Matthew Warren Bought Unregistered Gun Online To Use In Suicide, Rick Warren Says

It's against federal law to sell unregistered rifles or handguns on line just as it is against the law to ship 3,000 unregistered firearms to Mexico. What do you want to do about it? Pass another law or enforce the laws on the books?

Matthew Warren, the son of evangelical megachurch pastor Rick Warren who committed suicide last week, killed himself with an unregistered gun he had bought online, the pastor said on Thursday.

More: Matthew Warren Bought Unregistered Gun Online To Use In Suicide, Rick Warren Says

Whats an unregistered gun?

Apparently that remains under investigation.

It remained unclear how Matthew Warren had obtained a firearm. Gun registration documents are private in California, but permits to carry a concealed weapon are public records. The Orange County Sheriff’s Department told HuffPost reporter Anna Almendrala on Wednesday that Matthew Warren had never applied for a concealed weapon license.

From the OP link.

Hopefully this loophole will be closed.

There is no ‘loophole.’

Online gun sales are also subject to a Federal background check. When one purchases a firearm online, the seller must ship to a local FFL (Federal firearms dealer). The buyer then goes to his local dealer to fill out the 4473 and have the background check completed.

As for ‘unregistered,’ that’s a local matter concerning a given jurisdiction, having nothing to do with the Federal law that requires a background check for gun purchases, including those conducted online.

There is no ‘loophole.’

Online gun sales are also subject to a Federal background check. When one purchases a firearm online, the seller must ship to a local FFL (Federal firearms dealer). The buyer then goes to his local dealer to fill out the 4473 and have the background check completed.

As for ‘unregistered,’ that’s a local matter concerning a given jurisdiction, having nothing to do with the Federal law that requires a background check for gun purchases, including those conducted online.

Loophole? Yes, I understand that. It's just a "phrase" used to describe areas where background checks aren't required.

No doubt Wayne LaPierre will say it is because of all the Glorification of violence he was exposed to, like:

"This is what the LORD of Heaven's Armies has declared: I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, goats, camels, and donkeys."
-- 1 Samuel 15:2-3

There is no ‘loophole.’

So the transaction was illegal? Am I getting this right?

And if so, the seller obviously broke the law, but did the purchaser break the law as well by participating in this transaction?

Not trying to lay blame here; just trying to figure out the law .

Last edited:
No doubt Wayne LaPierre will say it is because of all the Glorification of violence he was exposed to, like:

"This is what the LORD of Heaven's Armies has declared: I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, goats, camels, and donkeys."

Samuel is Old Testament. It's not glorified in Christianity.

Interesting. So someone did break an existing law and there is no loophole.

"We can't tell if it's registered or not because the serial number is scratched off," he said. "At one point in time, it may have been, but it's going to be impossible to find out."

It's illegal in California to buy a gun without a background check and purchasers are supposed to register their firearms. Defacing a gun's serial number is a federal offense.

Read more here: TUSTIN, Calif.: Rick Warren: Son used unregistered gun in suicide - Nation Wires - MiamiHerald.com

Samuel is Old Testament. It's not glorified in Christianity.

Isn't the Old Testament supposedly the "word of God"? I can see why it's not "glorified in Christianity"...

I'm not sure what the point if this thread is.

Just file it under "background checks" for now. Matthew Warren reportedly had a long history of mental illness.

Ok don't really see that preventing his suicide though he could have slit his wrist, overdosed, hung himself there are more ways to take your own life than I care to think about.

What loophole? It's already illegal to sell guns online without a background check, and a Federal offense to scratch off the serial number. There was no loophole that was exploited, but an illegal purchase that led to a suicide.

Do you honestly think more frivolous laws would have prevented this?

There is no ‘loophole.’

So the transaction was illegal? Am I getting this right?

And if so, the seller obviously broke the law, but did the purchaser break the law as well by participating in this transaction?

Not trying to lay blame here; just trying to figure out the law .

No One is required to have a concealed carry permit to own a firearm. Unless California requires a license to buy a hand gun and the dealer did not get one from the buyer nothing illegal occurred. Further a BACKGROUND check WAS conducted or the FFL dealer would be locked up.

Online sales DO have back ground checks. You can ONLY ship firearms to and from a FEDERALLY licensed dealer. When the weapon arrives the buyer has to go to the dealer and fill out the paper work which includes a BACKGROUND check.

Lakota is just stupid as are most gun grabbers.

Forum List

Back