market set to surge

• Banned
world economy being stablized in a concerted effort by most countries and consumer confidence at new highs then there is the record breaking black friday sales and cyber monday sales.

This is getting good

• Banned
consumer confidence is up, auto sales up.

things are starting to look good

Mr. Market in manic mode. That's awesome

The Euro is saved, US Deficits disappear.

Awesome.

Yaaaay!!
The markets are good because once again the American taxpayer takes on the risk...whoohoo...let's repeat the 1980's and 90's all over again...who cares if none of this is real?

A good, concise article on the mechanics of todays move by the central banks:

The attempt by major central banks to ease strains on Europe's credit markets certainly cheered financial markets on Wednesday, but what does the coordinated action actually do?

In essence, the US central bank, or Federal Reserve, agreed to provide cheaper dollar funding to the European Central Bank-which can then provide cheaper dollar loans to cash-strapped European banks.

The goal is to ease the credit crunch in Europe. Lots of European banks make dollar denominated loans, in part because US interest rates are so low. The banks do not usually finance these loans in the way you might think-by lending out the deposits of their retail customers. Instead, the loans are financed by short-term borrowings from other financial institutions.

Central Banks to the Rescue? What Today's Action Means - Yahoo! Finance

Last edited:

The attempt by major central banks to ease strains on Europe's credit markets certainly cheered financial markets on Wednesday, but what does the coordinated action actually do?

In essence, the US central bank, or Federal Reserve, agreed to provide cheaper dollar funding to the European Central Bank-which can then provide cheaper dollar loans to cash-strapped European banks.

The goal is to ease the credit crunch in Europe. Lots of European banks make dollar denominated loans, in part because US interest rates are so low. The banks do not usually finance these loans in the way you might think-by lending out the deposits of their retail customers. Instead, the loans are financed by short-term borrowings from other financial institutions.

your right thanks

your right thanks

Yeah he is right - so what the hell do you got to cheer about?
You a European Bank?
You a leader of Greece, Italy, Spain, germany etc?

NO - you are an American taxpayer (well maybe) - so you should be outraged - not happy about this...but...why should I in any way expect you to know a damn thing other than what you think you know.

ADP jobs number was very good.

Chicago PMI was very good.

Global central banks cut interest rates on swap lines.

It is a good day for the markets.

Yeah - great day for the markets.
Bad day to be an American taxpayer.
Congratulations on exploiting us again.

You're welcome.

I was short stock this morning though.

BTW you know what the banks did, right? They cut the interest rate on dollar liquidity swaps from LIBOR+100 to LIBOR+50. That's what happened.

You're welcome.

BTW you know what the banks did, right? They cut the interest rate on dollar liquidity swaps from LIBOR+100 to LIBOR+50. That's what happened.

Yes.
Like I said in the other thread a few weeks ago - once again risk is being dodged/averted.
What does this do to reduce Europes debt? By making it easier to borrow more?
My first guess was that even more money would be slipped to the IMF from the FED via taxpayer money...and this would be how we would avoid Euro catastrophe - I was somewhat confirmed by this last week when the IMF chief said she was going to "increase loan availability"...okaaay...the IMF doesn't have 1/20th the money to make a significant dent in Europes problems...so that tells me the IMF is counting on additional money from America/Britain/Germany...when that didn't look to promising - we get today.

Something has to happen to risk...risk never disappears, it is often hidden, lied about, and mostly ignored - but the extreme European risk is STILL THERE.

You're welcome.

Yeah, good time to average down for the Great "Look Out Below!" moment on the horizon

Yes. In truth it has little real effect other than make liquidity a bit cheaper. But it is a surprise and lets the market know that the central banks will act.

Last edited:
The market is priced to perfection squared right now, as if the ME were at peace and the EU was solid and stable.

We'll all look back on this and laugh some day

Forum List

Back