Mexican plant slaughters U.S. horses for human consumption.

Wolfmoon

U B U & I'll B Me 4 USA!
Jan 15, 2009
PROUD, USA
Horse slaughter conditions in Mexico explored by AAEP group - March 1, 2009
Debate over the practice continues in Congress

Excerpt:

The Department of Agriculture figures, close to 80,000 horses from the United States traveled to Mexico for slaughter. About 1,000 horses are processed a week. To get a better idea of how the Mexican horse slaughter industry operates, a delegation representing the American Association of Equine Practitioners arranged a tour of two Mexican slaughter facilities in the central Mexican city of Zacatecas. "All of the American horses arrive in sealed trailers," Dr. Lenz said, noting that the horses aren't unloaded or sold anywhere, but go straight from the border to the plant. The facility ships the meat to Japan and Europe for human consumption.

"If you look at it from the hard perspective of the meat industry, they're in the business to produce meat. They don't want an injured or down or stressed horse any more than they have to, because it affects the meat quality,"

—DR. TOM R. LENZ, FORMER AAEP PRESIDENT

I ate some horse once in Japan. It was very lean and kinda' tasteless, sorta like cows tongue but not as chewy.
From the article:
Overall, the group's assessment of the trip concluded that both plants use captive bolt in a humane and efficient manner, and the horses were well-cared-for and properly handled.
So what's the problem? :confused:

Forum List

Back