Media pummels solar industry!

1.8 kw with 8 panels. I paid $15,000 and pay nothing except my $11.09 a month to be connected to the grid sO I can sell my excess generation back to them.
Thanks for the info, but I think you gave me the panel system rating instead of what you actually get out of it.
Even then 1.8 kw peak power is quite low, too low for most households unless nobody else runs cooks something on the stove while you have a hot shower....or if you use gas for all the other appliances that heat something.
Even a small ac sucks back 750 watts that leaves you with only ~ 1000 watts for everything else.
As soon as you use a small microwave oven you are already down to nothing. Meaning you would have to dry your laundry on a clothesline. You won`t find many average size families that would be willing to fork over $ 15 000 and downsize their power consumption to be within that low range.
Kinda where I was going.... The math does not add up... Pretty much a BS story... but I was going to do it through facts he presented.
Funnier than that is the argument that solar panels are getting cheaper all the time. As if that would matter because you are not allowed to buy them and install them yourself. The contractors which are accredited to install the system have been inflating their prices by far more than the reduction in solar panel prices.
I can buy them as I used to service off-grid systems for telecommunications sites. Those sites also had battery backups that could last 3-5 days of no sun. We usually designed them with PMA wind generators and some of those sites can go weeks without sun.

The problem is lay persons who do not understand how or why these systems work. They will spout all kinds of crap..

Of course you can
1.8 kw with 8 panels. I paid $15,000 and pay nothing except my $11.09 a month to be connected to the grid sO I can sell my excess generation back to them.
Thanks for the info, but I think you gave me the panel system rating instead of what you actually get out of it.
Even then 1.8 kw peak power is quite low, too low for most households unless nobody else runs cooks something on the stove while you have a hot shower....or if you use gas for all the other appliances that heat something.
Even a small ac sucks back 750 watts that leaves you with only ~ 1000 watts for everything else.
As soon as you use a small microwave oven you are already down to nothing. Meaning you would have to dry your laundry on a clothesline. You won`t find many average size families that would be willing to fork over $ 15 000 and downsize their power consumption to be within that low range.
Kinda where I was going.... The math does not add up... Pretty much a BS story... but I was going to do it through facts he presented.
Funnier than that is the argument that solar panels are getting cheaper all the time. As if that would matter because you are not allowed to buy them and install them yourself. The contractors which are accredited to install the system have been inflating their prices by far more than the reduction in solar panel prices.
I can buy them as I used to service off-grid systems for telecommunications sites. Those sites also had battery backups that could last 3-5 days of no sun. We usually designed them with PMA wind generators and some of those sites can go weeks without sun.

The problem is lay persons who do not understand how or why these systems work. They will spout all kinds of crap..
Of course you can, but they won`t allow you to install them yourself to a residential home which is hooked up to the power grid unless you tell not only the power company, your home insurance company, the fire inspector and every other city bylaw inspector the power company you just pissed off will send to your house to f-off as well. They make a killing on the installation, not on the panels and hound you with inspections till you cry uncle.

Of course you can

Of course you can, but they won`t allow you to install them yourself to a residential home which is hooked up to the power grid unless you tell not only the power company, your home insurance company, the fire inspector and every other city bylaw inspector the power company you just pissed off will send to your house to f-off as well. They make a killing on the installation, not on the panels and hound you with inspections till you cry uncle.
I still have my journeyman's electricians license. I can still sign off on these but I would never put one ON my own home. NEVER! But I do use one that is adjacent to my home with clearly indicated cut-off's. Fire departments do what they call surround and drown only if they can cut off power to the inverter. If they cant disconnect the panels they watch it burn and protect homes around you. To high of a chance of electrocution. I've even given the fire chief here a full tour and instructions on how to disconnect.

So it can be done safely but if you do not have training it can become a real problem real fast. As for pissing off the power company, as long as I pay the line maintenance fee on time they don't bother me.

Where I live you must get permission to attach and even then they pay just 0.02cents per k/hr and if it exceeds your bill amount they are not required to pay you at all. It does not pay to put them up or on here, but I like the convenience of not freezing when it gets 40 below zero and the wind is blowing in winter time and the line servicing your home might take weeks to get repaired.

and pay nothing except my $11.09 a month

What was your old monthly bill?
My electricity was much cheaper then as there have been two increases since I went solar. I think it was about 125 a month but could be wrong.
You might even be paying for my solar as I got a 30% tax credit. That was $4,000 some dollars. So I wound up with only $10,000 something to pay. As for what I get paid is 5 cents a killowatt.

I have gas for everything but lights and the micro. Do not need or use AC as this is California and we have a natural AC called fog. As for what I get I have a meter that tells me so I know how much PG&E is to pay me for my gas bill. The system is rated for 200 kwh a month.

Of course you can

I still have my journeyman's electricians license. I can still sign off on these but I would never put one ON my own home. NEVER! But I do use one that is adjacent to my home with clearly indicated cut-off's. Fire departments do what they call surround and drown only if they can cut off power to the inverter. If they cant disconnect the panels they watch it burn and protect homes around you. To high of a chance of electrocution. I've even given the fire chief here a full tour and instructions on how to disconnect.

