Memorial Day Weekend!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
It's a nice LONG weekend for me.

Of course here we have the Indy 500 on Sunday. Today is Carb day, the town will be hopping all weekend.

What else is happening in your parts of the good ole' USA?

I'm looking forward to the 3 days, but will stop by the cemetery and drop off some flags, say a prayer:

BLACKFIVE: Memorial Day - They Sacrificed their tomorrows for us

"If our eyes grow dull, other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain to us." - General Orders No.11, WASHINGTON, D.C., May 5, 1868, Headquarters, Grand Army of the Republic​

"The solemn trust."

"Ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain in us."

The quote above is from the order establishing a day in May to gather and present flowers upon the graves of the Fallen.

In other words, it is our duty to remember those who gave all on Memorial Day. The General Order continues:

Let us, then, at the time appointed gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with the choicest flowers of spring-time; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved from dishonor; let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us a sacred charge upon a nation's gratitude, the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan.​
As it was one hundred and forty one years ago, it is the same today.

Of course here we have the Indy 500 on Sunday. Today is Carb day, the town will be hopping all weekend.

Just an extra day off for me. I'll think of something but he's got to work Saturday and Sunday.

Do you think that it would be ok if I flew my Iranian flag on memorial day weekend?

Would you be raising your flag to honor soldiers from your country who died in battle? Or are you just trolling, as per your usual MO?

FAmily coming to visit. Possibly oodles of them..my mom and sister are traveling to Eugene to the graves of my mother's (and I think my sister's POS father, who had the audacity to be buried nearby, as if he were really a member of the family) family....my uncles, my grandma and grandfather, my aunties, cousins, and eventually my mom all will rest there. But they'll be swinging by my house on the way and on the way back, I THINK (everything is always up in the air, one never knows). And if they do, they'll be bringing my sister-in-law from Florida, who is in the area because her mother is dying or has died, and wants to see her old horse (who I have now). I guess she'll be staying the weekend if that happens...again, I just don't know.

I DO know my son and his little family are coming...but again, I don't know on what day. They will stay through Monday, though. I suspect they might not come until Saturday, because she works.

Meanwhile, I'll be cooking and cleaning. I don't have a barbecue! And that really sucks. I'm getting one the next time I travel out of town, I've decided. And I'm getting a decent one, not one of those stupid little ones.

We'll be sticking close to home. I think there's stuff going on here this weekend...a car show, at the very least, and I see the local businesses have their big smoker/barbecue rigs out so they're expecting ppl. My son's into the cars, so if there's a car show he'll be happy.

70 degrees and sunny.

Brother visiting.

Cousin visiting.

Grandparents visiting.

Barbeque.

Gardening.

USMB.

Forum List

Back