‘Meanest mom’ sells car after finding liquor

Wow, your rules are really uptight on this. Cops never had a problem with having drink in the car neither did parents. The biggest problem they had was if the driver was drinking - then all bets were off. As long as the driver was sober, nobody gave a toss.

Guess our rules are uptight, too.. You can not have opened liquor in the car. It can be in the *trunk*, but not the car.

This kids a putz, and deserved to completely lose the car. Driving is a privledge, and a responsibility. Not a God given right. It has rules, which vary from situation, to situation. Break those rules, and there are consequences. In this case, abuse, and lose. :)

Wasn't the drinking that was the problem. We all drank. The problem was that the kid and his friends were drinking in the car, IMO.

Do we know they were drinking and driving? It quite possibly could have just been a stash spot, with ignorance on the kid's part, of the law for having the bottle in the car while driving.

We also don't know if the bottle had been opened or not. There are a lot of facts we don't even have to actually be arguing this much about it.

What we do know, is that she told him 2 things: No booze, and keep it locked. He disobeyed the booze part, so she has a right to her displease.

I'd say selling the car is a bit extreme though. Take it away for a while, maybe. But sell it? Over one screw-up?

Do we know they were drinking and driving? It quite possibly could have just been a stash spot, with ignorance on the kid's part, of the law for having the bottle in the car while driving.

We also don't know if the bottle had been opened or not. There are a lot of facts we don't even have to actually be arguing this much about it.

What we do know, is that she told him 2 things: No booze, and keep it locked. He disobeyed the booze part, so she has a right to her displease.

I'd say selling the car is a bit extreme though. Take it away for a while, maybe. But sell it? Over one screw-up?

If the kids that ignorant, shouldn't have a license. Definitely shouldn't have a car. Tho, that particular problem is solved for now. :)

Actually, I thought the OP indicated that the bottle was opened. Can't be bothered going back now. I don't think it would have bothered the mom if the bottle had been closed.

Honest? I think if he's not old enough to be responsible and live by the very few guidelines he was given along with the car then that's pretty much a deal-breaker. For what it's worth, and what I find really interesting, is that the men in my life with whom I've discussed this think mom was wrong. The women all agree that the kid deserved to say buh bye to the car.

I just figured the kid lost the car for being stupid.

Guess our rules are uptight, too.. You can not have opened liquor in the car. It can be in the *trunk*, but not the car.

This kids a putz, and deserved to completely lose the car. Driving is a privledge, and a responsibility. Not a God given right. It has rules, which vary from situation, to situation. Break those rules, and there are consequences. In this case, abuse, and lose. :)

Yep, they are uptight for sure.
If he was driving drunk, absolutely take the car from him. Outsida that - nada...talk about Nanny Statism...

Yep, they are uptight for sure.
If he was driving drunk, absolutely take the car from him. Outsida that - nada...talk about Nanny Statism...

The kids a MINOR. Sure, kids drink.. But if you're going to do something that gets your silly ass caught, suffer with whatever those consequences happen to be.. Only way to learn a lesson.

Open container under driver's seat = RETARDED

Perhaps the offense itself didn't warrant selling the car, the sheer stupidity of it did.

Kudos to the mom.

Harsh? Yep.

Think the kid will consider the consequences of his actions in the future? Yep.

And he'll have lots of time to think while cruising around on his Chevrolegs :rofl:

Open container under driver's seat = RETARDED

Perhaps the offense itself didn't warrant selling the car, the sheer stupidity of it did.

Kudos to the mom.

Harsh? Yep.

Think the kid will consider the consequences of his actions in the future? Yep.

And he'll have lots of time to think while cruising around on his Chevrolegs :rofl:

There's nothing wrong with drinking. This kid did nothing wrong.

Actually, I thought the OP indicated that the bottle was opened. Can't be bothered going back now. I don't think it would have bothered the mom if the bottle had been closed.

Honest? I think if he's not old enough to be responsible and live by the very few guidelines he was given along with the car then that's pretty much a deal-breaker. For what it's worth, and what I find really interesting, is that the men in my life with whom I've discussed this think mom was wrong. The women all agree that the kid deserved to say buh bye to the car.

I just figured the kid lost the car for being stupid.

No it didn't mention anything in the article about the alcohol other than "under the seat". Thats why I'm saying there are pertinent facts that we just don't have enough of to come to an informed opinion.

It's premature at this point to advocate the car being not only taken away, but sold.

Had it just been an unopened bottle that was purchased and stashed there for later consumption at a party or whatever, I'd say selling the kid's car was a little overboard. But even there, we still don't know enough about what the original "no alcohol" policy his mom had even entailed.

"Meanest" mom? Nah. Overly strict mom? I'd say so.

I'd have been pissed myself, but I wouldn't take away my adult offspring's vehicle and sell it, leaving him with no transportation to work, class, etc.

This car was obviously paid for by the mother and was in her name, otherwise she would not have been able to sell it.

