Marley & Me gave me a cramp in my throat

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
I watched it with my wife last night, and in an attempt to be manly, I held back my tears and ended up with a cramp in my pharynx.

In hindsight, I should have gone the blathering idiot route.

The movie made me appreciate my dog more, who has been religated to the back burner since the birth of the childs

Just remember, if the world fell apart and desperation set in, you'd eat the dog but not the children.
Does that put things in perspective for you?

I agree, xotoxi. It was a cool flick that left you more appreciative of your family pet. I cried, too, and didn't try to contain myself.

I think the film succeeded in this area by not overplaying on the "sad" part. It moved along at a nice pace (as the entire film did), and as a result moved (touched) its viewers in an effective and authentic way without making them feel as if they were "pushing" for those tears.

I thought the film succeeded, too, in giving a greater appreciation for family....especially your spouse.

Last edited:
Why can't men cry when they want to cry? You can't even cry in front of your wife xoxotoxi?

I cried at that movie, how could someone not?

Man's best friend indeed.

OK, I took the kids to see M&M when it first came out and I didn't like it, none of us liked it much. I thought it was going to be along the lines of a 'Turner and Hooch' movie with the dog a bigger part of the movie but I felt like they added the dog parts in because the rest of the movie sucked and they were trying to save it. I also didn't think it should have had a PG rating, considering all the sex and language in the movie.

Yeah, yeah the dog dies in the end - you knew that was going to happen 1/2 hour into the movie - but still, it sure didn't live up to my expectations.

Last edited:
Just remember, if the world fell apart and desperation set in, you'd eat the dog but not the children.
Does that put things in perspective for you?

The children are younger and thus have more tender muscles.

That's all I'm saying...

Those dog movies always make me cry, somebody inevitably treats them like shit for one reason or another. Like those Air Bud movies.

I've seen the real owners of Marley on The Dog Whisperer and it was their fault the dog was so bad. They had another one that was really bad too and Ceasar was called in to rescue it. I don't think even he could help those people.

I read this book last year and, GODDAMMIT, why is it always the case that the dog must fucking die? Bullshit.

Watch, or better yet, read, "Where the Red Fern Grows".

Sorry, I think Jen and Owen are the two most annoying people on the face of the earth. Wilson's voice is the same pitch as nails across a chalkboard.

I did watch "Hotel For Dogs" with my kids yesterday and it was FANTASTIC! What a fabulous movie! And the dogs don't talk, which is a relief. It was nothing like I expected. It was sort of like an urban fairy tale, very artsy, very cute.

Watch, or better yet, read, "Where the Red Fern Grows".

Sorry, I think Jen and Owen are the two most annoying people on the face of the earth. Wilson's voice is the same pitch as nails across a chalkboard.

I did watch "Hotel For Dogs" with my kids yesterday and it was FANTASTIC! What a fabulous movie! And the dogs don't talk, which is a relief. It was nothing like I expected. It was sort of like an urban fairy tale, very artsy, very cute.

Is that the one with the Chihuahuas?

No, that's Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Which is ok, and the kids did enjoy it.... but Hotel for Dogs is a lot better.

No, that's Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Which is ok, and the kids did enjoy it.... but Hotel for Dogs is a lot better.

I see the previews for the Beverly Hills one on TWC all the time. It looks funny. I don't have little ones at home but I see the previews of some of these sometimes and I just burst out laughing. Kid at heart.. :)

Me too. I really have kids so I don't feel stupid renting and purchasing all of the Barbie movies, Disney animated movies, Looney Toons, and fantasy flicks.

Right now my 5-year-old is all about Star Wars. I bought Star Wars IV for him, and I rented V (The Empire Strikes Back...YODA!) from Netflix. He has Star WArs action figures, Legos, you name it. This winter I had to "play" Star Wars with him and his action figures when he was cooped up and his sister wouldn't play.

Forum List

Back