‘Meanest mom’ sells car after finding liquor

i think that clears it up a little bit

yay for civil discourse!

He is of age.

Yes, he is "of" age. He is legally an adult, however, the drinking age is 21, he is 19. Some simple calculations would seem to indicate that he is under the age required to legally buy and consume alcohol, thus he is underage.

Was someone who drank during prohibition "underage"? No.

Huh? Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse? These are two different things. One deals with rules agreed upon when a young man's mother agreed to by her son a car, the other deals with a law than banned alcohol nationwide.

Someone who drank during prohibition was just flat out breaking the law. Hell, I'm not even sure what the age requirements, if any, were back then regarding the purchase and consumption of alcohol.

This asswad is 19 years old, he was in possession of alcohol, contrary to an agreement entered into with his mother and in violation of Iowa statutes. I don't give two rips who the booze belongs to, had he been pulled over, his ass would have in a legal wringer. He should consider himself lucky that he has a parent who cares enough about him to enforce the rules she sets down.

Being of age means one thing, and that is being an adult. You are an adult whenever you turn 18.

Yes, the term "to be of age" does indeed mean that someone has reached the age of adulthood, but that does not, as many can attest, mean that they act accordingly as is evidenced by the story we are all discussing. The term "underage," in most adult circles, means that the person in question is under 21, too young to purchase, possess, and consume alcohol.

He is of age. Was someone who drank during prohibition "underage"? No. Being of age means one thing, and that is being an adult. You are an adult whenever you turn 18.

Someone that drank during prohibition was consuming an illegal product, just like crack now.

In this case, at 19 at least in IL, he is of age to drive and buy cigarettes. He's not of age to drink, purchase liquor, or lottery tickets. Thems the laws.

It was his mom's car, she let him use it, with restrictions. He didn't honor those, so she sold it and chose to make his poor choice public. It's within her right and she's picked up lots of kudos for it.

From prudes. :eusa_wall:

It's just me and my mom have a sort of gentlemen's agreement... if we sell each others cars, we both send the other to prison. It keeps that peace. That's all I'm here for.

Yeah, but your mom isn't this mom. You aren't this kid. IMO his mom is doing the right thing.

You do realize with that smilie you are looking like a middle schooler, with permissive parents? Didn't work so well in high school, did it?

That's what I'm trying to look like. I just didn't want to look argumentative.

:mad:

Is that better?

I don't believe in the ancient 21 year old drinking age, and I support the actions of any of the 90% or so of adults who are or have protested it...

Open containers are a bad idea. But he just needs to find better ways to hide it. :eusa_drool:

Then work to get it changed, good luck. My age cohort did, and many died. They raised it again.

And Kathy... you of all people should know, if there was one thing my parents were, it's not "permissive". I grew up in the south, after all.

I don't know you or your parents, so how should I, of all people know?

Years ago it was 18. Then they raised it. FWIW, I've always thought if someone was old enough to go into the military, they should be able to drink a beer.

In a way, I agree with this sentiment. My feeling is, if they're in the military, the should be able to have a beer or three.

In a way, I agree with this sentiment. My feeling is, if they're in the military, the should be able to have a beer or three.

I haven't seen that the Mom in this case told the kid he couldn't have a beer or three. She told him to keep the car that she bought and paid for locked and no booze in the car. Presumably he agreed to these simple conditions.

I don't care if he is 49 years old. If he violated the agreement, she is within her rights to take away and sell the car, and no, that is not an extreme reaction.

I'm with you.

My car, my rules. You want to drink and drive, buy your own car and pay the insurance.

I think it's funnier than shit, and it's exactly what I would have done with my kids...

They were never stupid enough to leave liquor in the car where I could find it, though.

I haven't seen that the Mom in this case told the kid he couldn't have a beer or three. She told him to keep the car that she bought and paid for locked and no booze in the car. Presumably he agreed to these simple conditions.

I don't care if he is 49 years old. If he violated the agreement, she is within her rights to take away and sell the car, and no, that is not an extreme reaction.

You're preaching to the choir.

Someone that drank during prohibition was consuming an illegal product, just like crack now.

In this case, at 19 at least in IL, he is of age to drive and buy cigarettes. He's not of age to drink, purchase liquor, or lottery tickets. Thems the laws.

It was his mom's car, she let him use it, with restrictions. He didn't honor those, so she sold it and chose to make his poor choice public. It's within her right and she's picked up lots of kudos for it.

You gotta be 21 to buy lottery tix in Ill? Holy shit! Granted, my Illinois adventures are limited to East. St. Louis but daaaaamn.

and I agree, if one can die for their country they should be able to enjoy the fruits that they fight for. I would lower the drinking age instead of limiting it to military though. But, I'd also legalize pot and make 18 the valid age too though so....

Forum List

Back