Montanans Launch Recall of Senators Who Approved NDAA Military Detention

Worth repeating:eusa_clap:
I'm wondering why all states don't have this?

Perhaps because it's not needed:

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Place of Chusing Senators."

U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 4.

Recall arguably falls into the above category. The only potential hitch is that Congress can say "no you can't!" merely by voting it so.

You can't recall a Senator without altering the length of his term.
The Constitution determines the length of a Senator's term, not the state from which the Senator came.

For real bro, have any of you fucktards even READ THE CONSTITUTION

Apparently you haven't

Well, I don't know how this will play out, but I totally agree with the effort to hold our elected officials accountable for this kind of idiocy.

However, I was objecting to the whole Patriot Bill business from the git-go, and being called a terrorist loving traitor by the 'Conservatives'. Now that we have a Democratic President, they suddenly find time to read the Bill of Rights. Better late than never, I suppose.

Had not heard of General Butler before, but he was definately a brave and honest man.

Montanans Launch Recall of Senators Who Approved NDAA Military Detention. Merry Christmas, US Senate - Salem-News.Com

"Two time Medal of Honor winner Marine General Smedley Butler once said "There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. Time to fight. "

Butler famously ended his career as a Marine General by touring the country with his speech and book denouncing war, "War is a Racket."Butler confessed that he had spent most of his life as a "high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers...a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism..."

Eighteen states at present have recall laws, most of which do not apply to federal officials. For these and other states to recall federal officials, state legislatures would have to first pass or amend such laws.

Rising on the House floor to oppose the bill based on the military detention provisions for Americans, Rep. Tom McClintock said before the House vote:

" today, we who have sworn fealty to that Constitution sit to consider a bill that affirms a power contained in no law and that has the full potential to crack the very foundation of American liberty."

Really? I'm surprised a commie like you never heard of 'ol Butler. He was a regular at their meetings. However, he was correct and his book is excellent. I suggest you get a copy. There's also a real good biography of him called Old Gimlet Eye.

Last edited:
Dear babbling liberoidal dumbass:

Montana and those other 8 states can pass all the laws they want - its the CONSTITUTION specifies the length of a Senator's term. I mean come on, seriously? You think a state can just unilaterally re-write the Constitution? How how about Montana passes a law saying they get 20 Senators and 100 Congressmen?

U CAN'T RECALL A SITTING U.S. SENATOR OR REPRESENTATIVE, READ THE FUCKING CONSTITUTION MORONS

Originally Senators were appointed...that's in the Constitution as well. Looks like things changed.

Yeah, great, you got a point? When was the Constitution amended to allow recalls of Senators?

Montana and those other 8 states can pass all the laws they want - its the CONSTITUTION specifies the length of a Senator's term. I mean come on, seriously? You think a state can just unilaterally re-write the Constitution? How how about Montana passes a law saying they get 20 Senators and 100 Congressmen?

U CAN'T RECALL A SITTING U.S. SENATOR OR REPRESENTATIVE, READ THE FUCKING CONSTITUTION MORONS

Originally Senators were appointed...that's in the Constitution as well. Looks like things changed.

Yeah, great, you got a point? When was the Constitution amended to allow recalls of Senators?

Why, I don't think it needs to be. I believe the 10th covers this issue.

Perhaps because it's not needed:

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Place of Chusing Senators."

U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 4.

Recall arguably falls into the above category. The only potential hitch is that Congress can say "no you can't!" merely by voting it so.

You can't recall a Senator without altering the length of his term.
The Constitution determines the length of a Senator's term, not the state from which the Senator came.

For real bro, have any of you fucktards even READ THE CONSTITUTION

Apparently you haven't

I haven't read the part that says the length of a Senator's term can be shortened at any time a state wishes.

Maybe you can show it to me. The part I read says a Senator's term is 6 years long.

LOL! THE LENGTH OF A SENATOR'S TERM IS 6 YEARS - the 10th amendment doesn't change that.

Jesus fucking christ you people are stupid.

LOL! THE LENGTH OF A SENATOR'S TERM IS 6 YEARS - the 10th amendment doesn't change that.

Jesus fucking christ you people are stupid.

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years.
[U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 3, clause 1]

HOW they were elected came about with the 17th Amendment...and THAT needs to go back the way it was.​

It wasn't amended, you bloody fool.

States have always been able to set the terms and conditions for election and recall of their elected officials.

Go read Article 1, Section 4.
Absolutely. The only reason why people from State to State can vote in Federal elections IS the States allow it.

There IS zero right to vote in Federal Elections found in the Constitution.

States have always been able to set the terms and conditions for election and recall of their elected officials.

Try reading Amendment 17:
The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution.

A Senator's term is 6 years. You can hold all the recall elections you like, you won't alter the length of the term of the Senators you have in Congress.

A sitting Senator (or Congressmen) has in fact NEVER been recalled by any state ever - because its not allowed.

Dear babbling liberoidal dumbass:

Changed with the 17th Amendment. It needs to be repealed.

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution.

A Senator's term is 6 years. You can hold all the recall elections you like, you won't alter the length of the term of the Senators you have in Congress.

A sitting Senator (or Congressmen) has in fact NEVER been recalled by any state ever - because its not allowed.

Unless the state which elected/appointed them has a process in place for recalling them, pursuant to Article 1, Section 4, you nincompoop.

WTF do you mean it isn't allowed? What the Hell are you smoking? There IS an amendment process...dumbass.

WTF do you mean it isn't allowed? What the Hell are you smoking? There IS an amendment process...dumbass.

I didn't say there wasn't an amendment process. I said recalling a U.S. Senator is not allowed by the Constitution.

try reading amendment 17:

A senator's term is 6 years. You can hold all the recall elections you like, you won't alter the length of the term of the senators you have in congress.

A sitting senator (or congressmen) has in fact never been recalled by any state ever - because its not allowed.

wtf do you mean it isn't allowed? What the hell are you smoking? There is an amendment process...dumbass.

i didn't say there wasn't an amendment process. I said recalling a u.s. Senator is not allowed by the constitution.
wrong.

Unless the state which elected/appointed them has a process in place for recalling them, pursuant to Article 1, Section 4, you nincompoop.
Correct.

Uhh, no, that's not what the 17th amendment says. It says that Senators are elected for 6 years. It doesn't say they are elected for 6 years, unless... anything.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back