Millionaires asking for millions in welfare - St Paul MN

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Governor meets with Vikings owners on stadium push - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Pretty much has the Vikings asking someone, anyone, for 300 million to help them build a stadium. The suggestion is the 300 million will be paid for via taxes on sports related memorabilia, the lottery and a camcorder tax.

Would be neat if the pro sports team figured out how to play in a stadium they could afford. Heck, they could even pay rent to someone who owned a stadium since the NFL only shows up a dozen or so days a year.

I would think 300 million of state funds could be better spent helping along businesses which produce an exportable good or improving general infrastructure. Hell, give out 300 million more in college aid if you must.

That has to be better for America than spending it than helping the sports team sell Peanuts and Cotton Candy.

On the St Paul vs Los Angeles front, sure more advertising money will be spend in which ever team has the stadium. But you have to recover your cost before you break even and apparently stadiums have a 30 year life expectancy.

Dome deadline is bearing down on city

By Feb. 1, officials must decide the budget, funding sources to keep the Rams from breaking lease if stadium isn't 'top tier' — and no one is saying much.
Dome deadline is bearing down on city

Honest, I think America would be better off zoning the NFL into Mexico. Here are the multi-millionaires doing what they do best, asking for public funds to make them money, again.

If the NFL did something useful I would understand. It is better to sink this 300 million in research of solar panels, duck powered cars, SOMETHING productive. If football isn't on TV my friends might just go play Demolition Ball with me lol.
Demolition Ball & Adrenaline Zone

Damn... and to think I was going to drive the 400 miles to Minnesota to buy a camcorder.

I HAVE gone to see ball games in other cities myself. A Cards game when both them and I happened to be in Phoenix and one of the last Bears games at the old Soldiers Field for example.

Not like the money I spent there does wonders for the economy though. Also it isn't positive money like if a company in Phoenix used public money to develop solar powered accessories for cars. Engineers and all kinds of folks would have useful self sustaining jobs in Phoenix, jobs that help America. At best it is money Phoenix competed with St Louis for and since I am conservative and like America I feel we should be competing with the Chinese instead of each other.

Granny wantin' to know if dat's like secedin' from the Union?...
:eusa_eh:
Minnesota government shuts down
July 1, 2011: Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said shutdown marked "a day of great sorrow."
A budget stalemate forced a virtual full shut down of the Minnesota government on Friday and left only a limited array of state services in operation over the busy holiday weekend. Visitors won't be able to go to the state parks or the zoo, and travelers will find the highway rest stops shuttered. Road construction projects will cease, as will licensing for teachers and businesses. Many social service agencies will lose their funding, cutting state support for programs such as job training and homelessness prevention. Those that don't have reserves will likely close their doors.

And up to 23,000 state workers are scheduled to be laid off, though they will continue to get health benefits and can return to their jobs when the budget impasse is resolved. Basic health and safety services will continue, a judge ruled on Wednesday. The state must continue funding custodial care for residents in prisons, treatment centers and nursing homes. The state troopers will continue to patrol. The state universities will also remain open. Gov. Mark Dayton held a news conference to announce an impasse in budget talks on Thursday two hours before the fiscal year ended at midnight.

At issue is whether to close a $3.6 billion budget shortfall by increasing taxes or making spending cuts. The governor, who ran on a platform of taxing the rich, wants to raise taxes on the wealthiest 1.9% of Minnesotans, as well as cut spending. Republicans would not go along with a tax hike. Dayton and GOP leaders who control the legislature spent hours behind closed doors over the past week trying to hammer out a compromise. But they could not resolve their differences in time. "This is a night of deep sorrow for me," said Dayton, adding that he did not want to slash the state safety net to spare millionaires. Shortly after Dayton held the news conference, House and Senate Republicans met with the media and accused the governor of "throwing in the towel" with two hours to go.

"This is very disappointing, very disheartening," House Speaker Kurt Zellers said. This is the second time in six years the Minnesota government has been forced to shut down after budget talks failed. The last shutdown was a partial one that lasted for eight days in 2005, when Tim Pawlenty was governor. State government shutdowns are relatively rare. Though it's not uncommon for states to enter the fiscal year without a budget in place, officials usually extend funding for operations for several days or weeks until a spending plan can be put in place.

Source

Last edited:

Forum List

Back