[VIDEO] ~ Teen arrested for asking cop about unwarranted raids...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Reasoning, May 8, 2011.

1. Reasoning

Reasoning Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    *reposting from youtube, this is not me or my story*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0X1Acrty6E]YouTube - Teen Arrested For Asking Cop About Unwarranted Raids[/ame]

Info from vid description on YT account:

Message to youtube, this video is completely peaceful, legal,and non violent please uphold my rights by not removing the upload. I also do not condone any hateful comments or messages.

Robert Wanek
    mnchange.org

On May 6th I began shooting film for a new video project about unwarranted raids in Wahpeton nd, I was standing on a public street filming a notorious officer (Dustin Hill) who commonly practices unwarranted searches and seizures. He asked if I 'needed something' I responded by telling him 'no, I'm just filming a story about unwarranted raids in wahpeton' . He immediately
    placed me under arrest for interfering with a police investigation, or hindering as he also coined it. There was no investigation going on, he was simply talking to a citizen on public property. I was taken into an interview room where I remained cuffed for roughly an hour, I was questioned by an officer without ever being read my miranda rights while he harrassed and grilled me.
    After telling him the United States Constitution gives me the right to film in public he left, he returned after a long period of time and told me to stand up so he could remove my cuffs. I was then told to grab my camera and leave, and notified that I had 'Pissed Dustin Hill Off' I was released with NO CHARGES and my parents were never notified of my detainment, this is Orwellian authoritarian tactics of detaining a minor illegally for exercising his rights to intimidate him. I'm currently looking for the most effective avenue to seek legal action against the department but I would encourage anyone who is concerned about this issue to RESPECTFULLY and PROFESSIONALLY
    contact the Wahpeton ND police dept at 701-642-7722 and voice your concerns . One act of disobeying the constitution under the protection of a shiny badge, is a strike against the rights of all men and women. I hope you will all stand with me in this fight against those who seek to overstrectch the boundaries of authority.

Robert Wane

~

RPF Thread Link

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Assuming everything is as it appears...

if I said I were surprised, I'd be lying to you.

3. Silkcity19

Silkcity19 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    That shirt and tie don't go. JMHO

4. Smash_Hits

Smash_Hits STEELY DAN !

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That officer should lose his badge. Simple as that.

However, don't you think it is going a bit far to say that this is a "Police state?" I mean, one kid was arrested and detained unlawfully by one police department... While the incident is very unfortunate, think about all the GOOD police officers, who actually help people, arrest criminals, etc. I won't call America a police state until this is happening consistently in multiple states. And as far as I know, the federal government had nothing to do with this.

5. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    Based on what is seen in this video clip it appears the police officer either has an exaggerated sense of his own authority or a diminished sense of citizens' rights. Presuming there are no related circumstances which are not mentioned in this report, Wanek's parents should hire a lawyer and sue the Wahpeton Police Department for falsely arrest and detention. If they can't afford to do that a public defender should be sought.

This is a minor issue but the implications are major and should not go unchallenged. Police authority is a dangerous social element if not managed very carefully.

6. Reasoning

Reasoning Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Injustice Everywhere

7. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,797
    An artist who used a video camera to record being arrested by police is facing up to 15 years in prison.

Chris Drew has been charged with Class 1 felony under the Eavesdropping Act in Chicago, Illinois.

The bemused activist said he did not know anything about the law when he was protesting about restrictions on where artists can sell their work.

Read more: Chicago artist Chris Drew faces 15 years jail because he recorded own arrest | Mail Online

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_ZzJCfESc]YouTube - Chris Drew Arrested in Chicago selling speech in Chicago --State Street in front of Macy's[/ame]

8. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Pretty obvious the "artist" had priors.

A lot of them.

Thanks to the Chicago PD for taking another criminal off the street without anyone getting hurt.

9. ROBESPIERRE

ROBESPIERRE Student of History

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, but the policeman was doing his job exactly the way he had been trained to do it.

When a policeman is conducting an investigation no outsider has the right to get involved. In this case, the policeman was speaking to a driver, the cameraman should not have gotten invloved. Any third party distrtaction can be interpreted as interference with a police investigation, including any form of verbal harrassment directed at the oficer.

You do not have to be guilty of a crime to get arrested. The police have a legal right to detain you on suspicion alone. The law provides them with 72 hours. They can detain you for 3 days, not including weekends or holidays, to investigate whether or not you have violated any law.

The lesson to be learned: When a police officer is in the act of performing his duty, do not even attempt to speak with the officer unless you have a legitimate emergency requiring his help or assistance. This is the law.

Footnote: Since 9/11, most states have upgraded "police or fire interference" to felony status.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  10. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I tried to pick the important moments of the clip instead of spending five minutes with it.

So they guy was protesting and got arrested? He was also filming it? Looked pretty peaceful on his part and the police.

Last time I tried that "i didnt know it was illegal" line it didnt work for me either.