More Green welfare for the rich

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
The plug-in grant was introduced in 2011, gifting buyers up to £4,500 off new cars.

The incentive helped the UK become the biggest market for PHEVs in Europe.

The majority of the tens of thousands of eligible vehicles sold were bought by company fleets, including more than 70% of the 37,000 plug-in hybrids sold so far in 2018.

But data from The Miles Consultancy, a Cheshire firm which advises 300 blue-chip companies on fuel management, reveals that many businesses simply used the grant to save on buying regular cars.
Subsidised plug-in cars driven on fuel
As usual, I wonder what happens to these after fleets get done with em. Joe Smo isn't going to buy a vehicle with major expense of batt change looming over him.

One of the best things about being able to opt out is you get to use a horse and buggy all the time and nobody ever looks at you funny. The Amish around here do that.

The plug-in grant was introduced in 2011, gifting buyers up to £4,500 off new cars.

The majority of the tens of thousands of eligible vehicles sold were bought by company fleets, including more than 70% of the 37,000 plug-in hybrids sold so far in 2018.

But data from The Miles Consultancy, a Cheshire firm which advises 300 blue-chip companies on fuel management, reveals that many businesses simply used the grant to save on buying regular cars.
As usual, I wonder what happens to these after fleets get done with em. Joe Smo isn't going to buy a vehicle with major expense of batt change looming over him.
What I find amusing is our local junk yard has 15 of these cars just a little over 2 years old in a row. He charges $5,000.00 to dispose of them due to disposal regulations for the batteries and other components. Their longevity is garbage and people don't have the monies to replace the battery packs when they fail. Tony told me that over half have been abandoned and their plates removed.. Now why would the owner try and hide who owns the vehicle? Even the banks who hold liens are letting them sit..

Last edited:

A smaller engine that powers the electronics and charges the batteries, would have probably worked better.

Forum List

Back