Michaelangelo's Beautiful.....Male.... Statues.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
February 18th, 1564, Michelangelo died in Rome.

How is it that Michelangelo's male's, his David, among others are so beautiful and his female figures far less so?

It seems that Michelangelo was hiding.....fighting a secret motivation.

“We see such a dynamic in Michelangelo’s sculptures as well—the majority of which are male. The figure of the woman is only incidental for him, and Michelangelo’s lack of understanding of the female anatomy—such as his awkward placement of breasts and the rendering of female figures with large, manly frames—is evident throughout his career. For example, in another one of his famous sculptures, the Rome Pietà, we see the Madonna not only with oddly shaped breasts and an unusually large frame out of proportion with the Christ figure, but the entirety of her body is covered in heavy robes—almost as if Michelangelo is hiding her.”
From the novel 'The Sculptor," by Gregory Funaro.

"It is impossible to know for certain whether Michelangelo had physical relationships (Condivi ascribed to him a "monk-like chastity"),[60] but the nature of his sexuality is made apparent in his poetry.[61] He wrote over three hundred sonnets and madrigals. The longest sequence displaying a great romantic friendship, was written to Tommaso dei Cavalieri (c. 1509–1587), who was 23 years old when Michelangelo met him in 1532, at the age of 57."
Michelangelo - Wikipedia

"Think of the torment the artist must have gone through, born as he was with an inherent appreciation, an inherent love for the male—both spiritually and sexually. A love that he saw bestowed upon him by God and intrinsically woven into the very nature of his gift—that miraculous gift, given only to the sculptor, to release the figures slumbering in the stone. And thus it was the very nature of this gift that was both Michelangelo’s sanctuary and his prison. This was a gift bestowed upon him by a God who at the same time forbade him to commune with his figures in the flesh—a God who condemned the kind of deep, spiritual love that Michelangelo so desperately craved with Tommaso Cavalieri; a God who gave Michelangelo the power to create beauty, but, in essence, not the permission to touch it.”
Funaro, Op. Cit.

"Despite occasional instances of gossip and innuendo (e.g. Pietro Aretino’s suggestions of pederasty), there is no clear evidence of Michelangelo’s homosexuality or, at least, none indicating overt sexual activity. Indeed, Condivi claimed that Michelangelo was chaste. None the less, the physical beauty of many of his monumental male nudes, such as the David, the Creation of Adam and the decorative male nudes (Ignudi) on the Sistine ceiling, gives a clear indication as to where Michelangelo’s erotic interests lay.

In addition, in 1532 Michelangelo met and fell in love with a young Roman nobleman, Tommaso de’ Cavalieri, described by the humanist Benedetto Varchi as possessing ‘not only incomparable physical beauty, but so much elegance in manners, such excellent intelligence, and such graceful behavior’. Tommaso married in 1538 and had two sons, but Michelangelo remained devoted for the rest of his life, dedicating numerous poems and several presentation drawings to him (e.g. The Rape of Ganymede, 1532). However, when Michelangelo’s nephew and namesake eventually published over one hundred poems in 1623, any suggestion of homosexuality was effaced by altering the gender of the poems’ subjects and addressees."
Michelangelo - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, and Allied Resource Office - UIS

It seems the artist must suffer for his art.

Leonardo is also accused of homosexuality. However, all the females looked that way back then probably because it was the accepted norm. All artists couldn't have been gay. And more likely more into the message than getting guys all hot and bothered. They had male models and stuck boobs on the art.

it is very likely that Michelangelo did not have the opportunity to study female
anatomy. ------available corpses for study were usually dead criminals. It
might have been difficult to get nude female models

it is very likely that Michelangelo did not have the opportunity to study female
I'm sure whores were available but probably frowned on a bit since most art was paid for by the church and high society types.

Leonardo is also accused of homosexuality. However, all the females looked that way back then probably because it was the accepted norm. All artists couldn't have been gay. And more likely more into the message than getting guys all hot and bothered. They had male models and stuck boobs on the art.

michelangelo-night.jpg

"....Michelangelo’s female figures look like “men with breasts”...true that many of the female figures in renaissance paintings were based on male models – this is common practice, and goes well beyond Michelangelo. There were more men available around a painter’s workshop after all. What’s not true is that it necessarily made for unconvincing women – Raphael’s St Catherine of Alexandria was based on a male model, and I don’t see her as particularly androgynous.