So it can be done safely but if you do not have training it can become a real problem real fast. As for pissing off the power company, as long as I pay the line maintenance fee on time they don't bother me.

Where I live you must get permission to attach and even then they pay just 0.02cents per k/hr and if it exceeds your bill amount they are not required to pay you at all. It does not pay to put them up or on here, but I like the convenience of not freezing when it gets 40 below zero and the wind is blowing in winter time and the line servicing your home might take weeks to get repaired.
I had my cut off placed next to the main panel outside. I happen to live in a civilized area where people in the fire department have brains and know how to turn off the panels from Ac to Dc so they do not have to worry.

Of course you can

I had my cut off placed next to the main panel outside. I happen to live in a civilized area where people in the fire department have brains and know how to turn off the panels from Ac to Dc so they do not have to worry.

White privilege is awesome. You're lucky....alot of uncivilized communities in California. My window to visit has closed....couldnt pay me to visit that shithole state ( although seeing roads painted white would be hysterical for sure ).

Of course you can

White privilege is awesome. You're lucky....alot of uncivilized communities in California. My window to visit has closed....couldnt pay me to visit that shithole state ( although seeing roads painted white would be hysterical for sure ).
I live in a black community that has Muslims and Sikhs and asians. I would say do not come here as your attitude is just too rude for civility with humans,

My electricity was much cheaper then as there have been two increases since I went solar. I think it was about 125 a month but could be wrong.
You might even be paying for my solar as I got a 30% tax credit. That was $4,000 some dollars. So I wound up with only $10,000 something to pay. As for what I get paid is 5 cents a killowatt.

I think it was about 125 a month but could be wrong.

Used to be $125, now it's $11.
Your $114 monthly savings means it would take you about 132 months, 11 years, to make back your initial $15000 investment. How long are those things supposed to last?

Lets play the numbers game...

We will assume you owed just 10,000.00 and that your home uses about 1.9KW in a day (about 1900watts/hour for 11 hours-this is a very low estimate).

Lets look at your system. 8 panels rated at 275W @ 16VDC each. Realize that the panels will only generate that much power with direct solar energy at 90 degree's to panel face. For each 5 deg change that diminishes by a 20% loss of rated output. Total rated output is 2,200w @ 16vdc or 137Amps at 16VDC. During summer, for 8 hours of the day you will receive between 60-80% of rated output and 2 hours of 80-90% of rated output. Beyond that the rated output is below 0-60%.

2 hours at 2,000w = 0.2Kw/hr 2 x 0.2= 0.4kw
8 hours at 1,600w = 0.16Kw/hr 8 x 0.16= 1.28kw
4 hours at 1,000w = 0.1Kw/hr 4 x 0.1= 0.4kw

Using this rough estimate, your system on a cloudless summer day is capable of just 1.72Kw/hr of output daily. IF your using 1.8-1.9Kw/hr daily this system might barely meet your needs during summer. During winter, drop about 10-15% from these estimates at 45Deg Lat.

On your power bill they place a daily usage number for the month. That information alone will tell me if you are making anything at all from your panel array. I really don't see where your making much of anything. At a 125 dollar a month saving it will take you about 15 years to recoup costs after repairs of the system over time..

Last edited:
If you have FOG then the output is reduced significantly as it is with clouds, rain, and dust. You are essentially breaking even.

A lot of your story will not pass the smell test... The more I think about your claims and what I have observed first hand building and maintaining these systems, tells me your way deep in debt for this yet..

Given the numbers you provided, absent other public funding, you have a long 12 or so years ahead of you where you have yet to need systems repairs...

Last edited:
Of course you can

Not disputing what you say, but surely you realize that not all power companies are as non-committal regarding solar power. Many of them aggressively push it...like Skook was saying, using pushy door to door sales tactics.
I know for sure that Manitiba Hydro for example, could not care less what kind of papers & certifications you have and would fail your installation no matter if it was up to code. Many people here found out the hard way. They hired local contractors who routinely wired up new houses to install back-up systems like solar and there was no problem...until the government changed from conservative to liberal. First thing they did was to "create jobs", ranging from bylaw inspectors who fine you for an "unlicensed garage sale" to all kinds of other inspectors retro-actively enforcing regulations that the new government created....including any such electrical systems that have been installed without their permission. Hell, needing Trump to scrap similar Obama regulation crap, you should know !!!!

