"Merry Christmas" Versus "Season Greetings"...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Is it a big deal?

The Big Difference Between Trump and Obama's Holiday Cards? It's all about Christmas

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 6.56.03 AM.png

The new cards, signed by Barron, Melania and President Trump read
"Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year."

There are obvious comparisons between the Obama's official Christmas cards and the Trumps' first Christmas card.

The last eight years of official White House Christmas cards all neglected to mention Christmas, President Obama opting instead for all-inclusive terms such as "Seasons Greetings."

"You go to stores, you don't see the word Christmas. It says 'happy holidays' all over," Donald Trump proclaimed in the past.

Now President Trump has vowed to take on the so-called war on Christmas.
The Big Difference Between Trump and Obama's Holiday Cards? It's all about Christmas

I don't purchase the holiday stuff...no holiday punch, cookies, or cards packaged. But I will admit there is much more merchandise with merry Christmas this year. Dollar tree has much more and I'm seeing it printed on tshirts and mugs.

I think the PC shackles are just off so folks are finally where I'm at - basically, ain't my problem if you choose to be offended by a well meaning saying ~shrug~

I don't see it as a big deal. Listening to a sermon yesterday, I agreed with the pastor's point that it isn't so much about putting Christ back into Christmas but rather putting Christ back into Christian. A few years ago I quit sending out Christmas cards and instead opted for Easter cards.

Is it a big deal?

View attachment 164262
The new cards, signed by Barron, Melania and President Trump read
"Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year."

There are obvious comparisons between the Obama's official Christmas cards and the Trumps' first Christmas card.

The last eight years of official White House Christmas cards all neglected to mention Christmas, President Obama opting instead for all-inclusive terms such as "Seasons Greetings."

"You go to stores, you don't see the word Christmas. It says 'happy holidays' all over," Donald Trump proclaimed in the past.

Now President Trump has vowed to take on the so-called war on Christmas.
"Allah Akbar" is the new "Merry Christmas". Get used to it.

I think the PC shackles are just off so folks are finally where I'm at - basically, ain't my problem if you choose to be offended by a well meaning saying ~shrug~

Except are you really being "Well Meaning" when you say it, or is it, "I'm going to impose my religion on the rest of you!"

Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians.
Most of the rest, 13 percent, have no religion.
That leaves just 4 percent as adherents of all non-Christian religions combined — Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and a smattering of individual mentions.
Poll: Most Americans Say They're Christian

MEDIA ADVISORY, Dec. 22 /Christian Newswire/ -- A Fox News poll reveals most Americans say "Merry Christmas." The poll taken December 9-10 shows 77% of Americans prefer "Merry Christmas" as opposed to saying something with less meaning.

The poll found that larger numbers of Republicans (87%) say "Merry Christmas", but Christmas numbers were lower with Democrats at 72%.
Most Americans Say 'Merry Christmas' - Christian Newswire

Just the facts

Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians.
Most of the rest, 13 percent, have no religion.
That leaves just 4 percent as adherents of all non-Christian religions combined — Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and a smattering of individual mentions.
Poll: Most Americans Say They're Christian

MEDIA ADVISORY, Dec. 22 /Christian Newswire/ -- A Fox News poll reveals most Americans say "Merry Christmas." The poll taken December 9-10 shows 77% of Americans prefer "Merry Christmas" as opposed to saying something with less meaning.

The poll found that larger numbers of Republicans (87%) say "Merry Christmas", but Christmas numbers were lower with Democrats at 72%.
Most Americans Say 'Merry Christmas' - Christian Newswire

Just the facts

So what?

Hey, you know what, I'd be more impressed with Christians if they actually did the stuff Jesus said to do than how much they want to impose their silliness on the rest of us and commercialize their God-man's birth.

Except are you really being "Well Meaning" when you say it, or is it, "I'm going to impose my religion on the rest of you!"
The United States is basically a Secularized Christian Nation...

Its holidays (Holy Days) and holiday greetings are oriented towards Christianity.

The New World is basically Nova Europa, which, in turn, is the historical seat and bastion of Western Christianity, once removed from its Middle Eastern origins.

That makes the New World - and Oceania - permanent extensions of Christendom.

If one is unhappy living within Christendom, one should seek sustenance elsewhere.

Last edited:
^ I'm not surprised by those tidbits healthmyths

I'm kind of biased though, Alaska never stopped saying Merry Christmas... It's like a whole different country up here, they say it's 50s America. ~shrug~

This is a smaller issue in a much bigger picture: There are people who are doing everything they can to wipe as many long-standing American traditions from public as possible.

They've made their opinions of this country clear, and they're trying to change it into something entirely different - "fundamental transformation".

The ironic part is, they're so quick to leverage the Constitution - a document, they scream, is outdated and written by rich white slave rapists - to do it.

This is a smaller issue in a much bigger picture: There are people who are doing everything they can to wipe as many long-standing American traditions from public as possible.

They've made their opinions of this country clear, and they're trying to change it into something entirely different - "fundamental transformation".

The ironic part is, they're so quick to leverage the Constitution - a document, they scream, is outdated and written by rich white slave rapists - to do it.

That's the unfortunate truth right there :/

Bullshit.

Who are you talking about?

I have no problem with either greeting and never understood anyone that complained about either. In officials work emails and such I will always say "holiday season" as I know that not everyone celebrates Christmas so why would I want to leave them out?

At the same time my work area is decorated to the brim with Christmas decorations, lights, garland, and the whole works.

The war on Christmas was just some stupid shit made up by the likes of Rush and Hannity and ORiley to sell books and ad time on their TV shows.

For the folks that complain that Christmas is a religious holiday, I just laugh at you as well. While there are some people that tie a religious story to the holiday, for the most part it is just an excuse for excess. Japan is one of the least Christian nations on the planet and they celebrate Christmas in a huge way, nothing religious about it.

The United States is basically a Secularized Christian Nation...

Its holidays (Holy Days) and holiday greetings are oriented towards Christianity.

The New World is basically Nova Europa, which, in turn, is the historical seat and bastion of Western Christianity, once removed from its Middle Eastern origins.

That makes the New World - and Oceania - permanent extensions of Christendom.

If one is unhappy living within Christendom, one should seek sustenance elsewhere.

So why are we still following fairy tales from the Bronze Age again?

I mean, we have computers and space shuttles and science and shit, and we are still celebrating this myth about a guy with a virgin mother who came back as a Zombie.

christianity-the-belief-that-some-cosmic-jewish-zombie-can-make-you.jpg

Yeah, Mac, I don't have space in your head.

The thing was, those Rich White Slave Rapists were also Deists. They didn't believe in the Bronze Age Fairy Tales any more than I do.

Here's the problem with that. Christmas is hardly a "long standing tradition". The current commercialized version with Santa Claus ( A largely made up character because Father Christmas was too British for our tastes) is a fairly recent invention. Most Christmas traditions date back less than two centuries.

Now, that said, I enjoy the Christmas season. I love Christmas songs, I like the decorations, I enjoy shopping for my family.

What annoys me is the Bible Thumpers pretending that when someone want to say, "Hey some of us aren't all that into this celebration" that it's some kind of war on their faith. When in fact, Christmas just isn't a big part of Christianity.

Forum List

Back