McCain Lies About Ayers

NEW YORK In a surprising a letter to the editor published in The New York Times today, the chief prosecutor of the Weather Underground in the 1970s expressed outrage over the linking of Barack Obama to Bill Ayers by the McCain campaign, adding, "Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen."

William C. Ibershof also corrects a charge in the Times: "I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of 'prosecutorial misconduct.' It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director."

Felt, of course (you may have already forgotten), was also known as a guy called "Deep Throat."

The full letter follows. For constant coverage of the media and the campaign go to our new blog at:
The E&P Pub

As the lead federal prosecutor of the Weathermen in the 1970s (I was then chief of the criminal division in the Eastern District of Michigan and took over the Weathermen prosecution in 1972), I am amazed and outraged that Senator Barack Obama is being linked to William Ayers’s terrorist activities 40 years ago when Mr. Obama was, as he has noted, just a child.

Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen.

Because Senator Obama recently served on a board of a charitable organization with Mr. Ayers cannot possibly link the senator to acts perpetrated by Mr. Ayers so many years ago.

I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of “prosecutorial misconduct.” It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director.

William C. Ibershof
Mill Valley, Calif., Oct. 8, 2008

Great info. But you need to post a link with it.

Thanks.

Jillian:

You are in serious denial.

Facts:

1. Obama was hired (we still don't know who by) to be Chairman of the Chicago Annenberg Project to oversee the distribution of 50 million dollars that Ayers got the grant for and another 50 million that was raised by Obama and the board. Ayers was also a member of the board and personally received a large sum of money for his own school project. Note: All the school projects were complete failures.

Ayers sat on the board along with others, including prominent Republicans. There has never been ANY evidence that Ayers was responsible for hiring ANYONE let alone Obama. The large sum of money he received was from Annenberg, a McCain supporter!

2. Later they served together on the Woods Foundation.

wow watch out... another charity board :eusa_shhh:

3. They shared the same office address on the same floor in a very small office building for three years.

so what? I work in a small office building and I don't know half the people who work in this building nor do I associate with them on a daily basis. Hell, I don't associate with 3/4 of the people who actually work in my own office.

4. Their children attended the same school.

makes sense, since they live in the same neighborhood dingle.

5. Obama's campaign manager stated they were friendly.

meaning, Obama didn't dislike the guy. Friendly and Friends are not the same thing.... I'm "friendly" to this girl who I can barely stand at work but we aren't friends. It's called common courtsey.

6. The appeared together on stage at least two times at U of I events one of which Michelle helped put on.

oh my god...alert the FBI! I bet it was even about *gasp* school reform.

7. They remained in communication until Obama went to the US senate.

proof of that fact?

8. Obama publicly praised Ayers' book in the Chicago Tribune.

publically praised? he wrote one line about a book Ayers wrote concerning juvenile justice and the courts. You keep saying this like he praised his memoir. It's utterly ridiculous to keep saying this shit but carry on.

9. Ayers' mentions Obama in his book.

I know, as a guy who lives in the neighborhood :clap2: he also mentioned Mohamad Ali....

10. Obama's political coming out event was at Ayer's home and according to two attendees at the Obama / Ayers event. One of these attendees was a doctor and the other the politician who Obama was replacing.

keep your shit straight Paper. The event was to announce Alice Palmer's intent to run for US Senate not to announced Obama. he was there, yes, as her "heir apparent" to her seat in the IL State Legislature. and one might assume that Obama pissed a lot of those people off who were in attendance that night by having Ms. Palmer thrown off the ballot a short time later when she tried to get him to withdraw from the race when she lost her chance at US Senate.

Obama and Ayers were not "two ships passing in the night". Obama choose to ally himself with Ayers just as Obama chose to ally himself with Rezko and Wright.

Ally himself? okay.... but when you start bitching about Annenberg and other Republicans who ALSO "allied" themselves with Ayers then your complaints and judgements about Obama might seem a lil more sincere. Until then you come off as a partisan hack who thinks that it was solely Obama's responsibility to steer clear of a man who had seemingly rehabilitated himself and was now a respected member of the community and everyone else gets a free pass.

You know what's so amusing? These attacks are backfiring on McCain. You all can't even admit that the general public doesn't seem to give two shits about the supposed connection between a man who was never even jailed and who is now, according to ALL who know him, a respected and contributing member of his community.

I hope McCain keeps it up though. He wastes his limited resources on these attacks and his numbers slip further and further. That's to Obama's benefit. He has endless amounts of money to refute or even counter these attacks and McCain should be careful. Lord knows that in the last week or so Obama could hit him with some serious shit, like voting against vets and women and children. :D

also, there is that matter of the 30 minute spot Obama will have next week!! Giving him the opportunity to speak directly to the people. That always works out well for Obama! :razz:

Ayers sat on the board along with others, including prominent Republicans. There has never been ANY evidence that Ayers was responsible for hiring ANYONE let alone Obama. The large sum of money he received was from Annenberg, a McCain supporter!

wow watch out... another charity board :eusa_shhh:

so what? I work in a small office building and I don't know half the people who work in this building nor do I associate with them on a daily basis. Hell, I don't associate with 3/4 of the people who actually work in my own office.

makes sense, since they live in the same neighborhood dingle.

meaning, Obama didn't dislike the guy. Friendly and Friends are not the same thing.... I'm "friendly" to this girl who I can barely stand at work but we aren't friends. It's called common courtsey.

oh my god...alert the FBI! I bet it was even about *gasp* school reform.

proof of that fact?

publically praised? he wrote one line about a book Ayers wrote concerning juvenile justice and the courts. You keep saying this like he praised his memoir. It's utterly ridiculous to keep saying this shit but carry on.

I know, as a guy who lives in the neighborhood :clap2: he also mentioned Mohamad Ali....

keep your shit straight Paper. The event was to announce Alice Palmer's intent to run for US Senate not to announced Obama. he was there, yes, as her "heir apparent" to her seat in the IL State Legislature. and one might assume that Obama pissed a lot of those people off who were in attendance that night by having Ms. Palmer thrown off the ballot a short time later when she tried to get him to withdraw from the race when she lost her chance at US Senate.

Ally himself? okay.... but when you start bitching about Annenberg and other Republicans who ALSO "allied" themselves with Ayers then your complaints and judgements about Obama might seem a lil more sincere. Until then you come off as a partisan hack who thinks that it was solely Obama's responsibility to steer clear of a man who had seemingly rehabilitated himself and was now a respected member of the community and everyone else gets a free pass.

You know what's so amusing? These attacks are backfiring on McCain. You all can't even admit that the general public doesn't seem to give two shits about the supposed connection between a man who was never even jailed and who is now, according to ALL who know him, a respected and contributing member of his community.

I hope McCain keeps it up though. He wastes his limited resources on these attacks and his numbers slip further and further. That's to Obama's benefit. He has endless amounts of money to refute or even counter these attacks and McCain should be careful. Lord knows that in the last week or so Obama could hit him with some serious shit, like voting against vets and women and children. :D

also, there is that matter of the 30 minute spot Obama will have next week!! Giving him the opportunity to speak directly to the people. That always works out well for Obama! :razz:

oh yes, I'm always impressed by the way he never ever looks right at us. slides those eyes left or right but never straight at us.. yess, very vewy impressisve.

[/B]

oh yes, I'm always impressed by the way he never ever looks right at us. slides those eyes left or right but never straight at us.. yess, very vewy impressisve.

What about McCain and Kemper Marley?

Forum List

Back