Merit pay for teachers may not work, research shows

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Sep 22, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Merit pay for teachers who improve students scores may not work, research shows | NJ.com

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I feel quite sorry for teachers. Being set unachievable targets to teach kids who don't want to learn is just mindless.

Merit pay won't work. Throwing money at these problems never works. The only way to solve it is to force parents to take their children's education seriously.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Exactly. I read an interesting article recently that said although test scores may look abysmal, the fact is that graduation rates have soared. So the statistics are skewed. More and more disaffected, unmotivated, and just plain dumb kids are staying in school. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however it does make teaching that much more difficult, and ultimately pulls down the scores (and the rigor of the curriculum).

The only practical solution I've heard is Samson's. Vocational ed. for the non-academic kid. Learning a skilled trade would benefit the child AND society as a whole. Forcing Physics on kids with an 80 IQ just doesn't make a whole lotta sense to people in the real world.

But the academia and bureaucrats always think money is the magic bullet. There is no magic bullet.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    While the US has always been for educating 'all,' in reality it used to be that those who couldn't do secondary school would leave and work in factories or in trades of one sort or another. Since Sputnik, it changed. Slowly but surely the Fed has crept into the education business, culminating in NCLB, entrenching/punishing schools with what began with Public Law 94-142 and IDEA.

It's pretty common sense what works, tracking. Special classes for those with handicaps or behavior that cannot be overcome by modifications in a regular classroom.

5. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Amen to all your posts ladies!

As educators, we've "been there/done that" and know things need to change, but how that will come about is the million/billion dollar question.

The FIRST THING is getting parents more involved in their child's education, and the next step is fixing what's not working.

And yes, more Voc Ed for those students not on the college track will not only help them, but society as a whole too. :thup:

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You know we are in total agreement regarding parents parenting. I think it imperative that schools try to educate parents through meetings and newsletters what 'good parents' should expect and do to help their kids. However, we can only deal with what we can control and parents are not one of those things. Encourage? Of course. Make them do right? No in this lifetime.

We all bemoan how bad parents are today. My guess, if our great grandparents had been teachers way back when, they too would have had to deal with the results of bad parents. ;)

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    I've always been in agreement with this.

Starting early, there should be two tracks of education that students would take...either traditional college prep, or vocational. A student wouldn't be forced into one or the other, or locked into one or the other, or be unable to take classes from either...but based on the students own wishes and goals, and based on teacher recommendations, students would enter one of the two tracks.

The vocational ed track would still have math and reading and other classes that would enhance critical thinking...but the main emphasis would be on classes that would teach the student skills and a trade. I believe that shifting education to this style would help America in the long run.

8. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    I agree with this statement completely. The question in front of us now is how do we foster an understanding of the importance of education in parents who never received the benefit of a good education themselves?

9. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    :clap2::clap2::clap2: for your comments regarding voc ed.

However, I invite you to define what you mean by, "Getting parents more involved in their child's education."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ave-been-called-to-the-principals-office.html

It appears to me that this is only so much lip-service from bureaucrats: On the one hand they LOVE to talk about the evils of uninvolved parents, but on the other they passively resist parents that may be deemed, "too involved."

Essentially, they want parents to solve problems that exist, but are highly critical of anything parents may suggest that may PROACTIVELY prevent the same problems. While THEY KNOW what the best parenting techniques should be, HEAVEN FORBID a parent should make any pedagoglogical suggestion!!!!

BTW: You heard it hear first folks: I'm writing a Book Titled: Called to The Principal's Office.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  10. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    My town has two high schools, one of which is a vocational school.