Media fixated on black turnout

John Shaw

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2017
Yes, black people played a big role in the victory of Jones, and it's kind of satisfying given Moore's comments but ...

Do they learn nothing? We independents don't like the identity politics game.

Holy shit! Talk about something non-partisans care about for a change.

Yes, black people played a big role in the victory of Jones, and it's kind of satisfying given Moore's comments but ...

That's nice, but it's about time they discussed what Democrats need to do to WIN!!

Running behind alleged disgruntled Republicans and self-proclaimed Conservatives who wouldn't piss on them to save their lives if they were on fire, is not it.

Last edited:

That's nice, but it's about time they discussed what Democrats need to do to WIN!!

Running behind alleged disgruntled Republicans and self-proclaimed Conservatives who wouldn't piss on them to save their life if they were on fire, is not it.

Playing the race card doesn't work. They tried it in 2016 and it flopped big time. Talk about jobs. About education. About healthcare. These are the things we really want to hear about.

Playing the race card doesn't work. They tried it in 2016 and it flopped big time. Talk about jobs. About education. About healthcare. These are the things we really want to hear about.
I reject this "playing the race card" trope.

It's a well known fact that when you do things that benefit blacks, many others benefit as well.

Who, exactly, are you referring to, and what, exactly, are they saying? Define this "race card" claptrap you're referring to.

When a candidate says America was great when blacks were slaves, blacks don’t really like to hear that.

Since Trump’s election, racists have come out from under the rocks they’ve been hiding under and life has gotten harder for blacks in the South. They don’t want to lose more ground by electing scum like Moore.

Everyone who sat on their hands during last year’s election will be out in force to reverse the harm done by electing Trump and the Republicans next year.

I reject this "playing the race card" trope.

It's a well known fact that when you do things that benefit blacks, many others benefit as well.

Who, exactly, are you referring to, and what, exactly, are they saying? Define this "race card" claptrap you're referring to.

Black people don't want to be patronized, I'm sure. They can benefit from the same policies that everyone else gets. They don't need special treatment.

When a candidate says America was great when blacks were slaves, blacks don’t really like to hear that.

Since Trump’s election, racists have come out from under the rocks they’ve been hiding under and life has gotten harder for blacks in the South. They don’t want to lose more ground by electing scum like Moore.

Everyone who sat on their hands during last year’s election will be out in force to reverse the harm done by electing Trump and the Republicans next year.

When I saw the long lines of blacks waiting to vote I knew it was the slavery remark that brought them out to vote and I'm glad they did. Moore deserved to lose

Okay. I resent it because the implication is that it's a white vs. black election. When really it's a right wing partisan vs. people fed up with jackasses like Roy Moore election.

Good on the black people of Alabama, in the face of suppression efforts. The turnout will be even better, next time.

Black people don't want to be patronized, I'm sure. They can benefit from the same policies that everyone else gets. They don't need special treatment.
What special treatment are you suggesting blacks are and/or have been benefiting from. Please explain.

What special treatment are you suggesting blacks are and/or have been benefiting from. Please explain.

I didn't say they have. My point is, there's no sense in focusing on one group or another, unless you're proposing legislation that specifically favors them. Which kind of flies in the face of the spirit of equal rights and equal opportunity.

It's fine to mention that black voters made a difference, but I don't see the purpose in going back to it every 15 seconds and bashing the white people who voted for Moore.

I didn't say they have. My point is, there's no sense in focusing on one group or another, unless you're proposing legislation that specifically favors them. Which kind of flies in the face of the spirit of equal rights and equal opportunity.

It's fine to mention that black voters made a difference, but I don't see the purpose in going back to it every 15 seconds and bashing the white people who voted for Moore.
Oh, so there's no ACTUAL racist policies going on here, you just don't want them to seemingly TALK like there is?

Do I have that right?

How are whites bashed? Are they negatively speaking AGAINST whites? Why are you feeling slighted when credit is given TO blacks?

Oh, so there's no ACTUAL racist policies going on here, you just don't want them to seemingly TALK like there is?

Do I have that right?

No. You don't.

My point is, there's no sense in focusing on one group or another, unless you're proposing legislation that specifically favors them.
100% false and ass backwards wrong. For example, legislation that favors the poor does not specifically favor black people. IN fact, it would always favor more white people. Yet it would be smart to focus on educating them on this legislation anyway, to get it passed.

And you reveal your barely hidden agenda to say they "focused on one group" anyway. That group they focused on was not just bound by skin color, but also by ideas. Would you say Roy Moore focused on a group? Was it, the group of cowboy-hat wearers? Just 'whities'? How... he spoke on the virtues of khakis and sweater vests? No, you would agree he did focus on a group, and that the selection of the group was based on ideology. You grant no such basic courtesy to black people... as if they are nodding sycophants tin contrast to your great thinkers.... very transparent...

Last edited:

Running behind alleged disgruntled Republicans and self-proclaimed Conservatives who wouldn't piss on them to save their life if they were on fire, is not it.

Dear John Shaw not just talking about it, but doing it.
investing directly in building it, to prove how it works and lead by example.
Health care should be sold as a better choice, which requires offering it to public consumers.
Show us how localized universal care can be set up on an affordable and sustainable basis.
Then of course people will support it!

My point is, there's no sense in focusing on one group or another, unless you're proposing legislation that specifically favors them.
100% false and ass backwards wrong. For example, legislation that favors the poor does not specifically favor black people. Yet it would be smart to focus on educating them on this legislation anyway, to get it passed.

Educating the poor?

Dear John Shaw not just talking about it, but doing it.
investing directly in building it, to prove how it works and lead by example.
Health care should be sold as a better choice, which requires offering it to public consumers.
Show us how localized universal care can be set up on an affordable and sustainable basis.
Then of course people will support it!

Yeah, well ... I would be astonished if that happened, but we can dream.

Forum List

Back