What literary character best represents you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Semper Fi, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    This isnt a link to a quiz, so sorry if I mislead you. I'm asking you what literary character you have the most in common with, or which one is closest to your personality. For me, I'd say Pechorin from A Hero of Our Time.

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I don't know if I'm that much like her anymore, but I always loved Jo in Little Women.

3. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Pogo Possum or Don Quixote, not sure.

Two questions:

Why are ther so many other Marines on this message board?

How do you get a frigging avatar to take? I did the less that 150 x 150 and still can't get one to be accepted.

thanks

4. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Because you're doing it wrong. :D Are you trying to pull one from your own hard drive, or from another site?

5. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No, I was going the URL way. Now suddenly it worked. Damn new fangled contraptions.

I still remember punching out the dumb little cards for the computer class at Navel Postgraduate School.

6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, good.. Now, to answer your other question..why are there so many other Marines here?

Because here's the only place they're allowed to be their loud-mouthed, opinionated selves without getting smacked with a ruler for it. [​IMG]

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    :neutral:

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah? [​IMG]

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    And you have to tell us why, as we may not be familiar with your literary alter-ego.

Quickly I would select Ivan from Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov. The reason is similar to my profound question post in religion. I have always been puzzled by all this and realized early it made sense only if we forgo asking Why.

"Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble novice? Do you understand why this infamy must be and is permitted? Without it, I am told, man could not have existed on earth, for he could not have known good and evil. Why should he know that diabolical good and evil when it costs so much? Why, the whole world of knowledge is not worth that child's prayer to dear, kind God'! " Ivan Karamazov

10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Fair enough. I chose Pechorin because of his lack of interest in--or boredom of-- society. He was a (fictional) Russian military officer of high society, but rejected his St. Petersburg post for an assignment in a line regiment in the Caucusus, where the Chechens were at unrest; presumably to find some adventure there. A Hero of Our Time narrates Pechorin's journey and those who he comes into contact with- smugglers, soldiers, royalty, etc. All the while, he "plays" women, wins their hearts and leaves them. All because he is bored with life in general.

As cynical as it may sound, I am sort of in the same boat. That, I'm banking on, is just the result of spending all of my 17 years with my parents in more or less the same environment, and things will pick up once I'm a Marine and out on my own.