McGregor Fight

I've seen brawls in baseball, football, and hockey. The occasional brawl does not make them illegitimate sports.

The novelty of the sport has lost its shine, and many fans who were drawn to the concept have started to notice that the 'mixed' martial arts actually feature a poor version of boxing, wrestling, judo, jujutsu, and kickboxing. Purists interested in a high level of competition in any of those arts won't find it in mma.

In MMA a fighter needs to be able to defend against everything. Boxing looks very different when the fighter has to defend against a take down and ground and pound. A black belt in jujutsu has to defend against getting knocked out. So mma becomes more of a chess match compared to the checker matches of any single fighting art.

You’ve got it backwards.
As chess has a much greater variety of offensive and defensive moves than checkers, leading to a much more diverse and complicated strategies; mma has a much greater variety of offensive and defensive moves than any single fighting art, leading to more diverse and complicated strategies.

If I have it backwards, you should be able to explain why..

...... mma has a much greater variety of offensive and defensive moves than any single fighting art, leading to more diverse and complicated strategies.

Exactly wrong. You never studied any combat arts, did you? Professional boxing is infinitely more complex and advanced than anything you see in standup in mma. Same goes for wrestling, jujutsu, judo, and kickboxing respectively. What you see in mma is generally just a very simplified form of all of the above, for the exact reason you mentioned previously. This is why people who really know these various arts are getting a little bored with the whole mma thing. Again, this is to take nothing away from the great athletes competing in this interesting format.

However, as I said, mma is in a dangerous place right now. There is a good chance that it will be something your great-grandchildren never heard about. If some jackasses chase a couple of bucks in the short-term and become pro-wrestling, it's pretty much all over. Only a dwindling core of small, overly-tattooed white kids with inferiority complexes will be paying per view until it fades away.

Professional boxing is i.nfinitely more complex and advanced than anything you see in standup in mma.

"Infinitely" more complex and advanced.......... Simple logic dictates that is mathematically impossible.

However, as I said, mma is in a dangerous place right now. There is a good chance that it will be something your great-grandchildren never heard about.

Many of the combat arts would be unheard of by many more people today were it not for mma. Few combat sports are prime time draws today. Boxing is no where near as huge as it was in the days of Ali. That being said, sports come and go. No one knows for sure what will be popular or not 100 or more years form now,

...... mma has a much greater variety of offensive and defensive moves than any single fighting art, leading to more diverse and complicated strategies.

Exactly wrong. You never studied any combat arts, did you? Professional boxing is infinitely more complex and advanced than anything you see in standup in mma.
God, youre such a newb. Of course stand up is different in boxing!

Do you think you can get in a boxers stance and NOT get the living fuck kicked out of your legs? Do you think you WONT get taken down if you dont have a lower stance? Do you think you can do those wonderful shoulder roll moves in MMA without getting clipped by a small 6 ounce glove? Put a boxer in a cage with an MMA fighter and lets see how well he does with his "infinitely complex stand up".

Boxing doesnt work in MMA and any boxers that get into MMA have to change a bunch of old habits because, that shit doesnt work when you make the game more complex. The "sweet science" works if you have two people who agree to only use their hands against each other, no kicks, and no grappling, otherwise its garbage science.

Watch Bobby Green (boxer) get trounced by Poirier. His shoulder rolling doesnt work, hes standing straight up like a boxer, and getting leg kicked before getting KOed.

Last edited:
Professional boxing is i.nfinitely more complex and advanced than anything you see in standup in mma.

"Infinitely" more complex and advanced.......... Simple logic dictates that is mathematically impossible.

However, as I said, mma is in a dangerous place right now. There is a good chance that it will be something your great-grandchildren never heard about.

Many of the combat arts would be unheard of by many more people today were it not for mma. Few combat sports are prime time draws today. Boxing is no where near as huge as it was in the days of Ali. That being said, sports come and go. No one knows for sure what will be popular or not 100 or more years form now,
Fighting is beloved by every culture on earth. MMA isnt going anywhere, in fact, its growing rapidly. It has become hugely popular in the US, but also in Russia, Brazil, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Asia.

Derrick Lewis's post fight interview was hilarious. :) William Graham on Twitter

That fight, and the Ferguson/Pettis fight, were both more enjoyable than the title fight.

Speaking of the title fight, Nurmagomedov should have the title stripped from him. Pick 2 other top fighters in the LW division to fight for it, maybe Ferguson and Poirier. I don't care what McGregor said to him, Nurmagomedov can't be allowed to jump out of the ring and attack someone from McGregor's corner, and have one of Nurmagomedov's team jump into the ring and attack McGregor, without punishment.

As to the fight itself, McGregor was clearly outclassed. He could not deal with the takedowns and ground game of Khabib. McGregor also did some cheating; I saw him grabbing the fence at least twice with his toes, grabbing and holding onto Khabib's glove, and at least 2 occasions where he was pulling on Khabib's shorts. McGregor is just too one-dimensional. He's damn good at what he does, but give him the wrong matchup and he doesn't have an answer.

..... Put a boxer in a cage with an MMA fighter and lets see how well he does with his "infinitely complex stand up"......

If it's still a boxing match, the MMA guy won't enjoy himself very much. If they are playing ping-pong inside a cage, the boxer will probably have some problems.

An MMA match is an MMA match. The boxing component of any such fight is a very simplified version of what an experienced boxer brings to a boxing match. They are different sports. Why does this threaten you so much?

The fact is that mma has not yet achieved the legitimacy of the most popular professional sports in America. It's fan base is still a small one of specialized interest. The potential still exists to grow the sport into that level of legitimacy, but it is far from certain. The novelty of the sport has lost its shine, and many fans who were drawn to the concept have started to notice that the 'mixed' martial arts actually feature a poor version of boxing, wrestling, judo, jujutsu, and kickboxing. Purists interested in a high level of competition in any of those arts won't find it in mma. That is all well and good if mma is seen as a distinct art in and of itself, but idiotic stunts and punkish nonsense like what happened after this fight will lead the average sports fan to see mma as little more than slightly less theatrical pro wrestling. As I said, a shameful waste of great effort and athleticism. But hey, pro wrestling makes a lot of money too.

MMA is very popular. I've watched from the beginning in the days of Tank Abbott. It was more entertaining in a way because street fighters dominated.
I find the new MMA to be just as interesting because the fighters have to use a mix of styles to be successful.

It all changed when Royce Gracie entered with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

While I may be a little biased since this dude lives around the corner I think Sage Northcutt is going to be special.

Check out the power of these kicks!

Exactly wrong. You never studied any combat arts, did you? Professional boxing is infinitely more complex and advanced than anything you see in standup in mma. Same goes for wrestling, jujutsu, judo, and kickboxing respectively. What you see in mma is generally just a very simplified form of all of the above, for the exact reason you mentioned previously. This is why people who really know these various arts are getting a little bored with the whole mma thing. Again, this is to take nothing away from the great athletes competing in this interesting format.

However, as I said, mma is in a dangerous place right now. There is a good chance that it will be something your great-grandchildren never heard about. If some jackasses chase a couple of bucks in the short-term and become pro-wrestling, it's pretty much all over. Only a dwindling core of small, overly-tattooed white kids with inferiority complexes will be paying per view until it fades away.

You put a boxer in the ring with a well trained mix martial artist the boxer will lose every time.

You put a boxer in the ring with a well trained mix martial artist the boxer will lose every time.

In the ring to do what? A boxing match, or an mma fight?

MMA obviously. It's vastly more complex than boxing.

MMA obviously. It's vastly more complex than boxing.

No, it’s just different.

Forum List

Back