MLB Trade Deadline A Real Snoozzzzzzzzz

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
Oh, there were plenty of nobodies changing addresses but nobody of any consequence. Modern free agency died last season and MLB is the better for it. The owners have all had their balls burned by the huge guaranteed contracts and loss of incentive for a player to perform. Detroit for instance is stuck for another 5 years and $150M with Miguel Cabrera, who decided to take 2018 off with the craziest swing I ever saw him take....ruptured biceps tendon that required surgery (I don't think he planned on that) and now he's partying down in Miami still collecting his paychecks....swears he'll be ready for 2019....sure he will. Jordan Zimmerman couldn't sign the Tigers' offer ($110M) fast enough two years ago while the Nationals just laughed..they knew he would be on the DL more than in the dugout.....Meanwhile they kept Victor Martinez and his $18M salary (finally expiring in October) instead of keeping JD Martinez. So today the deadline passed and Liriano and Fiers, who were both signed to trade at the deadline, are still Tigers. Avila did send recent-hire CF Leonys Martin to the Injuns for some skinny little AA shortstop hitting .255...just what they need. :102:
desismileys_6961.gif
desismileys_6961.gif

Last edited:
Oh, there were plenty of nobodies changing addresses but nobody of any consequence. Modern free agency died last season and MLB is the better for it. The owners have all had their balls burned by the huge guaranteed contracts and loss of incentive for a player to perform. Detroit for instance is stuck for another 5 years and $150M with Miguel Cabrera, who decided to take 2018 off with the craziest swing I ever saw him take....ruptured biceps tendon that required surgery (I don't think he planned on that) and now he's partying down in Miami still collecting his paychecks....swears he'll be ready for 2019....sure he will. Jordan Zimmerman couldn't sign the Tigers' offer ($110M) fast enough two years ago while the Nationals just laughed..they knew he would be on the DL more than in the dugout.....Meanwhile they kept Victor Martinez and his $18M salary (finally expiring in October) instead of keeping JD Martinez. So today the deadline passed and Liriano and Fiers, who were both signed to trade at the deadline, are still Tigers. Avila did send recent-hire CF Leonys Martin to the Injuns for some skinny little AA shortstop hitting .255...just what they need. :102:
desismileys_6961.gif
desismileys_6961.gif

Houston stole Osuna since he has legal problems here with assaulting a woman. He was on pace to destroy records for closers at his age, broke the record for quickest to 50 or some number.

Last year he apparently suffered from anxiety or some other ailment, I said at the time that Jays should trade him. it's a business, and you don't want to roll the dice sometimes with a guy with potentially weak constitution, even if it's an issue beyond his control. Well, it's now far worse (and Jays would have received MUCH more a year ago) after he attacked a woman, there are rumors he had a gun, the details have been quite tight lipped, that may change now that he's traded.

He should do well in Texas. Who wouldn't want to make millions while living in the greatest state in the union?

Last edited:
  • Banned
Houston stole Osuna since he has legal problems here with assaulting a woman. He was on pace to destroy records for closers at his age, broke the record for quickest to 50 or some number.

Last year he apparently suffered from anxiety or some other ailment, I said at the time that Jays should trade him. it's a business, and you don't want to roll the dice sometimes. Well, it's not far worse after he attacked a woman, there are rumors he had a gun, the details have been quite tight lipped, that may change now that he's traded.

He should do well in Texas. Who wouldn't want to make millions while living in the greatest state in the union?

His problem is that Verlander pretty much called him a punk for hitting a woman and Verlander is the swinging dick in that dugout so we'll see....he still has a court date in Toronto doesn't he? And ahem....Texas is okay but Arizona is the greatest state in the Union. :cool-45:

Last year he apparently suffered from anxiety or some other ailment, I said at the time that Jays should trade him. it's a business, and you don't want to roll the dice sometimes. Well, it's not far worse after he attacked a woman, there are rumors he had a gun, the details have been quite tight lipped, that may change now that he's traded.

His problem is that Verlander pretty much called him a punk for hitting a woman and Verlander is the swinging dick in that dugout so we'll see....he still has a court date in Toronto doesn't he? And ahem....Texas is okay but Arizona is the greatest state in the Union. :cool-45:

Yeah I remember that now that you bring that up. I don't think that was Osuna though was it? I thought it was someone else. I'm too lazy to look. Oh yeah, I just saw, it was Osuna.

A change of scenery works for this situation. He will be in Texas, nice warm weather, many from Mexico which is his home country. He will fit in easily and hopefully he straightens his life out. The case has been tight lipped, I thought I heard there may have been a gun involved, which complicates this immensely.

He will most certainly get a suspended sentence. Clearly the Jays know just how serious it is to trade a guy this young who has been at times the most dominant closer in the game.

• Banned
Yeah I remember that now that you bring that up. I don't think that was Osuna though was it? I thought it was someone else. I'm too lazy to look. Oh yeah, I just saw, it was Osuna.

A change of scenery works for this situation. He will be in Texas, nice warm weather, many from Mexico which is his home country. He will fit in easily and hopefully he straightens his life out. The case has been tight lipped, I thought I heard there may have been a gun involved, which complicates this immensely.

He will most certainly get a suspended sentence. Clearly the Jays know just how serious it is to trade a guy this young who has been at times the most dominant closer in the game.

He's still under suspension isn't he? I didn't know you could trade a guy who's been suspended. He'll have to go to their AAA club for a tune-up and maybe he catches a line-drive in the face and Karma does it's magic. From what I've read, the Houston fan base doesn't want him there but fans are fickle and if he's all that and an order of fries, he'll probably be forgiven...except by the woman he beat the crap out of.

He's still under suspension isn't he? I didn't know you could trade a guy who's been suspended. He'll have to go to their AAA club for a tune-up and maybe he catches a line-drive in the face and Karma does it's magic. From what I've read, the Houston fan base doesn't want him there but fans are fickle and if he's all that and an order of fries, he'll probably be forgiven...except by the woman he beat the crap out of.

He's about to come off his 75 game suspension. He will have his day in court. Nobody knows any of the circumstances, but apparently alcohol was also involved.

Texans can be tough, but I imagine most fans believe in second chances within reason.

Tigers don't matter.

Dozier to the Dodgers does matter if he starts swinging in a line up of Machado, Turner, Bellinger, Muncy, Taylor, Kemp, Pederson, Puig, et al

• Banned
Tigers don't matter.

Dozier to the Dodgers does matter if he starts swinging in a line up of Machado, Turner, Bellinger, Muncy, Taylor, Kemp, Pederson, Puig, et al

No, the Dodgers don't matter...they're overpaid cannon-fodder for the rest of the NL. The Dodgers are majority owned by a BASKETBALL player (Magic Johnson) and haven't mattered since they stole Kirk Gibson from the Tigers and won it all in 1988. Their fans show up in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th inning....

Forum List

Back