Millionaires ask Congress to raise their taxes

The Washington Post/ABC News survey asked American adults whether they supported or opposed a list of proposals to reduce the deficit. Seventy-two percent of all respondents said they supported raising taxes on annual income over $250,000, including 54% of respondents who said they “strongly” supported that position. Democrats were most supportive of that proposal (91%), but so too were a majority of independents (68%) and Republicans (54%.)

Additionally, 27% said they opposed increasing taxes on income earned beyond $250,000 per year.

Large Majority Of Americans, Including Most Republicans, Support Raising Taxes On The Wealthy | TPMDC

Warren Buffett isn’t the only rich guy who wants to higher taxes on the rich.

A new survey from Spectrem Group found that 68% of millionaires (those with investments of $1 million or more) support raising taxes on those with $1 million or more in income. Fully 61% of those with net worths of $5 million or more support the tax on million-plus earners.

Buffett, as you might recall, has proposed raising taxes on million-plus earners, saying the ultra-rich pay lower rates than everyday workers.

Rich people’s opinions of Buffett remain fairly positive in the wake of his tax-me-more crusade. More than a third of millionaires and ultra-high-net-worths said they have a more positive opinion of Buffett after his tax proposal. Only 19% of millionaires and 22% of the $5 million -plus group said they had a more negative opinion of him after the proposal.

More than 40% of both groups said their opinion hadn’t changed.

In other words, Buffett’s proposal had more supporters than detractors among the rich — though that support declines slightly as you move up the wealth ladder.

Explains George Walper of Spectrem: “What this tells us is that there are a number of wealthy folks who said: ‘Gee, we need to increase taxes to stimulate the economy. No one likes to be taxed more, but the reality is maybe it has to be done.’ ”

Millionaires Support Warren Buffett’s Tax on the Rich - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Q: What's stopping those assholes from donating what they believe to be their "fair share", over and above their tax liability?

A: Nothing.

This kind of argument is always a bunch of blather. What would it accomplish of those particular individuals do as you claim? It won't solve the problem.

Let's say 100 people live together in a giant house. One of them is you. They have an arrangement that says that each contributes a certain percentage of their income toward the pot that pays for their bills. The amount differs based on how much each person makes. Ten of these people make vastly more money than the others, including yourself. As it turns out, the group is falling behind on their bills. The pot isn't enough. So five of the ten suggest that those ten contribute a greater percentage of their total income, because it will work to get the bills covered. That's where you walk in and say, "If you five think that then you should pay that amount."

Your argument doesn't make a damned bit of sense. Not only would your suggestion still leave the situation coming up short of the necessary funds, but why in the Hell are you so opposed to it? Because you prefer to shoot yourself in the foot over some ideology that simply does not work, and you would rather see the entire house get evicted than consider something else.

Warren Buffett isn’t the only rich guy who wants to higher taxes on the rich.

A new survey from Spectrem Group found that 68% of millionaires (those with investments of $1 million or more) support raising taxes on those with $1 million or more in income. Fully 61% of those with net worths of $5 million or more support the tax on million-plus earners.

Buffett, as you might recall, has proposed raising taxes on million-plus earners, saying the ultra-rich pay lower rates than everyday workers.

Rich people’s opinions of Buffett remain fairly positive in the wake of his tax-me-more crusade. More than a third of millionaires and ultra-high-net-worths said they have a more positive opinion of Buffett after his tax proposal. Only 19% of millionaires and 22% of the $5 million -plus group said they had a more negative opinion of him after the proposal.

More than 40% of both groups said their opinion hadn’t changed.

In other words, Buffett’s proposal had more supporters than detractors among the rich — though that support declines slightly as you move up the wealth ladder.

Explains George Walper of Spectrem: “What this tells us is that there are a number of wealthy folks who said: ‘Gee, we need to increase taxes to stimulate the economy. No one likes to be taxed more, but the reality is maybe it has to be done.’ ”

Millionaires Support Warren Buffett’s Tax on the Rich - The Wealth Report - WSJ

I love how the conservatives on this forum are basically ignoring this information.

TWO frikken DOZEN millionaires STORMED Capitol Hill

My gawd the jokes just write themselves.:lol:

I love these fucking hypocrite so called millionaires.

If you're so fucking worried about your employees allegedly paying more taxes than you then you can give your employees a big fat fucking raise. I'll bet they'll take the raise and you can feel better about yourselves.

If you think the government should get more of your money then put you money where your big fat fucking mouths are and write a big fat fucking check payable to the US Treasury. I'll guarantee they cash it and you can feel better about your pathetic selves.

That should send Cantor and his GOP buddies crying and screaming into the streets. The GOP, the party of the rich, will not allow it.

