More "freak" occurances

Freak occurrences my butt. There HAS been a lot of activity in NE Arkansas. And WE SHOULD be concerned, because that's the home of one of the HUGEST faults in America..

Earthquakes
The Natural State has felt its fair share of earthquakes. In 1811-1812 a series of powerful earthquakes measuring over magnitude 7.5 rattled the residents of northeast Arkansas. Cabins collapsed, people were frightened, and the land surface was severely changed by liquefaction. These earthquakes happened in the New Madrid seismic zone (NMSZ), an active fault system that extends from Cairo, Illinois to Marked Tree, Arkansas. The earthquake zone has been active for hundreds of years. What if another series of major earthquakes were to strike this region again? Would your business or family be prepared?

This is not far from Memphis and the Mississippi where the New Madrid fault twisted the Might Miss into KNOTS last time it went boom.. I can't get over how we are acting like natives running to the Medicine Man for answers..

There is also a swarm on the SC /GA border where (to my knowledge) there is no active fracking going on. The TWO events may be a warning that somethings about to give.

[MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION]

I am on the New Madrid fault line. We get minor quakes all the time. I am always having to set the stuff right in my china cabinets. The quake I referred to earlier that buried that tribe of Indians under Reelfoot lake was on this fault line. When that one happened the Mississippi river ran backwards for 3 days. It formed Reelfoot lake.

Here, we are ALWAYS aware of the possibility of seismic activity because 'the big one' is overdue. Experts have been telling us for years to keep some supplies and a way to survive outside your home for a few days until help can get to you. I have a tent I've never used and keep a few supplies all the time.

Seismic activity is nothing new. All that is new is our ability to detect it. And much of it is undetectable to humans. That is why the stuff keeps moving around in my china cabinets and I don't notice it.

Freak occurrences my butt. There HAS been a lot of activity in NE Arkansas. And WE SHOULD be concerned, because that's the home of one of the HUGEST faults in America..

Earthquakes
The Natural State has felt its fair share of earthquakes. In 1811-1812 a series of powerful earthquakes measuring over magnitude 7.5 rattled the residents of northeast Arkansas. Cabins collapsed, people were frightened, and the land surface was severely changed by liquefaction. These earthquakes happened in the New Madrid seismic zone (NMSZ), an active fault system that extends from Cairo, Illinois to Marked Tree, Arkansas. The earthquake zone has been active for hundreds of years. What if another series of major earthquakes were to strike this region again? Would your business or family be prepared?

This is not far from Memphis and the Mississippi where the New Madrid fault twisted the Might Miss into KNOTS last time it went boom.. I can't get over how we are acting like natives running to the Medicine Man for answers..

There is also a swarm on the SC /GA border where (to my knowledge) there is no active fracking going on. The TWO events may be a warning that somethings about to give.

I am on the New Madrid fault line. We get minor quakes all the time. I am always having to set the stuff right in my china cabinets. The quake I referred to earlier that buried that tribe of Indians under Reelfoot lake was on this fault line. When that one happened the Mississippi river ran backwards for 3 days. It formed Reelfoot lake.

Here, we are ALWAYS aware of the possibility of seismic activity because 'the big one' is overdue. Experts have been telling us for years to keep some supplies and a way to survive outside your home for a few days until help can get to you. I have a tent I've never used and keep a few supplies all the time.

Seismic activity is nothing new. All that is new is our ability to detect it. And much of it is undetectable to humans. That is why the stuff keeps moving around in my china cabinets and I don't notice it.

Everyone in Hillbilly Hollywood thought I was nuts when I took Earthquake insurance on my brick home. (You lived here I think). But I had read about what was likely for Memphis and parts West if the New Madrid moved again..

I could give you some good California tips and tricks.. Best one is anchoring tall furniture to the wall and securing your water heater. They used to sell rubber mats to put your China on.

Camping supplies used to get used during the Cali power outages.. Not living in a 3rd world state anymore.. The OPTIMISTIC view here on New Madrid is that geologist wisdom says that minor swarms are a GOOD thing. A sign that the fault is relieving stress without catastrophe. It's only when it's been unnaturally quiet -- that you have to worry. Hope they are right.

