Monsanto ordered to pay $289m damages in Roundup cancer trial

Should we then take it as truth that tobacco is not a harmful substance because the studies by the tobacco industry says so?
No, you should consider all of the evidence. And you would be incorrect to say that the only studies done on glyphosate are done by employees of Monsanto. So that is not a good comparison.
Was all the evidence presented by the defense?
I don't know. I imagine they tried to demonstrate that there is no good evidence that glyphosate causes cancers, in the levels to which we are exposed.
So, instead,of blaming jurors, why not blame the defense?
I just might. I would guess their error would be not being able to convince a bunch of ignorant nonscientists how the truth of comlicated scientific ideas is decided. Then again, this may have been an impossible task.

And, to clarify, I am not blaming the jurors, really. It is human nature to draw conclusions based on specious reasoning, especially concerning complicated topics one know less than thing about. Things like this are going to happen, when the decision of the truth of a scientific idea is left to ignorant people. And it's the best system we have (the courts), so we probably have to live with that.

That does not mean we can't point out its shortcomings, when they arise.

Farmers use Roundup for years at much higher quantities. I'd be curious to see the cancer rates amongst them.
I've seen a gang of illegals spraying gallons and gallons of the stuff from backpacks, no masks, "mists" of Roundup all in the air around them on undergrowth sprouting up in clearcut logging sites, just before they replant, so the young trees can grow up through the (dead) brush. Luckily I was at enough distance to not be exposed myself, but wow was I sad for those guys. They can't complain because if they do, they're deported (yes snowflakes, there's an ugly side to your letting in illegals: it's called "slavery").

That was about 9 years ago. Probably half of them have cancer by now. They were in their mid-20s to mid-30s, all of them. They can't sue either. But farmers and other legal residents can. How they get away with it is big timber land owners subcontract to "gypo" logging crews. These are private crews who then hire out cheapest labor they can get. Since the locations are remote and shifting nebulously (via agreement with the timberland owners and the Gypo owners), no ICE raids are possible. So they employ illegals liberally.

In a crew of some 30 men working this clear cut, not one was white. All looked and dressed like they were straight out of Mexico. Only the foreman, another mean-looking badass Mexican spoke English and Spanish. I marveled at how the scene looked straight out of the 1800s in the deep south. All that was missing was the foreman mounted on a Tennessee Walking Horse with a bullwhip.

That was about 9 years ago. Probably half of them have cancer by now.

Exactly.
That's why family farms are disappearing, all the farmers died from Roundup.

DERP!

It could be bad news for Monsanto if other people start suing.

Monsanto told to pay $289m in cancer trial

Chemical giant Monsanto has been ordered to pay $289m (£226m) damages to a man who claimed herbicides containing glyphosate had caused his cancer.

In a landmark case, a Californian jury found that Monsanto knew its Roundup and RangerPro weedkillers were dangerous and failed to warn consumers.

It's the first lawsuit to go to trial alleging a glyphosate link to cancer.

Monsanto denies that glyphosate causes cancer and says it intends to appeal against the ruling.

"The jury got it wrong," vice-president Scott Partridge said outside the courthouse in San Francisco.
The jury did get it wrong. There is not a shred of evidence that the doses to which this man was exposed cause cancer. Britain is getting pretty notorious for its affection for woo woo nonsense.
Monsanto is a big donor to big government politicians. They are the poster boy for the Mafia like racket that is our central government. As such, they are protected. They can murder and sicken thousands of Americans and get away with it. It is the American Way after all.

Our criminal government protects big corps, while failing to protect the American people. Nothing new here.
That's nice. If you are proposing that their patents become public domain,to undercut their power, I am open to this suggestion. However, what you just said has no bearing on the safety of glyphosate, or lack thereof.
Their products are clearly unsafe but since the have bought protection from a corrupt government, nothing will be done.

Forum List

Back