Of course you can

Not disputing what you say, but surely you realize that not all power companies are as non-committal regarding solar power. Many of them aggressively push it...like Skook was saying, using pushy door to door sales tactics.
I know for sure that Manitiba Hydro for example, could not care less what kind of papers & certifications you have and would fail your installation no matter if it was up to code. Many people here found out the hard way. They hired local contractors who routinely wired up new houses to install back-up systems like solar and there was no problem...until the government changed from conservative to liberal. First thing they did was to "create jobs", ranging from bylaw inspectors who fine you for an "unlicensed garage sale" to all kinds of other inspectors retro-actively enforcing regulations that the new government created....including any such electrical systems that have been installed without their permission. Hell, needing Trump to scrap similar Obama regulation crap, you should know !!!!
I worked through the Carter regulation madness and the Clinton/Obama mess as well. I understand your point. I just made sure when I did things that I had approvals in writing before I started the work and that I made them put the requirements in writing. There was very little quibbling after the fact. My Law Enforcement Training probably saved a whole lot of grief in the long run.

Of course you can

I worked through the Carter regulation madness and the Clinton/Obama mess as well. I understand your point. I just made sure when I did things that I had approvals in writing before I started the work and that I made them put the requirements in writing. There was very little quibbling after the fact. My Law Enforcement Training probably saved a whole lot of grief in the long run.
There was very little quibbling after the fact. My Law Enforcement Training probably saved a whole lot of grief in the long run.
What a weird coincidence. I Germany where I am from Military service was compulsory when you were 18. I joined the BGS which was created because the occupying American forces thought it would really piss off the Soviets if the demilitarized eastern Border of West Germany is patrolled by a police force dressed in recycled SS Uniforms and steel helmets that were dyed green. Later in my life before I retired it was my job to re-vamp the soft & hardware for power plants the military has in the high arctic. So it was kind of funny to have Manitoba Hydro freak out when I installed my own system in a house my wife owned on an Indian Reservation.
A house that was built at a time when they still used asbestos in all the attics and was scheduled to be torn down anyway...compare that scenario to what`s involved in a full scale power plant on military bases in the arctic. They would laugh their head off if you would send them an electrician who worked for Manitoba Hydro to do what I had to.

I have gas for everything but lights and the micro. Do not need or use AC as this is California and we have a natural AC called fog. As for what I get I have a meter that tells me so I know how much PG&E is to pay me for my gas bill. The system is rated for 200 kwh a month.
I have gas for everything but lights and the micro.
If you already use gas for everything else you could have installed a (natural) gas generator for ~ $ 10 000 less than what you paid for this Mickey-mouse 1 point whatever kW solar system and have 9 kW whenever you want it.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M9A3NV1/?tag=

Generac 7030 Guardian Series 9kW/8kW Air Cooled Home Standby Generator with 16 Circuit 100 Amp Transfer Switch
Price: CDN$ 3,459.00
7030_209kw_20100ts.jpg

Wind, and solar are a greenie, feel good JOKE. Real power comes from burning dead dinosaurs, or splitting atoms, hydro, etc. All wind, and solar does is drive up energy costs for consumers.

Your $114 monthly savings means it would take you about 132 months, 11 years, to make back your initial $15000 investment. How long are those things supposed to last?
They will last about 20 years and way longer than electricity rates at the current level.

Lets play the numbers game...

We will assume you owed just 10,000.00 and that your home uses about 1.9KW in a day (about 1900watts/hour for 11 hours-this is a very low estimate).

Lets look at your system. 8 panels rated at 275W @ 16VDC each. Realize that the panels will only generate that much power with direct solar energy at 90 degree's to panel face. For each 5 deg change that diminishes by a 20% loss of rated output. Total rated output is 2,200w @ 16vdc or 137Amps at 16VDC. During summer, for 8 hours of the day you will receive between 60-80% of rated output and 2 hours of 80-90% of rated output. Beyond that the rated output is below 0-60%.

2 hours at 2,000w = 0.2Kw/hr 2 x 0.2= 0.4kw
8 hours at 1,600w = 0.16Kw/hr 8 x 0.16= 1.28kw
4 hours at 1,000w = 0.1Kw/hr 4 x 0.1= 0.4kw

Using this rough estimate, your system on a cloudless summer day is capable of just 1.72Kw/hr of output daily. IF your using 1.8-1.9Kw/hr daily this system might barely meet your needs during summer. During winter, drop about 10-15% from these estimates at 45Deg Lat.

On your power bill they place a daily usage number for the month. That information alone will tell me if you are making anything at all from your panel array. I really don't see where your making much of anything. At a 125 dollar a month saving it will take you about 15 years to recoup costs after repairs of the system over time..
The panels are warranted for 20 years. I get 1.8kw generation most every day of the year from 10 am to 4 pm. I have a very good system. And clouds do not change the output very much at all and rain does not hamper output either.

It seems to me you guys are spouting uninformed rhetoric about home electrical systems and solar or wind turbine installations to reduce greenhouse gasses. In my area fog is a night time blessing that clears by 8 or so in the morning and works wonders to control heat.
By the way I was a licensed contractor and built homes for a few years. Being a tax man came from my education in business about tax credits and the tax law.
Your attempts to make me feel guilty for installing solar will not work as I am very happy.

They will last about 20 years and way longer than electricity rates at the current level.

240 months at $114 a month gives you $27,360 worth of savings on a $15,000 investment.
About a 3.1% annual return. Doesn't look very impressive.

Forum List

Back