You know, you just can't reason with these dumbass liberals. To them humans have no value at all. There are sink holes beginning to happen across the river from me in Missouri where they have irrigated crops to the point of lowering the water table and causing the land to sink. To liberals that is a hanging offense. They just can't see that our food production is what keeps, not only them but a good portion of other non productive humans all over the world, alive. If we stopped producing the food to preserve the land, they would be pissing and moaning about that.

Last edited:
Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day | Mail Online

An area of Logan County around Oklahoma City felt the brunt of the quakes, which were as large as magnitude 3.5
Residents feared for their personal safety and for their property but scientists remain unsure what's causing them, much less how to predict or stop them
Scientists say it could be the result of fracking, changes in lake water levels or even a natural occurrence

Read more: Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

We've gotten so used to freak storms and freak occurrences like this, we forget that it wasn't always like this.

But of course, human activity have nothing at all to do with it. :cuckoo:

Global Warming is causing......earthquakes

Frank-Zappa-Mothers-Of-Invention-Freak-Out-album-cover.jpg

Everyone in Hillbilly Hollywood thought I was nuts when I took Earthquake insurance on my brick home. (You lived here I think). But I had read about what was likely for Memphis and parts West if the New Madrid moved again..

I could give you some good California tips and tricks.. Best one is anchoring tall furniture to the wall and securing your water heater. They used to sell rubber mats to put your China on.

Camping supplies used to get used during the Cali power outages.. Not living in a 3rd world state anymore.. The OPTIMISTIC view here on New Madrid is that geologist wisdom says that minor swarms are a GOOD thing. A sign that the fault is relieving stress without catastrophe. It's only when it's been unnaturally quiet -- that you have to worry. Hope they are right.

I carried earthquake insurance there as well. I too was laughed at. Until they started feeling the quakes generated from that fault. Nashville is at the tip end of the New Madrid fault if I recall correctly. Then they got on the 'keep some supplies' bandwagon. Pretty much all we hear about is the California fault. But the one here is equally as bad.

An area of Logan County around Oklahoma City felt the brunt of the quakes, which were as large as magnitude 3.5
Residents feared for their personal safety and for their property but scientists remain unsure what's causing them, much less how to predict or stop them
Scientists say it could be the result of fracking, changes in lake water levels or even a natural occurrence

Read more: Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day | Mail Online

We've gotten so used to freak storms and freak occurrences like this, we forget that it wasn't always like this.

Global Warming is causing......earthquakes

Maybe earthquakes are causing global warming!

Commonsense dictates that when something is very rare for a long period of time becomes normal. Something happened.

[MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION]

What have humans done to cause movement of the continents?

Last edited:

@Luddly Nedite

What have humans EVER done to cause earthquakes?

Next earthquake that comes this way, I'm not going to be able to avoid imagining Luddly personally shoving that tectonic plate around. :lol:

Just one problem.........there is no fracking going on where the earthquakes are here in Oklahoma. They are occurring along the New Madrid fault line. The circle and earthquake notation on the map are mine.

$2-18-2014 11-25-08 AM.jpg

Yes, it has ALWAYS been like this. People only live very short lives however so they can't remember the very same things that happened just a few short years before they were born.

Let me put it another way...you trot out something that you think is somehow unique and I will quickly destroy your assertion with at least three prior occurrences from prior times...and no doubt of far greater severity.

How's that for a challenge.

Commonsense dictates that when something is very rare for a long period of time becomes normal. Something happened.

For small area's fracking can weaken the ground above and cause small quakes.

What would be nice is if we could go into earthquake prone areas and relieve the stress buildup by triggering thousands of small quakes.

Far better than that one BIG one don't you think?

What would be nice is if we could go into earthquake prone areas and relieve the stress buildup by triggering thousands of small quakes.

Far better than that one BIG one don't you think?

Agreed. Does make sense ;)

wow; there sure are a lot of left-wing fruitcakes here!1

ex-pats from MSNBC message boards no doubt

Seismic activity on or near one of the biggest fault lines in the USA?

say it aint so!!

REPORT TO THE MOTHER SHIP libs!!!

But it does not cause the larger ones which are on the rise:

According to the study, the answer to the first question is "almost certainly." But the second one is a little more complicated. Though fracking does cause tiny tremors, the USGS scientists found no links between the process of fracking itself and the larger earthquakes that have been occurring more frequently.

Does Fracking Cause Earthquakes? | Mother Jones

Forum List

Back