If you're so fucking worried about your employees allegedly paying more taxes than you then you can give your employees a big fat fucking raise. I'll bet they'll take the raise and you can feel better about yourselves.

If you think the government should get more of your money then put you money where your big fat fucking mouths are and write a big fat fucking check payable to the US Treasury. I'll guarantee they cash it and you can feel better about your pathetic selves.

That was both a very classy and intelligent argument. You've got me convinced. How could ANYONE not be swayed by such a succinct presentation?

Give me a moment...Why is it that most of the obscenity, vulgar, and insulting remarks come from those who closely associate themselves with the "moral" party, the GOP. Not that all of these posts are from the presumed far right, but I do think most of them come from repub leaning posters. Where did I miss something?

My sentiments exactly.

If you want to give the Govt more of your money to waste, feel free. Write a big assed check.

You know Uncle Sam will take it in a heartbeat.

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) -- A group of two dozen millionaires stormed Capitol Hill on Wednesday, demanding lawmakers raise their taxes.

"We want to pay more taxes," said California millionaire Doug Edwards, a former marketing director for Google (GOOG, Fortune 500). "If you're fortunate, and you make more than a million dollars a year, you ought to pay more taxes."

They planned to push lawmakers to reject any deal that the so-called super committee delivers that doesn't raise taxes on millionaires. The 12-lawmaker panel has until next Wednesday to agree on $1.2 trillion in savings over the next 10 years or risk automatic spending cuts.

"If the super committee bill doesn't raise our taxes, we will ask our fellow citizens to consider killing the bill," said Eric Schoenberg of Franklin Lakes, N.J., an adjunct professor of marketing at Columbia Business School.

They planned to take their message to members of the super committee, Tea Party Republicans including Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas and Rep. Tom Price of Georgia, and even anti-tax champion Grover Norquist.

Millionaires ask Congress to raise their taxes - Nov. 16, 2011

A group of two dozen millionaires stormed Capitol Hill on Wednesday, demanding lawmakers raise their taxes.

:lol: stromed and demanded? bit of drama from the left :lol: Doubt they stormed anything and nothing is stopping them, from giving extra. problem solved

Thats even better idea.:clap2:

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) -- A group of two dozen millionaires stormed Capitol Hill on Wednesday, demanding lawmakers raise their taxes.

"We want to pay more taxes," said California millionaire Doug Edwards, a former marketing director for Google (GOOG, Fortune 500). "If you're fortunate, and you make more than a million dollars a year, you ought to pay more taxes."

They planned to push lawmakers to reject any deal that the so-called super committee delivers that doesn't raise taxes on millionaires. The 12-lawmaker panel has until next Wednesday to agree on $1.2 trillion in savings over the next 10 years or risk automatic spending cuts.

"If the super committee bill doesn't raise our taxes, we will ask our fellow citizens to consider killing the bill," said Eric Schoenberg of Franklin Lakes, N.J., an adjunct professor of marketing at Columbia Business School.

They planned to take their message to members of the super committee, Tea Party Republicans including Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas and Rep. Tom Price of Georgia, and even anti-tax champion Grover Norquist.

What does Doug Edwards do now? Does he still have an income that is subject to Income Tax?

I noticed it tells us where he USED to work.....Bet he doesnt have an income now.......does he?

What does Doug Edwards do now? Does he still have an income that is subject to Income Tax?

I noticed it tells us where he USED to work.....Bet he doesnt have an income now.......does he?

And Eric Schlossberg is an adhunct professor at Columbia.....bet he makes WAY LESS than a million dollars a year salary.

These people are fucking bulshitters....they dont make a million a year...they are millionauires.....but not even subject to the tax they are saying shopuld be increased.

I mean...who the fuck fell for this?

These millionaires have no trouble whatsoever taking advantage of every loophole they can. If they want to pay more in taxes, just stop taking deductions! Simple.

I don't mind them being stupid, but it's insulting to actually SHOW everyone how stupid they are.

These millionaires have no trouble whatsoever taking advantage of every loophole they can. If they want to pay more in taxes, just stop taking deductions! Simple.

I don't mind them being stupid, but it's insulting to actually SHOW everyone how stupid they are.

the stupid ones are the ones who believe these people.

They are pushing to have those with an income of 1 million a year or more jave their taxes increased.

Yet, they may be millionaires, but they likely dont make a million a year.

Give me a moment...Why is it that most of the obscenity, vulgar, and insulting remarks come from those who closely associate themselves with the "moral" party, the GOP. Not that all of these posts are from the presumed far right, but I do think most of them come from repub leaning posters. Where did I miss something?

You are making a very large and very wrong assumption if you think I am Repugnantcan.

Funny how these so called business mogul millionaires need the fucking government to tell them that they need to pay more. If they think they should pay more then why don't they?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back