atlas Shrugged is a heavy handed ideological tract. Maybe its suited for adolescents. Personally, I think the genius of madmen was how the series captured not just the state mandated social structure of liberalism among classes (with the job creators having to carry the less worthy) but also frustration with state mandated prohibitions on sexual expression: GLBT, secretaries, underage girls, prostitutes, etc. Imo you have to reread Atlas as an adult to get the sexual frustration.

True. I'm not sure where Salinger was going with that. Of course, most adolescents, regardless of race or class, lose a loved one. Caufield's lack of emotional depth doesn't let him deal with that anymore than lust. LOL

Caufield lacks a certain depth because he is only part of Salinger and because when people are in pain they try and deal with that pain by addressing their base needs. Salinger himself was obviously a more well rounded human being, but he also suffered far more serious stress.

Caufield lacks a certain depth because he is only part of Salinger and because when people are in pain they try and deal with that pain by addressing their base needs. Salinger himself was obviously a more well rounded human being, but he also suffered far more serious stress.

Yeah, I mean I never really thought much about the PSTD and Caufield. But, it's been 25 years since I went back and read it as an adult, and at the time I'd just lost someone, so I don't think I tracked.

It's pretty deep psychological insight to create possibly the icon of the male adolescent, and put in the grieving of losing a person he loved. Thinking about it, that's pretty universal. Even though my grandfather died when I was in grade school, it affected me in my teens. One doesn't process grief until one becomes an adult. It's part of going over the edge. Thanks for your insight.

I shut it off, because it's just a matter of how big a RW HATER YOU ARE- MUCH LIKE THE CIRCLE JERK OF CHARLATANS ON THE PUB PROPAGANDA MACHINE...LOL

I shut it off, because it's just a matter of how big a RW HATER YOU ARE- MUCH LIKE THE CIRCLE JERK OF CHARLATANS ON THE PUB PROPAGANDA MACHINE...LOL

Are you insane? None of your posts even make any sense... you are honestly doing the leftists a disfavor by commenting as you do.

Liberals have once again donned the diadem of ignorance, and have sought to dilute the onus that delineates Americans through an elixir of languid sedition.

I want the leftists to juxtapose themselves with me and my fellow students for a moment - we have to suffer through the libertine attitude of a man that epitomizes liberalism... Holden Caulfield.

We are forced to observe his impious and blasphemous behavior, and sit hapless as our minds are defiled by this worthless trash. The leftists' somnambulatory trance makes them blind to how desiccated J.D Salinger, and his "novel" were. You have caused a fissure in countless minds, libbies, and the next generation of Americans will never forget, nor forgive.

Circumlocution^^^ at the extreme.

Liberals have once again donned the diadem of ignorance, and have sought to dilute the onus that delineates Americans through an elixir of languid sedition.

I want the leftists to juxtapose themselves with me and my fellow students for a moment - we have to suffer through the libertine attitude of a man that epitomizes liberalism... Holden Caulfield.

We are forced to observe his impious and blasphemous behavior, and sit hapless as our minds are defiled by this worthless trash. The leftists' somnambulatory trance makes them blind to how desiccated J.D Salinger, and his "novel" were. You have caused a fissure in countless minds, libbies, and the next generation of Americans will never forget, nor forgive.

Circumlocution^^^ at the extreme.

Your reply was not germane by any stretch of the imagination...

Hey, can any mod move this to education, if it has to be moved? It really doesn't make sense to move it to the reviews section, since this is about the communist public school system.

Forum List

Back