Missouri Becomes 28th Right-to-Work State...

Republicans, do you oppose unions in general, or due to their support of the Democrat Party

• I oppose unions in general

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I oppose unions due to their support of the Democrat Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BOTH!

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – In an abandoned factory in Springfield and a business park in Poplar Bluff, Gov. Eric Greitens held ceremonial signing ceremonies celebrating the first bill of his tenure as governor, one that could arguably prove to be the most monumental of his entire term in office.

Sen. Dan Brown’s SB 19, the right-to-work bill, officially became law Monday, making Missouri the 28th state in the country to adopt such a policy. The official signing of the bill came at the Capitol in the governor’s office where nearly all of the pro-right-to-work Republican legislators flanked Greitens, most notably Brown and Rep. Holly Rehder, the House handler of Brown’s bill.

Greitens signs right-to-work bill into law, marking turning point for Missouri organized labor - The Missouri Times

I'm not thrilled about this. I'm a pro-union Republican...but there wasn't much even pro-union Republicans could do to stop this law at this point. Pro-union Republicans managed to stave off Right-to-Work even against a veto-proof Republican majority in the Missouri Legislature.

September 16, 2015...

In the battle over the “right to work” bill, which received national attention, the Republican-dominated Missouri House voted 96-63 to override the veto of legislation that would have made it a misdemeanor for anyone to be required to become a union member or pay fees to a labor organization as a condition of employment.

That was 13 votes short of the two-thirds majority needed for an override, with 20 Republicans joining with nearly every Democrat to oppose the measure. Because the House failed to override the veto, the Senate never got the chance to debate it.

Read more here: Missouri House fails to override governor’s veto of ‘right-to-work’ bill
Why were we doomed to fail? Most rural counties in Missouri have very minuscule levels of union member constituency...voters in those counties only know that the unions fund national candidates that pursue policies that are antithesis of their beliefs and values. That creates animosity, and those elected leaders in the Missouri Legislature have little choice but to back anti-union policy. It makes for a difficult uphill battle for pro-union Republicans. Trying to explain the importance of unions in increasing wages for entire segments of the economy, fighting for on-job safety measures and serving as a counterbalance to the power of corporations. Most Republicans only see unions as enablers of non-union related policy among those politicians unions traditionally support.

What can be done? I don't know. Maybe you, Republicans, Democrats and others, have some ideas on how to mend the rift between one set of blue collar workers and another.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Unions have too much power, they can intimidate management, who too often caves in to stupid work rules instead of using business reasons for decisions. Why do you think many US factories were moved overseas? Many times its because unions caused products to become unprofitable. Missouri prefers jobs to unions, good for them.

The demise of unions = the demise of the middle class . Just look at the stats .

You righty scum serve your big biz masters at the expense of the working class .

The demise of unions = the demise of the middle class . Just look at the stats .

You righty scum serve your big biz masters at the expense of the working class .

^^^oblivious to the union busting tactics of the Dems.

Is that why these "right to work (aka fuck over worker) states are mostly red?

I thought Trump was going to bring high paying jobs .

Let's ask Kaine.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – In an abandoned factory in Springfield and a business park in Poplar Bluff, Gov. Eric Greitens held ceremonial signing ceremonies celebrating the first bill of his tenure as governor, one that could arguably prove to be the most monumental of his entire term in office.

Sen. Dan Brown’s SB 19, the right-to-work bill, officially became law Monday, making Missouri the 28th state in the country to adopt such a policy. The official signing of the bill came at the Capitol in the governor’s office where nearly all of the pro-right-to-work Republican legislators flanked Greitens, most notably Brown and Rep. Holly Rehder, the House handler of Brown’s bill.

Greitens signs right-to-work bill into law, marking turning point for Missouri organized labor - The Missouri Times

I'm not thrilled about this. I'm a pro-union Republican...but there wasn't much even pro-union Republicans could do to stop this law at this point. Pro-union Republicans managed to stave off Right-to-Work even against a veto-proof Republican majority in the Missouri Legislature.

September 16, 2015...

In the battle over the “right to work” bill, which received national attention, the Republican-dominated Missouri House voted 96-63 to override the veto of legislation that would have made it a misdemeanor for anyone to be required to become a union member or pay fees to a labor organization as a condition of employment.

That was 13 votes short of the two-thirds majority needed for an override, with 20 Republicans joining with nearly every Democrat to oppose the measure. Because the House failed to override the veto, the Senate never got the chance to debate it.

Read more here: Missouri House fails to override governor’s veto of ‘right-to-work’ bill
Why were we doomed to fail? Most rural counties in Missouri have very minuscule levels of union member constituency...voters in those counties only know that the unions fund national candidates that pursue policies that are antithesis of their beliefs and values. That creates animosity, and those elected leaders in the Missouri Legislature have little choice but to back anti-union policy. It makes for a difficult uphill battle for pro-union Republicans. Trying to explain the importance of unions in increasing wages for entire segments of the economy, fighting for on-job safety measures and serving as a counterbalance to the power of corporations. Most Republicans only see unions as enablers of non-union related policy among those politicians unions traditionally support.

What can be done? I don't know. Maybe you, Republicans, Democrats and others, have some ideas on how to mend the rift between one set of blue collar workers and another.

Discuss...
Yay! Another 3rd world country/state.

Let's ask Kaine.
Ask him what? Republicans control 2/3 of the General Assembly.

The american worker is now on his wY to getting a kick in the shorts. Lower wages, less benefits, loss of overtime pay. The signs are there. The middle class is on its way out. A full blown p!utoctracy is on the way. A lot of stupid idiotic working class people can't figure out that 20 dollars per hour is piss poor pay.

Let's ask Kaine.
n't

Why don't you get off your ass and start reading up what has been going down with unions and the Democrats for the past 10 years instead of this pretense of how you fuckers are the great defenders, eh?

September 16, 2015...

Discuss...

the right to work for minimum wage so corporatists can continue to have run-away profits.

nice going.

Let's ask Kaine.
n't

Why don't you get off your ass and start reading up what has been going down with unions and the Democrats for the past 10 years instead of this pretense of how you fuckers are the great defenders, eh?
I assumed you were talking about Virginia being a right to work state. No need to be so hostile.

Corporations own this nation and their power is ominous. I don't trust them to do the right thing.

Forum List

Back