Media pummels solar industry!

Discussion in 'Environment' started by skookerasbil, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,200
    If you have FOG then the output is reduced significantly as it is with clouds, rain, and dust. You are essentially breaking even.

A lot of your story will not pass the smell test... The more I think about your claims and what I have observed first hand building and maintaining these systems, tells me your way deep in debt for this yet..

Given the numbers you provided, absent other public funding, you have a long 12 or so years ahead of you where you have yet to need systems repairs...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. polarbear

polarbear I eat morons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Not disputing what you say, but surely you realize that not all power companies are as non-committal regarding solar power. Many of them aggressively push it...like Skook was saying, using pushy door to door sales tactics.
    I know for sure that Manitiba Hydro for example, could not care less what kind of papers & certifications you have and would fail your installation no matter if it was up to code. Many people here found out the hard way. They hired local contractors who routinely wired up new houses to install back-up systems like solar and there was no problem...until the government changed from conservative to liberal. First thing they did was to "create jobs", ranging from bylaw inspectors who fine you for an "unlicensed garage sale" to all kinds of other inspectors retro-actively enforcing regulations that the new government created....including any such electrical systems that have been installed without their permission. Hell, needing Trump to scrap similar Obama regulation crap, you should know !!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,200
    I worked through the Carter regulation madness and the Clinton/Obama mess as well. I understand your point. I just made sure when I did things that I had approvals in writing before I started the work and that I made them put the requirements in writing. There was very little quibbling after the fact. My Law Enforcement Training probably saved a whole lot of grief in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. polarbear

polarbear I eat morons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    There was very little quibbling after the fact. My Law Enforcement Training probably saved a whole lot of grief in the long run.
    What a weird coincidence. I Germany where I am from Military service was compulsory when you were 18. I joined the BGS which was created because the occupying American forces thought it would really piss off the Soviets if the demilitarized eastern Border of West Germany is patrolled by a police force dressed in recycled SS Uniforms and steel helmets that were dyed green. Later in my life before I retired it was my job to re-vamp the soft & hardware for power plants the military has in the high arctic. So it was kind of funny to have Manitoba Hydro freak out when I installed my own system in a house my wife owned on an Indian Reservation.
    A house that was built at a time when they still used asbestos in all the attics and was scheduled to be torn down anyway...compare that scenario to what`s involved in a full scale power plant on military bases in the arctic. They would laugh their head off if you would send them an electrician who worked for Manitoba Hydro to do what I had to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. polarbear

polarbear I eat morons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I have gas for everything but lights and the micro.
    If you already use gas for everything else you could have installed a (natural) gas generator for ~ $ 10 000 less than what you paid for this Mickey-mouse 1 point whatever kW solar system and have 9 kW whenever you want it.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Generac-7030-...ocphy=9001172&hvtargid=pla-434623698917&psc=1

Generac 7030 Guardian Series 9kW/8kW Air Cooled Home Standby Generator with 16 Circuit 100 Amp Transfer Switch
    Price: CDN$ 3,459.00
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. Pilot1

Pilot1 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Wind, and solar are a greenie, feel good JOKE. Real power comes from burning dead dinosaurs, or splitting atoms, hydro, etc. All wind, and solar does is drive up energy costs for consumers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tax Man

Tax Man Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    They will last about 20 years and way longer than electricity rates at the current level.

8. Tax Man

Tax Man Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    The panels are warranted for 20 years. I get 1.8kw generation most every day of the year from 10 am to 4 pm. I have a very good system. And clouds do not change the output very much at all and rain does not hamper output either.

9. Tax Man

Tax Man Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    It seems to me you guys are spouting uninformed rhetoric about home electrical systems and solar or wind turbine installations to reduce greenhouse gasses. In my area fog is a night time blessing that clears by 8 or so in the morning and works wonders to control heat.
    By the way I was a licensed contractor and built homes for a few years. Being a tax man came from my education in business about tax credits and the tax law.
    Your attempts to make me feel guilty for installing solar will not work as I am very happy.

10. Toddsterpatriot

Toddsterpatriot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,634
    240 months at $114 a month gives you $27,360 worth of savings on a $15,000 investment.
    About a 3.1% annual return. Doesn't look very impressive.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1