Mexico plans immediate action on US imports after WTO tuna ruling

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Source: reuters
The Mexican economy ministry said on Tuesday it would immediately initiate the process of taking retaliatory steps against U.S. imports following a ruling by the World Trade Organization in Mexico's favor in a dispute over tuna.

"Mexico will immediately seek authorization ... to suspend benefits, and in parallel, will initiate the internal procedures necessary to make said suspension effective against imports of products from the USA," the ministry said in a statement.

Mexico had complained to the WTO about U.S. tuna labeling rules that it said unfairly penalized its fishing industry, and had asked for retaliatory sanctions of $472.3 million, which it planned to impose on imports of U.S. high-fructose corn syrup.

Ruling on the tuna dispute, a WTO arbitrator said earlier on Tuesday that Mexico can impose annual trade sanctions worth $163.23 million against the United States.

Read more: Mexico plans immediate action on US imports after WTO tuna ruling

OK,

The orange clown is creating an atmosphere of hostility with our neighbors to the north and south. I don't think this is going to work out well for the US.

The Mexican economy ministry said on Tuesday it would immediately initiate the process of taking retaliatory steps against U.S. imports following a ruling by the World Trade Organization in Mexico's favor in a dispute over tuna.

"Mexico will immediately seek authorization ... to suspend benefits, and in parallel, will initiate the internal procedures necessary to make said suspension effective against imports of products from the USA," the ministry said in a statement.

Mexico had complained to the WTO about U.S. tuna labeling rules that it said unfairly penalized its fishing industry, and had asked for retaliatory sanctions of $472.3 million, which it planned to impose on imports of U.S. high-fructose corn syrup.

Ruling on the tuna dispute, a WTO arbitrator said earlier on Tuesday that Mexico can impose annual trade sanctions worth $163.23 million against the United States.

OK,
Does Mexico really think they can win a trade war with the US?

We are out of the TTP, we are trying to force unilateral concessions in NAFTA, do you think that it will be just Mexico that will be reacting in the manner than Mexico is at present.

And what do you mean, win a trade war? In such a situation, there are only losers. And some of the biggest losers will be the corn farmers in the US Mid-west.

The orange clown is creating an atmosphere of hostility with our neighbors to the north and south. I don't think this is going to work out well for the US.
the 'orange clown'?

IF you had read the article, this has been in the works since 2008.

and, altogether now....

IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT.

Last edited:
We are out of the TTP, we are trying to force unilateral concessions in NAFTA, do you think that it will be just Mexico that will be reacting in the manner than Mexico is at present.

And what do you mean, win a trade war? In such a situation, there are only losers. And some of the biggest losers will be the corn farmers in the US Mid-west.
Given the US - Mexico trade imbalance we hold all the cards if Mexico wants to go down this road.

OK,

You do know the reason for the dispute, right? Mexico is pissed about the whole "dolphin safe" labeling thing.

Should trump drop those rules? I though enviro-idiots like you were in support of those labeling laws?

WTO ruling favors Mexico in US 'dolphin-safe' tuna spat

The World Trade Organization ruled Tuesday that Mexico's tuna industry has been harmed by U.S. "dolphin-safe" labeling rules and says the country can seek retaliatory measures worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

So what you are saying is Trump should drop the Tuna Safe labeling requirements that are the crux of this dispute?

Now I say this in a respectful way, Americans have to put their Big Boy pants on and realize that there are going to be some battles as America fights for fair trade and fair practices. Does this mean some trade battles and maybe even wars? Possibly. That's the short term cost for long term fairness, prosperity and employment pursuits by hard working, qualified Americans.

There were issues with Canada not labelling their meat and we have been fighting this forever also. If a country is so proud and supportive of it's products; especially and particularly if they are food, why would they be against labelling the source of such products? This is a health and safety issue and I see no problem with such labelling, I sure as hell want the meat and food products I buy in Canada to be clearly labelled!

My dog became violently sick twice on dollar store dog treats. Both times I found they were made in China, told my wife not to buy that crap anymore. I myself became very sick and still have the taste in my mouth from eating tuna produced in Thailand. My wife thought it was a great deal 2 for $1, well let me tell you, it is three months later and that taste is in my memory.

Bottom line: stop thinking that America fighting the good fight is someone "protectionism". It isn't. What is protectionism are nations entering corporations and spreading interest in unions. It's in excessive, government run agencies setting regulations and barriers to your business pursuits and violating human rights. It's producing sub-par products that might even be bad for your health and safety and thinking you will get a free pass because the government or WTO will defend you.

America is the Good Guy in the majority of these battles, they are certainly the most dynamic economy in the world. The WTO had better start looking at the big picture before they become as bloated and obsolete as the UN.

Very interesting subject reading up a little on it:

And there’s reason why eco-conscious consumers in particular might want that information. Unlike Mexican fisheries, the major U.S. producers catch tuna using fish aggregation devices (FADs), a practice that activists have condemned as “floating death traps” because of its high incidence of bycatch. Dolphins aren’t the only creatures threatened by irresponsible tuna fishing.

It is no accident then that the major U.S. tuna producers who support and benefit from the dolphin-safe label are counted by activists as among the worst offenders on sustainable fishing practices. Greenpeace released a Canned Tuna Shopping Guide earlier this year. They take into account multiple factors like the health of tuna stocks, traceability, and even “ethical labor practices.” The guide ranks major U.S. brands at the bottom for failing on almost all measures.

And what does Greenpeace have to say about the dolphin safe label? “Dolphin safe does not mean ocean safe. It means that one fishing method that targets tuna that swim with dolphins is not used to catch the tuna. What about the rays and turtles?!”

'Dolphin Safe' Labels On Canned Tuna Are A Fraud

Then we have the US companies owned by Thailand and S. Korea scamming us.

Top executives from the three largest US shelf stable seafood brands were involved in collusion on prices and agreed to under-fill cans, along with parent companies Thai Union Group and Dongwon Industries, it is alleged in updated civil lawsuits filed in court.

As the US Department of Justice (DOJ) proceeds with a criminal investigation of price fixing in the $2.6 billion shelf stable seafood market by the three largest companies, Bumble Bee Foods, Dongwon-owned Starkist and Thai Union-owned Tri-Union Seafoods -- which trades as Chicken of the Sea -- fresh allegations are contained in amended civil complaints filed on May 23, 2016.

Top Bumble Bee, Starkist, Chicken of the Sea execs named in updated tuna price fixing lawsuits

Progressives standing with the Mexicans to allow the to import their diseased tuna into the USA
It's the Right that favors doing away with the EPA, even though it came to be during the Nixon administration.
when the epa goes after a farmer with a small pond on his farm in wyoming, yes, the epa deserves to be done away with.
You are not allowed to dam up running water.
Ever heard of a weir?
How about a diversion point?

I doubt it. Probably only what you read on the web.

OK,
Does Mexico really think they can win a trade war with the US?

By themselves...probably not. But from all sides? Yeah.

Forum List

Back