Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in Miami boat crash..

Desperado

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2012
Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in Miami boat crash.. Looks like they were coming back in from a fishing trip and hit the Government Cut Jetty at South Beach. US Coast Guard found the boat around 4AM this morning. Two others were aboard the boat too, both of them were killed too.

He comes from a shit hole of a country, has a promising career in the MLB, and dies at the age of 24. Really sad. :(

Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in Miami boat crash.. Looks like they were coming back in from a fishing trip and hit the Government Cut Jetty at South Beach. US Coast Guard found the boat around 4AM this morning. Two others were aboard the boat too, both of them were killed too.
Saw that picture...how does that happen piled that far up on the rocks

>> Fernandez initially was scheduled to start on Sunday, but on Saturday it was announced he would pitch the series opener with the Mets on Monday in Miami.

Fernandez, already a two-time All-Star, was winding down his best big league season, posting a 16-8 record with a 2.86 ERA. The hard-throwing right-hander already had put together a franchise record for strikeouts with 253 strikeouts this season, and his 12.49 strikeouts per nine innings rank tops in the Majors.

Fernandez's path to the big leagues is inspirational.

Three times he tried unsuccessfully to defect from his native Cuba before arriving in the United States at age 15. He settled in Tampa, Fla., and became a sensation.

.... Fernandez's last start was perhaps the best of his career. On Sept. 20, he tossed a season-high eight innings and struck out 12 in a 1-0 shutout win over the Nationals. << -- from MLB

Speed! The boat was coming in fast and at night the jetty is hard to see. According to the Coast Guard Jose was not the one driving the boat.
Another sad note is that his girl friend is pregnant. He had so much to live for. May he RIP

Last edited:
Speed! The boat was coming in fast and at night the jetty is hard to see. According to the Coast Guard Jose was not the one driving the boat.
Another sad note is that his girl friend is pregnant. He had so much to live for. May he RIP

One report said the owner of the boat knew the area well, so it's a mystery why it hit the jetty if he was driving. It looks like the boat hit another part of the jetty or something head on and then flipped over to land in the position it was found in.

One report said the owner of the boat knew the area well, so it's a mystery why it hit the jetty if he was driving. It looks like the boat hit another part of the jetty or something head on and then flipped over to land in the position it was found in.
Those that are drunk or high have very poor judgment.

They were moving at a high rate of speed.

It's starting to look that way. Fernandez gets into argument with his pregnant fiance, is upset and wants to go off on his boat to get his head straight. He calls his friends to talk it out, but before that he wants to get numb.

May be last picture of Fernandez alive taken outside Miami restaurant and bar
Some details of Jose Fernandez's final hours revealed

What he and his fiance argued about
Carla Mendoza Squashes Pregnancy Rumors: Maria Arias Is Expecting Jose Fernandez’s Baby

Some wags just can't let the dead rest in peace without digging up conspiracy theories.

For fuck's sake, get a life.

Some wags just can't let the dead rest in peace without digging up conspiracy theories.

For fuck's sake, get a life.

Shooting off your mouth too fast as usual, Pogo. I took an interest to this story for a couple of reasons. One personal -- it could be me when I was young. If you're young and successful, then there is pressure for you to get married. Less worry about fooling around and getting some other chicks preggie. There was a girl whom maybe I should've married in hindsight. Sometimes your mind is somewhere else and the timing isn't right. Was she the one they argued over? He's the one who called the marriage off, so who knows but one can tell he's troubled. Why? Sometimes things work out that way. Second reason has to do with being a MLB fan and fantasy baseball manager. In fantasy, people are still talking about it. His team still has a chance for the wild card, so why call your good friends to go driving a boat at night? It's devastating in that I was going to draft him next year since he had the type of wins and performances that were dominating, i.e. would put your team over the top for that week.

Sigh.... completely sailed right over his head.

:dig:

Why do you always end up digging your own grave, Pogo?

I would guess you didn't marry early. Never fear. The last one's for you.

20. Let Your Failure Help Set Your Course

20 Things Highly Successful People Do In Their 20s

BTW in the it's a shame for such a loss column, I found that Jose made $2.8 M in 2016. He was arb eligible for 2017 and 18 meaning that he stood to make a minimum qualifying offer of $16+ M/per year. Then in 2019, he would have hit the jackpot becoming a free agent. Easily, he could have gotten a $200 M contract.

Last edited:
Real poor judgement by whomever was at the helm. I've been a boater for years and you never drive fast at night no mattter how familiar you are with the area you're in. I've got an array of lights for night navigating but they don't afford the visibility you have in daylight, so rocketing along in the dark is always a recipe for potential disaster.

Real poor judgement by whomever was at the helm. I've been a boater for years and you never drive fast at night no mattter how familiar you are with the area you're in. I've got an array of lights for night navigating but they don't afford the visibility you have in daylight, so rocketing along in the dark is always a recipe for potential disaster.

I agree 110%. In this case, I think the question is would you go out on your good friend's boat if he's upset over something and calls you to go out on the boat with him late at night? Assume he has his boat moored close by. I'd want to talk him out of it and hash it out at his place or go somewhere without the boat. Yet, that didn't happen and you end up on his boat, so I would rather go someplace to talk instead of heading out to sea. I would think Jose Fernandez was driving. We do not have the details yet, so this is the theory I have.

You were right, sir. Both drunk and high.

Forum List

Back