Massachusetts same-sex marriage pioneers split up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl Marx said:
No generalization was made. I claimed that it was an argument for gay marriage and provided some links. The authors of each of the links I supplied made the same argument in one form or another (among others), i.e., gay marriage would help marriage in general.
No, you're saying that a general argument for gay marriage was that it would strengthen the institution of marriage. Before now, I had never heard this claim, and the examples you managed to provide can only be said to support your position with, to say the least, some twisting of the context. Then again, I don't care enough to be dragged into such a minor debate beyond this point. This is all you'll hear from me on the subject.

Nuc said:
I guess my point is that neither state nor federal government should be involved in this. Marriage should be a personal thing.

Unfortunately it says a lot about our society that issues of divorce are actually more relevant than issues of marriage.

Regarding divorce I think couples should negotiate their divorce before getting married. If they had to go through this process it would stop a lot of unsuitable couples from getting married in the first place.
Marriage probably would be a personal thing, except for the fact that marriage involves issues of property and inheritance (and as I said before taxes). And if the truth were told, marriage has always been about property and inheritance.

Marriage has not always been about love, in fact, marrying for love is a relatively recent development, historically speaking. In the distant past, you married the person your parents chose for you and the considerations were everything but romantic. In fact, property was one of those considerations as well as heirs. So, historically, marriage was not a right, it was a duty to your family. You got married to produce children and heirs, pass along the family fortune and so forth.

Your suggestion that couples should negotiate their divorce beforehand is the intent behind prenuptial agreements . I have to agree that marriage should be handled as a contract. It is somewhat impersonal, but the fact that many people wait until later in life before marrying means that they get married with substantial assets. In many states, the marriage laws divide the property right down the middle. Other states approach it differently. Many times, a person (usually a woman) goes into a marriage with few assets and leaves with a fortune (and usually, the situation is that most of that fortune earned by her husband).

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Mr.Conley said:
No, you're saying that a general argument for gay marriage was that it would strengthen the institution of marriage. Before now, I had never heard this claim, and the examples you managed to provide can only be said to support your position with, to say the least, some twisting of the context. Then again, I don't care enough to be dragged into such a minor debate beyond this point. This is all you'll hear from me on the subject.

Libs were so sure gay marrage would sweep them back into power in 04.

Instead it helped defeat them. Please libs, keep gay marrage as one of your priorities in 06 and 08. Please keep telling folks who oppose gay marrage they are bigoted hate filled racists. Please keep comparing gay marrage to the civil rights act.

Keep reminding folks why they did not vote for Dems in 2000, 2002, and 2005. The streak will continue in 06 and 08.

red states rule said:
Libs were so sure gay marrage would sweep them back into power in 04.

Instead it helped defeat them. Please libs, keep gay marrage as one of your priorities in 06 and 08. Please keep telling folks who oppose gay marrage they are bigoted hate filled racists. Please keep comparing gay marrage to the civil rights act.

Keep reminding folks why they did not vote for Dems in 2000, 2002, and 2005. The streak will continue in 06 and 08.
That's all well and good, but whether or not gay marriage is an issue that can help the Democrats regain office doesn't impact the debate on whether gay marriage should or should not be allowed.

Mr.Conley said:
I think that he's trying to claim that you've made an invalid generalization, and based on the evidence you've shown, I agree with him. Three links, none of which directly support what you're claiming, are, in my opinion, insufficient proof for your claim that a major pro-gay marriage argument is/was that same-sex marriage would strengthen the institution of marriage.

Well ya know what? You damn liberals are professionals at pretending evidence doesn't exist, EVEN WHEN IT'S THROWN IN YOUR FACE! So you and missleprick playing your little, "we don't see it" game goes over here like a turd in a punch bowl. You BOTH look like a couple of MORONS denying the OBVIOUS! So keep up your denial, you're knocking your own image in the dirt.... where it belongs.

dmp said:
So sickening to see they consider 'raising their daughter' a priority, when they are harming their daughter to untold lengths by simply living such a selfish, destructive, mind-fuck lifestyle. :(

Dept of Health and Soc. Services should remove from custody ANY child living with practicing homosexuals.

And gee... why didn't they adopt a little BOY to raise? Oh.... that's right, they don't LIKE boys. They couldn't INDOCTRINATE and then MOLEST a little boy.

I TOTALLY agree d. Fags and lezbos should NOT be allowed to have ANYTHING to do with children.

Mr.Conley said:
That's all well and good, but whether or not gay marriage is an issue that can help the Democrats regain office doesn't impact the debate on whether gay marriage should or should not be allowed.

It will not help Dems regain their power - it will only prevent it

Libs rant "count every vote", except of course when the votes do not go their way.

Every state where the folks have voted on gay marrage it has been defeated.

