What literary character best represents you?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
This isnt a link to a quiz, so sorry if I mislead you. I'm asking you what literary character you have the most in common with, or which one is closest to your personality. For me, I'd say Pechorin from A Hero of Our Time.

Pogo Possum or Don Quixote, not sure.

Two questions:

Why are ther so many other Marines on this message board?

How do you get a frigging avatar to take? I did the less that 150 x 150 and still can't get one to be accepted.

thanks

Pogo Possum or Don Quixote, not sure.

Two questions:

Why are ther so many other Marines on this message board?

How do you get a frigging avatar to take? I did the less that 150 x 150 and still can't get one to be accepted.

thanks

Because you're doing it wrong. :D Are you trying to pull one from your own hard drive, or from another site?

No, I was going the URL way. Now suddenly it worked. Damn new fangled contraptions.

I still remember punching out the dumb little cards for the computer class at Navel Postgraduate School.

No, I was going the URL way. Now suddenly it worked. Damn new fangled contraptions.

I still remember punching out the dumb little cards for the computer class at Navel Postgraduate School.

Well, good.. Now, to answer your other question..why are there so many other Marines here?

Because here's the only place they're allowed to be their loud-mouthed, opinionated selves without getting smacked with a ruler for it.
drillsergeant.gif

And you have to tell us why, as we may not be familiar with your literary alter-ego.

Quickly I would select Ivan from Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov. The reason is similar to my profound question post in religion. I have always been puzzled by all this and realized early it made sense only if we forgo asking Why.

"Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble novice? Do you understand why this infamy must be and is permitted? Without it, I am told, man could not have existed on earth, for he could not have known good and evil. Why should he know that diabolical good and evil when it costs so much? Why, the whole world of knowledge is not worth that child's prayer to dear, kind God'! " Ivan Karamazov

And you have to tell us why, as we may not be familiar with your literary alter-ego.

Quickly I would select Ivan from Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov. The reason is similar to my profound question post in religion. I have always been puzzled by all this and realized early it made sense only if we forgo asking Why.

"Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble novice? Do you understand why this infamy must be and is permitted? Without it, I am told, man could not have existed on earth, for he could not have known good and evil. Why should he know that diabolical good and evil when it costs so much? Why, the whole world of knowledge is not worth that child's prayer to dear, kind God'! " Ivan Karamazov

Fair enough. I chose Pechorin because of his lack of interest in--or boredom of-- society. He was a (fictional) Russian military officer of high society, but rejected his St. Petersburg post for an assignment in a line regiment in the Caucusus, where the Chechens were at unrest; presumably to find some adventure there. A Hero of Our Time narrates Pechorin's journey and those who he comes into contact with- smugglers, soldiers, royalty, etc. All the while, he "plays" women, wins their hearts and leaves them. All because he is bored with life in general.

As cynical as it may sound, I am sort of in the same boat. That, I'm banking on, is just the result of spending all of my 17 years with my parents in more or less the same environment, and things will pick up once I'm a Marine and out on my own.

I've always liked the idea of growing into a Jubal Harshaw sans the saturated misogyny but we'll see.

You're setting the bar pretty high there.

Of course Dostoevsky arguably takes the viewpoint of Alyosha, and presumably in his mind Alyosha's refutations of Ivan's position is the correct view (I've heard people argue that Dostoevsky is secretly Ivan but I haven't seen much to back it up).

What do you think of Alyosha's response to Ivan? Does Ivan still carry the day?

Nothing HI BROW for me. Any Sackett from Louis La'mour ( damn can't even spell his name anymore) will do.

From the Ancients I would pick Odyseus or Achilles. Achilles not so much, he was more interested in self then others. But they are real I believe so don't apply.

You probably wouldn't like any of my other choices either since they are from sci fi or sword and sorcerer series of books. I don't read a lot of old musty tomes, I prefer war, sci fi, sword and sorcerery, history, animal books and the like.

If Shakespeare were easier to read I like his plays too, but prefer to see them not read them.

You probably wouldn't like any of my other choices either since they are from sci fi or sword and sorcerer series of books. I don't read a lot of old musty tomes, I prefer war, sci fi, sword and sorcerery, history, animal books and the like.

try me.. I'm reading Wies and Hickman's Deathgate Cycle right now.

I'm like Scarlett O'Hara. Only a little better read.

And possibly not quite as good with numbers.

try me.. I'm reading Wies and Hickman's Deathgate Cycle right now.

Forgot most of the names now. And the book titles.

There was one, a series of 5 books about a man on another planet many years after the stellar empires collapse. Think his last name was Whitehall. Anyway he gets nabbed by a smart satalite that is left working in space and it teaches him how to basicly conquer the planet so the road to recovery can begin.

Another was " The Fury" or "The Furies" the main character is actually a woman but she was the kind of person I would like to be.

And then there was the main character from the series about a planet where the place is broken up into sectors, with different life forms in each sector.

There was one, a series of 5 books about a man on another planet many years after the stellar empires collapse. Think his last name was Whitehall. Anyway he gets nabbed by a smart satalite that is left working in space and it teaches him how to basicly conquer the planet so the road to recovery can begin.

Might be the series called The General, by David Drake and S.M. Stirling. I think the first one is called The Forge.

Well, good.. Now, to answer your other question..why are there so many other Marines here?

Because here's the only place they're allowed to be their loud-mouthed, opinionated selves without getting smacked with a ruler for it.
drillsergeant.gif

:eusa_doh:

Forum List

Back