Medical Advance??

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Moi, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    (CNN) -- The announcement by South Korean scientists that they had created human embryos by cloning and extracted embryonic stem cells has raised concerns around the world.

"The South Korean experiment disturbingly goes significantly further. It produces human embryos for the explicit purpose of fatally mining them to obtain bodily materials for experimental purposes."

However, groups calling for cures for specific diseases disagree, arguing that human embryos are destroyed daily in fertility clinics, in abortions and in natural miscarriages.

"We don't care where they find a cure for this disease," Bob Goldstein of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation added.

read the entire article here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/13/science.clone/index.html

I'm sorry, but is anyone else horrified by this Goldstein's statement that they don't care where they find a cure for a disease? This whole issue not only horrifies me because of the whole embryo thing but also because of the rather naive belief that curing disease is without consequences. There is always a quid pro quo in this world.

What if humankind found out that the way to cure a disease involves every baby being born blind. I mean, hey, they'd live right? What's the big deal if they go without eyes so that others don't have to have a disease? Sounds farfetched, but the repercussions of creating an embryo just to extract stuff from it is truly disturbing to me. Where does it end?

2. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I guess the small amount "harvested" at child birth was not enough to answer the need...somethings I do believe are sacred, this being one of them...they keep this crap up it will be the down fall of mankind.....some weird shit disease will develop from all the monkeying around and we will cease to exist...

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    You're trying to set up a straw-man to knock down. The "embyo" was at the blastocyst stage, about 100 cells and in no way resembles anything even remotely human. It is NOT a human life...It is a basically undifferentiated mass of cells. Trying to cal it a human life is a grossly ignorant overstatement that serves no useful purpose.

The stem cells harvested from such a blastocyst are genetically identical to those of the donor, thus decreasing the risk of rejection of those stem cells when used in treating a disease, like juvenile diabetes.

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Apparently he must first learn to read as well as spell. For no where in my post was the word "human" used in reference to an embyo [sic] nor did I in any way state that my objection was in any way predicated on an E-M-B-R-Y-O being human.

5. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    No old son...But it was implicit.

6. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I dont care for the ramifacations of it....good,bad or indifferent...its wrong...you dont mess with mother nature...shes a class grade a bitch...

7. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    make that a capital A

8. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you had particular questions you wished to raise, the commonly accepted polite format is to pose them to the author. I did not state nor imply that my objection to this research was because an embryo is human (I did not, in fact, state whether I believed one was or wasn't). What I stated, rather plainly for those with a general command of the English language, is that the embryo research troubles me and that I found it quite disturbing that someone would say that they did not care about how a cure to a disease was founded.

There are many areas in which so-called scientific advances have resulted in dire consequences- drug resistant bacteria ring any bells? The thought that scientists (or their advocates) are not mindful of the generation and consequences of this type of research is scary to me. I do not avail myself of such wonder drugs and medical miracles. However, I cannot live my life unaffected by their existence. It is my hope that by voicing concerns people begin to tread slowly and research the consequences of actions rather than just travel the swift, blind road to scientific glory.

9. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    The means seldom justify the ends. The example you used (blind babies) was flawed.

10. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    may be somewhat flawed..to you....I understood what Moi was attemptting to imply.. I too feel this road that science has choosen to go down...if they must go down it at all, should be very slowly as to not endanger the entire human race....It cant be that hard to see, understand or comprehend....