Mississippi HS Marching Band pulled from Halftime performance because of "How great thou art"

Praying in public does not establish any particular religion, however banning all prayer establishes atheism as the national religion
Praying in a school assembly by an administrator is indeed forcing religion on others. Santa Fe learned that the hard way twice.

Playing music at half time is another matter all together.

The Constitution uses the word ESTABLISH how does a prayer establish Christianity as the national religion, komrade Jake
SCOTUS says differently, old friend. Read either of the Santa Fe cases.

SCOTUS got it as wrong as Dred Scott, Korematesu and Plessy

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Please tell me how and what religion is established by a prayer in a school
then take it up with the scotus. here in the real world we'll deal with reality, and the reality is school officials can't lead prayers.

Yes, SCOTUS got it wrong. No Surprise, they're not perfect and they fucked it up. Good thing the people in the crowd started singing it anyway

Praying in a school assembly by an administrator is indeed forcing religion on others. Santa Fe learned that the hard way twice.

The Constitution uses the word ESTABLISH how does a prayer establish Christianity as the national religion, komrade Jake

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

then take it up with the scotus. here in the real world we'll deal with reality, and the reality is school officials can't lead prayers.

Yes, SCOTUS got it wrong. No Surprise, they're not perfect and they fucked it up. Good thing the people in the crowd started singing it anyway
i'm not sure i'd call that 'good'
and i disagree that they fucked it up. but guess what? my opinion and your opinion on it don't matter. reality is the decision has been made and challenged countless times, and the ruling stands.

and i disagree that they fucked it up. but guess what? my opinion and your opinion on it don't matter. reality is the decision has been made and challenged countless times, and the ruling stands.

We don't have to abide by a wrong SCOTUS ruling.

if you like breaking the law that's your deal - but just remember you aren't the arbiter of what is and is not a 'right' or 'wrong' ruling by the court.

if you like breaking the law that's your deal - but just remember you aren't the arbiter of what is and is not a 'right' or 'wrong' ruling by the court.

Fuck SCOTUS, they got it wrong. You can be a good little Nazi and just follow orders

Will Obama send in 82nd and 101st to stop people from singing

Fuck SCOTUS, they got it wrong. You can be a good little Nazi and just follow orders

again, you're welcome to your belief that they got it wrong, but that belief doesn't change reality.
which do you find more likely - that they and all the lower courts got it wrong and continue to do so, or that you know better?

Praying in public does not establish any particular religion, however banning all prayer establishes atheism as the national religion

Go read Santa Fe. You sound as immorally stubborn as JimBowie on immigrants.

again, you're welcome to your belief that they got it wrong, but that belief doesn't change reality.
which do you find more likely - that they and all the lower courts got it wrong and continue to do so, or that you know better?

You really need to ask Frank if he knows better than SCOTUS. Frank is not Keys' disciple without good reason.

I read it, Ricky Retardo. Read the dissent, its spot saying the majority " "bristles with hostility to all things religious in public life"

You really need to ask Frank if he knows better than SCOTUS. Frank is not Keys' disciple without good reason.

^ Supported FDR Japanese Concentration camps

I read it, Ricky Retardo. Read the dissent, its spot saying the majority " "bristles with hostility to all things religious in public life"
The minority overstated the majority's words. Frank, the Catholic and Mormon kids asked to give prayers over the PA along with the evangelical kids, and the outliers' were told no, and they said 'fuck that, religion for everybody or religion for nobody.' SCOTUS agreed.

^ Supported FDR Japanese Concentration camps

At that time and place, you would have as well.

The kids have the right to play the music. ...

Speaking as a former HS band geek, I think the issue is complicated by the fact that the band instructor chooses the musical scores and designs the field shows for the marching band. Obviously, there's a big difference between using a well-known hymn as a pre-show warmup (which is very common, BTW, because long-held notes really are perfect for warming up instruments and lips, ETC.) and designing the entire show around religious themes.

Listen to Grove City (Ohio) HS's long-standing pre-show warmup:

That's What a Friend We Have in Jesus, which usually precedes a mostly secular show. :thup:

Also performed was Going Home and It is well with my Soul. Beautifully done.

Fuck you atheists!

Yes We the People are the final arbiter.

we the people have entered into a government in which the supreme court is the final arbiter. if we the people want to do anything about that or any particular decision we'll have to amend the constitution.

Losing our freedoms one Democrat appointed judge at a time

and some will cheer this. Transformation means destroying our history and life long traditions.

It's not about religion. The Bible can be read in public schools if it is read as a literary work only and not a theological teaching guide. The same holds true for music. This was a bad decision but not for the reasons that you believe.

Also performed was Going Home and It is well with my Soul. Beautifully done.

Fuck you atheists!

2014 was an especially holy season for the Greyhounds. ;)

You should check out some of their shows from past seasons.Their 2012 show, World Melodies of Dance, took home top honors from a national invitational in Arizona.

we the people have entered into a government in which the supreme court is the final arbiter. if we the people want to do anything about that or any particular decision we'll have to amend the constitution.
Or have them impeached or face the consequences. We the People ARE the final arbiter.

There's more to this story than was mentioned in the OP. A federal court order was issued back in July prohibiting the school district from participating in any religious activity or soliciting such activity while at school or during any school event. The district continued promoting Christianity during school hours and was fined $7500 for doing so. The decision to disallow the band to perform its halftime show with the hymn intact was reportedly made in order to avoid being fined again, but it's pretty clear that this was done in part for the sake of publicity. The real issue here involves the rightness or wrongness of preventing a publicly funded school district from actively promoting Christianity.
no one is forcing anyone to worship.

that's the difference

leftist pretend it's force, when it's not, then go fucking overboard. they won't be happy until you can't say god or jesus outside of church, assuming they allow churches to stand, since you have to travel on tax payer roads to get to them.
at that school they were. they held a school assembly that promoted christianity and forced attendance.
How did they force attendance?

The kids have the right to play the music. ...

Speaking as a former HS band geek, I think the issue is complicated by the fact that the band instructor chooses the musical scores and designs the field shows for the marching band. Obviously, there's a big difference between using a well-known hymn as a pre-show warmup (which is very common, BTW, because long-held notes really are perfect for warming up instruments and lips, ETC.) and designing the entire show around religious themes.

Listen to Grove City (Ohio) HS's long-standing pre-show warmup:

That's What a Friend We Have in Jesus, which usually precedes a mostly secular show. :thup:

I used to march against Grove City when I was in High School. My High School Marching band was one of the few who could actually beat Grove City, James Swearingen's school a long time ago..... Ahhh, those were the days.

And you are right. Once a number is in the show and there is a drill to it, it's pretty hard to take it out, unless it's a park-n-blow concert number.

Forum List

Back