.... there’s plenty of evidence for renaissance artists having naked women models, especially after 1500 –

....If Michelangelo, then, knew what women’s bodies looked like, and was clearly able to draw them (being quite handy at drawing), we have to assume that the appearance of his women was through deliberate choice rather than ignorance."
Men with Breasts (Or Why are Michelangelo’s Women so Muscular?) Part 1

"There was also, however, women in this period who would take their clothes off in return for payment or other favours; it’s probably best not to make assumptions about women’s lives in the past based solely on the evidence from a social elite. Although there’s not very many drawings after the female nude still in existence, there’s plenty of evidence for renaissance artists having naked women models,
....If Michelangelo, then, knew what women’s bodies looked like, and was clearly able to draw them (being quite handy at drawing), we have to assume that the appearance of his women was through deliberate choice rather than ignorance."

i read that he wrote in his notebook that female/male intercourse disgusted him..... his biographer Guido Sarducci said he called Michelangelo a pompous fata.....

"...the male figures in Michelangelo’s work are always exquisitely rendered with a kind of detail and authenticity out of proportion to the female—detail that indisputably proves the artist’s obsession with the male anatomy. And so it is also through such flawless rendering that we see the classical dynamic of ancient Greece played out not only in the final execution of Michelangelo’s sculptures, but also in his experience of sculpting them, for it was only through his work that Michelangelo could come close to communing with what he saw as divinely inspired beauty—a beauty, for him, accessible only by the sculptor’s hand.”
Funaro, Op. Cit.

You RWNJs get stranger and stranger. I written before that I had two bookstores in Denver malls. As usual, remainders were put on tables near the entrance. I would have my clerks rearrange them, clean the tables, that sort of thing. One day, a woman came storming in, all but hysterical about the huge Michelangelo art book that faced out to the mall because the cover was the David statue. She ranted cover the penis or move the book. We all had a good laugh about her but I did move the book. Wanna bet she voted for King TrumpleThinSkin?

At the Louvre, you walk past gazillions of incredible sculptures, really stunning art. And then you see Michelangelo's Slaves and the difference is beyond words.

His work truly glows from within.

You RWNJs get stranger and stranger. I written before that I had two bookstores in Denver malls. As usual, remainders were put on tables near the entrance. I would have my clerks rearrange them, clean the tables, that sort of thing. One day, a woman came storming in, all but hysterical about the huge Michelangelo art book that faced out to the mall because the cover was the David statue. She ranted cover the penis or move the book. We all had a good laugh about her but I did move the book. Wanna bet she voted for King TrumpleThinSkin?

At the Louvre, you walk past gazillions of incredible sculptures, really stunning art. And then you see Michelangelo's Slaves and the difference is beyond words.

His work truly glows from within.
:anj_stfu::slap::asshole:

i'm also thinking female nude models were not available at the time....

i read that he wrote in his notebook that female/male intercourse disgusted him..... his biographer Guido Sarducci said he called Michelangelo a pompous fata.....
Leo and him were at odds. Michaelangelo was a bit of a hothead and quite arrogant. That's how his nose got like it was. He ridiculed some farm boys painting in class and the guy crushed his nose. But I have no idea if he was gay.

For a fee, there have been females available since day one.

"There was also, however, women in this period who would take their clothes off in return for payment or other favours; it’s probably best not to make assumptions about women’s lives in the past based solely on the evidence from a social elite. Although there’s not very many drawings after the female nude still in existence, there’s plenty of evidence for renaissance artists having naked women models, especially after 1500 –"

"There was also, however, women in this period who would take their clothes off in return for payment or other favours; it’s probably best not to make assumptions about women’s lives in the past based solely on the evidence from a social elite. Although there’s not very many drawings after the female nude still in existence, there’s plenty of evidence for renaissance artists having naked women models, especially after 1500 –"
so, michelanglo never felt comfortable in hiring them? he's clearly using male models for his females, outside of some faces/heads...??

so, michelanglo never felt comfortable in hiring them? he's clearly using male models for his females, outside of some faces/heads...??
The pope shot down his procurement request.

I've had the privilege of seeing his work in person while vacationing in Rome....he was unbelievably talented....almost, beyond reason...

I've had the privilege of seeing his work in person while vacationing in Rome....he was unbelievably talented....almost, beyond reason...

And, I, the same...several times.
You probably saw the Moses, as well. The mark on the knee was Michaelangelo striking the statue with his hammer...shouting 'Why don't you speak!'

Moises.jpg

I'm sure whores were available but probably frowned on a bit since most art was paid for by the church and high society types.

Michelangelo hanged out in the homes the MEDICIS and in the Vatican----AND
you do not get to DISSECT whores-----he bought his autopsy materials from potter's
fields.

Forum List

Back