McCain: No negative campaigning

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Cindy McCain says on NBC today: "What you're going to see is a great debate...none of this negative stuff will come out of our side...my opponent is opposed to any negative campaigning at all."

We're going to see a great debate? I can hardly wait...:cool:

(I suspect the idea here is to avoid anything racial)

When this year's version of the Swiftboat Liars for Bush step up, McCain will act just like Claude Raines raiding Bogey's nightclub in Casablanca. McCain will keep his winnings, too.

When this year's version of the Swiftboat Liars for Bush step up, McCain will act just like Claude Raines raiding Bogey's nightclub in Casablanca. McCain will keep his winnings, too.

I figure he'll do what he did when the NC Repubs thought it a good idea to do the rev wright thing and say "please don't".... and then they'll do it anyway.

but we'll see.

I figure he'll do what he did when the NC Repubs thought it a good idea to do the rev wright thing and say "please don't".... and then they'll do it anyway.

but we'll see.

Considering how badly that strategy backfired, McCain would be smart if he sincerely tried to quash it.

However, his attempt to paint Obama as the candidate of Hamas leaves little hope that he will do the decent or intelligent thing.

Considering how badly that strategy backfired, McCain would be smart if he sincerely tried to quash it.

However, his attempt to paint Obama as the candidate of Hamas leaves little hope that he will do the decent or intelligent thing.

I don't think it backfired. I think it backfired during the democratic primary. There's a difference between that and the general election.

Cindy McCain says on NBC today: "What you're going to see is a great debate...none of this negative stuff will come out of our side...my opponent is opposed to any negative campaigning at all."

We're going to see a great debate? I can hardly wait...:cool:

(I suspect the idea here is to avoid anything racial)

Well that lasted nanoseconds, but not McCain's fault:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/05/mccain-advisor.html

McCain Advisor Accuses Obama of Underhanded Reference to McCain's Age
Email

May 08, 2008 7:53 PM

ABC News' Ron Claiborne Reports: The McCain campaign lashed out at Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, for what it called an insulting dig at Sen. John McCain's age.

In an interview on CNN, Obama accused McCain of trying to "smear" him by saying that the Palestinian militant group Hamas favored his candidacy.

"And so for him to toss out comments like that I think is an example of him losing his bearings as he pursues this nomination," Obama said...

Much more:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Y2UzYzkwMTA5YTNiY2E1NzU3ZjMzNjUyNWYxZDNiM2M

Obama & Hamas: McCain Camp Responds [Andy McCarthy]

And an excellent, spirited response it is, from Mark Salter:

First, let us be clear about the nature of Senator Obama's attack today: He used the words 'losing his bearings' intentionally, a not particularly clever way of raising John McCain's age as an issue. This is typical of the Obama style of campaigning.

We have all become familiar with Senator Obama's new brand of politics. First, you demand civility from your opponent, then you attack him, distort his record and send out surrogates to question his integrity. It is called hypocrisy, and it is the oldest kind of politics there is.

It is important to focus on what Senator Obama is attempting to do here: He is trying desperately to delegitimize the discussion of issues that raise legitimate questions about his judgment and preparedness to be President of the United States....

Not McCain's fault, Kathianne??

Senator McCain (R-Ariz.), the putative Republican presidential nominee, has made an issue out of an interview with a Hamas spokesmen who said the terrorist movement "likes" Senator Obama (D-Ill.), who is leading in the race to become the Democratic nominee.

"This is a smear," Obama said Thursday on CNN. "For him to toss out comments like that I think is an example of him losing his bearings."

Obama and McCain share the view that the United States should not deal with Hamas until it renounces violence and recognizes Israel.

Unsolicited endorsements are a common feature of election campaigns. Some white supremacists have endorsed McCain

http://www.jta.org/cgi-bin/iowa/breaking/108481.html

Obama responding to the smear by saying McCain is losing his bearings isn't an age issue... it's a competence issue.

Obama responding to the smear by saying McCain is losing his bearings isn't an age issue... it's a competence issue.

It's also a nice brushback pitch. McCain needs to know that Obama won't roll over like John Kerry did.

Ironically, Mark Salter's response turned it into an age issue, and then kept the issue alive. That doesn't help McCain.

It's also a nice brushback pitch. McCain needs to know that Obama won't roll over like John Kerry did.

Ironically, Mark Salter's response turned it into an age issue, and then kept the issue alive. That doesn't help McCain.

