Millionaires asking for millions in welfare - St Paul MN

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Toronado3800, May 7, 2011.

1. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Governor meets with Vikings owners on stadium push - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Pretty much has the Vikings asking someone, anyone, for 300 million to help them build a stadium. The suggestion is the 300 million will be paid for via taxes on sports related memorabilia, the lottery and a camcorder tax.

Would be neat if the pro sports team figured out how to play in a stadium they could afford. Heck, they could even pay rent to someone who owned a stadium since the NFL only shows up a dozen or so days a year.

I would think 300 million of state funds could be better spent helping along businesses which produce an exportable good or improving general infrastructure. Hell, give out 300 million more in college aid if you must.

That has to be better for America than spending it than helping the sports team sell Peanuts and Cotton Candy.

On the St Paul vs Los Angeles front, sure more advertising money will be spend in which ever team has the stadium. But you have to recover your cost before you break even and apparently stadiums have a 30 year life expectancy.

2. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Dome deadline is bearing down on city

Honest, I think America would be better off zoning the NFL into Mexico. Here are the multi-millionaires doing what they do best, asking for public funds to make them money, again.

If the NFL did something useful I would understand. It is better to sink this 300 million in research of solar panels, duck powered cars, SOMETHING productive. If football isn't on TV my friends might just go play Demolition Ball with me lol.
    Demolition Ball & Adrenaline Zone

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Damn... and to think I was going to drive the 400 miles to Minnesota to buy a camcorder.

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,037
    Isn't that how Bush made his money?

5. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I HAVE gone to see ball games in other cities myself. A Cards game when both them and I happened to be in Phoenix and one of the last Bears games at the old Soldiers Field for example.

Not like the money I spent there does wonders for the economy though. Also it isn't positive money like if a company in Phoenix used public money to develop solar powered accessories for cars. Engineers and all kinds of folks would have useful self sustaining jobs in Phoenix, jobs that help America. At best it is money Phoenix competed with St Louis for and since I am conservative and like America I feel we should be competing with the Chinese instead of each other.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Granny wantin' to know if dat's like secedin' from the Union?...
    :eusa_eh:
    Minnesota government shuts down
    July 1, 2011: Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said shutdown marked "a day of great sorrow."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011