Not exactly. It could have been HIS, paid for by him, and put into his name. She could have just simply made him sign the title over to her.

Again, we just don't have enough facts to be coming to such rash conclusions about this.

No it didn't mention anything in the article about the alcohol other than "under the seat". Thats why I'm saying there are pertinent facts that we just don't have enough of to come to an informed opinion.
It's premature at this point to advocate the car being not only taken away, but sold.
Had it just been an unopened bottle that was purchased and stashed there for later consumption at a party or whatever, I'd say selling the kid's car was a little overboard. But even there, we still don't know enough about what the original "no alcohol" policy his mom had even entailed.
'd have been pissed myself, but I wouldn't take away my adult offspring's vehicle and sell it, leaving him with no transportation to work, class, etc.

I'm betting that this woman loved her kid enough to remove the car rather than invite the bodybag since he showed an obvious lack of judgement. 21 is still the legal age limit for alcohol. Being 18 means nothing to a cop finding a bottle of any alcohol, opened or not, under the seat of a minors vehicle. I applaud this mother for acting liek a parent. If this kid was drunk and killed a family of 5 in a fireball crash on the interstate we'd be crying about how his mom SHOULD have been a better parent. Well, here she is. Give her an award.

'd have been pissed myself, but I wouldn't take away my adult offspring's vehicle and sell it, leaving him with no transportation to work, class, etc.

I'm betting that this woman loved her kid enough to remove the car rather than invite the bodybag since he showed an obvious lack of judgement. 21 is still the legal age limit for alcohol. Being 18 means nothing to a cop finding a bottle of any alcohol, opened or not, under the seat of a minors vehicle. I applaud this mother for acting liek a parent. If this kid was drunk and killed a family of 5 in a fireball crash on the interstate we'd be crying about how his mom SHOULD have been a better parent. Well, here she is. Give her an award.

Yeeeaaah, but we don't know that the kid was going to drink and drive. We don't even know if he transported it in the car in the first place, or if he had any future intention of doing so. He may have just thought it was one of the last places his mom would actually find it, not expecting her to go snooping in his whip.

Who knows. I'd just prefer to see more facts before I'm able to come to a final opinion.

Maybe someone wants to call the number in the ad and get some info?

Yeeeaaah, but we don't know that the kid was going to drink and drive. We don't even know if he transported it in the car in the first place, or if he had any future intention of doing so. He may have just thought it was one of the last places his mom would actually find it, not expecting her to go snooping in his whip.

Who knows. I'd just prefer to see more facts before I'm able to come to a final opinion.

Maybe someone wants to call the number in the ad and get some info?

NO, you are right.. we dont know that the kid was going to drink and drive. What we DO know is that he IS a minor in posession of alcohol which was hidden in his car. Indeed, if he was thinking scandelous shit like that then he deserves what he gets. The facts are simple: A minor got busted by a cop with alcohol in his car. The parent did what parents should do and didn't shrug it off in some effort to be the kids friend instead of parent. I applaud her actions.

NO, you are right.. we dont know that the kid was going to drink and drive. What we DO know is that he IS a minor in posession of alcohol which was hidden in his car. Indeed, if he was thinking scandelous shit like that then he deserves what he gets. The facts are simple: A minor got busted by a cop with alcohol in his car. The parent did what parents should do and didn't shrug it off in some effort to be the kids friend instead of parent. I applaud her actions.

No, this story has obviously been distorted on down the grapevine in this thread.

No cops found anything. The mom found it while snooping.

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car

She has a right to her policy regarding her kid, which is about where I'll leave off in opining on this.

I will say however, that MY mother never snooped like that in MY property "for my own good"...

And I turned out just fine.

passedout.jpg

Ok, I'll admit that even the "snooping" part is a premature assumption. Shit, we could sit here forever and wonder about what exactly happened specifically.

She quite possibly could have just been cleaning the car for him.

She even could have been having a sexual rendezvous with a lesbian lover on the side, and found the passenger seat of his car to be as candid and kinky a spot as any, and while moving the seat back for more room for them to utilize the double-ended dildo she had just recently purchased, she spotted the bottle laying there.

We just don't KNOW ENOUGH!

No, this story has obviously been distorted on down the grapevine in this thread.
No cops found anything. The mom found it while snooping.
She has a right to her policy regarding her kid, which is about where I'll leave off in opining on this.
I will say however, that MY mother never snooped like that in MY property "for my own good"...
And I turned out just fine.

yea, but your example doesn't say anyhting about this story any more than it does about dead teenagers out drinking and driving. My mistake on who found the alcohol. Again, he is still a minor and the parent should be applauded for her effort in being a parent. This kid will understand her motivation when he's 30 with kids of his own.

Not exactly. It could have been HIS, paid for by him, and put into his name. She could have just simply made him sign the title over to her.

Again, we just don't have enough facts to be coming to such rash conclusions about this.

From the linked article, emphasis mine:

She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

Forum List

Back