Then again, Obama is on record of saying he would speak of greater enemies of US than Hamas, without preconditions. Good to have that brought up. ;)

More of what McCain needs to say:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/rubin/5131

A Peek At What We’ll See
Jennifer Rubin - 05.08.2008 - 5:06 PM

Barack Obama accused John McCain of “smearing him” by claiming that Hamas wants Obama to be President. But this isn’t a smear, it is fact. A spokesman for Hamas, you will recall, did endorse Obama. This report is fairly straightforward:

During an interview on WABC radio Sunday, top Hamas political adviser Ahmed Yousef said the terrorist group supports Obama’s foreign policy vision. “We don’t mind – actually we like Mr. Obama. We hope he will [win] the election and I do believe he is like John Kennedy, great man with great principle, and he has a vision to change America to make it in a position to lead the world community but not with domination and arrogance,” Yousef said in response to a question about the group’s willingness to meet with either of the Democratic presidential candidates.​

Matt Brooks of the Republican Jewish Coalition had this comment:

It’s understandable that Obama would like to make this go away. However, the reality is, Hamas is comfortable with Obama and they endorsed him. It’s the truth, not a ‘smear.’​

As for the McCain camp, this will be an early test of their willingness to go toe-to-toe with Obama. Will they let this Obama remark pass? Or set the record straight and make clear Obama is, as he did in the “100 year” fight, fudging the facts? And we can expect more of this. Every bad fact for Obama or questionable association is a “smear” and every attempt by the McCain camp to set the record straight is “gutter politics.” It is up to McCain’s team to decide whether they will play along or call foul.

I was actually surprised at what Salter said. I think he made a mistake. Emphasizing McCain's age, even defensively, isn't a good play for them. It also made them seem a bit silly. Obama's response had exactly the correct dismissive tone.

I was actually surprised at what Salter said. I think he made a mistake. Emphasizing McCain's age, even defensively, isn't a good play for them. It also made them seem a bit silly. Obama's response had exactly the correct dismissive tone.

In all seriousness, I think Obama is lined up to win. Part of it is time for an African-American, part of it is Bush-Clinton have worn out their welcome, McCain should pay the price for that.

On the other hand, I never underestimate the ability of the Democratic Party to self-destruct, McCain can't, he's not expected to win. Thus, they can do what they do, maybe they'll get lucky. Your guy, well can't have anymore Wright, Ayers, or Michelle going off on him.

Exactly. It was the same mistake Bill Clinton made by resurrecting Bosnia while defending Hillary.

Everyone underestimates Hillary and her desire to be president. She is not going quietly into the good night because she wants to damage Obama as much as she can. Then she'll step aside and lip the unity words until Obama loses in the election (because 50+% of her supporters won't vote for Obama). Four years from now, when McCain is 76 and trying to convince people he's not senile and deserves another 4 years, Hillary will be right there, looking to be the nominee.

In all seriousness, I think Obama is lined up to win. Part of it is time for an African-American, part of it is Bush-Clinton have worn out their welcome, McCain should pay the price for that.

On the other hand, I never underestimate the ability of the Democratic Party to self-destruct, McCain can't, he's not expected to win. Thus, they can do what they do, maybe they'll get lucky. Your guy, well can't have anymore Wright, Ayers, or Michelle going off on him.

I agree with everything you said.

It would have been really nice to have a woman president, though.

I agree with everything you said.

It would have been really nice to have a woman president, though.

Oh man, I forgot Rezko, another ticker. ;)

It's going to be an interesting fall.

I never really connected McCain's ditziness to his age. Now it is only more troubling to me, because if it is connected to his age it will only get worse.

Let me get this straight....

Moveon.Org and their ilk are not controlled by associated with or the responsibility of the Democratic nominee ( that was the argument put forth by you all already). The democrats can not be expected to be able to tell these independent groups what to do or say and can not be held accountable for their actions , words or adds.

BUT, the Republican Nominee IS responsible for anything said, done, printed or paid for by any group at all that supports him in any way, no matter how independent.

Do I have that right?

Let me get this straight....

Moveon.Org and their ilk are not controlled by associated with or the responsibility of the Democratic nominee ( that was the argument put forth by you all already). The democrats can not be expected to be able to tell these independent groups what to do or say and can not be held accountable for their actions , words or adds.

BUT, the Republican Nominee IS responsible for anything said, done, printed or paid for by any group at all that supports him in any way, no matter how independent.

Do I have that right?

No, you don't. Of course not.

Clinton and Obama have objected to liberal voices when they believed it appropriate, and both voted to denounce MoveOn for the Gen. Betrayus ad. McCain has spoken out against the smear on Obama, but in a weakly manner not befitting a prospective president.

When McCain spoke out against Falwell and the "agents of intolerance", I was impressed. That's the kind of forceful opposition needed to distance himself from the extremists, and that's what's missing here. (Also, there is the matter of McCain reversing himself on Falwell, and washing his scrotum in the shower).

New Topics

Forum List

Back