KarlMarx said:
The big deal is that one of the arguments given for gay marriage was that it would save the institution of marriage. Apparently, whoever made this argument thought that gays would take their marriage vows more seriously than heteros. I think that, if gay marriage becomes legal, in the long run, gays won't have a better track record than straights, and may even have a worse one.

I think the more prevalent argument was that it would tame gay culture to a greater extent. Many conservatives used the point that homosexuals were naturally promiscuous, which they believed to be detrimental to society. Liberals countered that by saying that marriage could limit (to some extent)that promiscuity.

Pale Rider said:
Well ya know what? You damn liberals are professionals at pretending evidence doesn't exist, EVEN WHEN IT'S THROWN IN YOUR FACE! So you and missleprick playing your little, "we don't see it" game goes over here like a turd in a punch bowl. You BOTH look like a couple of MORONS denying the OBVIOUS! So keep up your denial, you're knocking your own image in the dirt.... where it belongs.

Hey Pole Rider! Nice of you to throw your 2 cents into the mix. You're always good for a laugh...thanks! It's obvious that you haven't read the thread or the links thrown in here, it's just more of your jumping to conclusions. Why don't you stick you nose where you like it...in the crotch of some f-male, harley hog.

What's the difference between Pole Rider's harley and the last chick he woke up with?

About 5 pounds! :rotflmao:

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Anybody from another planet reading this board would get the impression that homosexuality is the most important subject on planet earth. Wonder why so many people here are obsessed with it? :suck:

MissileMan said:
Hey Pole Rider! Nice of you to throw your 2 cents into the mix. You're always good for a laugh...thanks! It's obvious that you haven't read the thread or the links thrown in here, it's just more of your jumping to conclusions. Why don't you stick you nose where you like it...in the crotch of some f-male, harley hog.

What's the difference between Pole Rider's harley and the last chick he woke up with?

That was only a pennies worth bottlerocketboy. And I DID read the thread. ALL of it. It's YOU that apparetly didn't read it, or you wouldn't be acting like Karl didn't prove his point, when he DID.

Get with the program jizzleboy. Your lame bullshit is just as stale as your attempts at humor.

Nuc said:
Anybody from another planet reading this board would get the impression that homosexuality is the most important subject on planet earth. Wonder why so many people here are obsessed with it? :suck:

You must be the only one "obsessed" with it. A skunk smells his own stink first.

Most others here are "opposed".

Pale Rider said:
You must be the only one "obsessed" with it. A skunk smells his own stink first.

Most others here are "opposed".

The anti's are an obsessed little minority. Otherwise, they wouldn't run out and vote because the issue is on the ballot. The majority of normal folk really couldn't care less. You know, the whole "live and let live" thing"...

Oh right.. you don't know. :teeth:

jillian said:
The anti's are an obsessed little minority. Otherwise, they wouldn't run out and vote because the issue is on the ballot. The majority of normal folk really couldn't care less. You know, the whole "live and let live" thing"...

Oh right.. you don't know. :teeth:

Before the 04 election, the libs were delighted with having the folks vote on gay marrage. They bellowed how it would turn their base out on a "civil rights" issue.

Now that the libs have lost every vote on gay marrage, now it is not important?

liberalogic said:
I think the more prevalent argument was that it would tame gay culture to a greater extent. Many conservatives used the point that homosexuals were naturally promiscuous, which they believed to be detrimental to society. Liberals countered that by saying that marriage could limit (to some extent)that promiscuity.
At last! A liberal who understood what I was saying! I was beginning I must be posting in Chinese! thanks!

Yes, I've heard that argument, too. I think the reasoning was, if I recall correctly, that if gays were allowed to be married, many of them would "settle down" into monogamous relationships and help slow the spread of HIV and other diseases.

MissileMan said:

MissileMan, are you here to debate or are you trolling? Which is it? First you start on me, then when I don't give you the satisfaction, you have to start with someone else!!!

I swear, I've seen 2 year olds behave with more intelligence!

KarlMarx said:
MissileMan, are you here to debate or are you trolling? Which is it? First you start on me, then when I don't give you the satisfaction, you have to start with someone else!!!

I swear, I've seen 2 year olds behave with more intelligence!

Before you start raggin my ass, you need to read the post I was responding to. I didn't start anything. Those filters on your eyeballs are still only letting through what you want to see.

KarlMarx said:
At last! A liberal who understood what I was saying! I was beginning I must be posting in Chinese! thanks!

Yes, I've heard that argument, too. I think the reasoning was, if I recall correctly, that if gays were allowed to be married, many of them would "settle down" into monogamous relationships and help slow the spread of HIV and other diseases.

Except that wasn't at all what you were talking about. What does "saving the institution of marriage" have to do with "gays settling down"? You didn't just shift gears, you changed cars and racetrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back