Marist Poll: 74% of Americans Know We Declared Independence from Great Britain

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/72-don’t-know-much-about-history/

July 2, 2010 by Marist Poll
Filed under Celebrations, Celebrations Polls, Featured, Living

There’s good news for American education. About three-quarters of residents — 74% — know the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. The bad news for the academic system — 26% do not. This 26% includes one-fifth who are unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation. That begs the question, “From where do the latter think the U.S. achieved its independence?” Among the countries mentioned are France, China, Japan, Mexico, and Spain.

How many illegals answered the poll?

Anyone that's watched Leno interview people on the street knows how dumb Americans are.

Yes we know. We watched obie wan voters being interviewd. The agreed to everything no matter what including Sarah Palin as obie wan's VP.. It was friggin hilarious.

the 26% who don't know should be sterilized and stripped of their voting privileges. Jesus Christ, how can anyone be that stupid?

wow do we agree on something here? its sad that people who migrate legally are forced to learn all sorts of stuff about our nation, while people born here get a free pass. a law should be made that gives people born here a break until somewhere between 13-15 and after that they get 3 years to pass the same test immigrants must pass or they lose their citizenship and get put at the back of migrant line.

Anyone that's watched Leno interview people on the street knows how dumb Americans are.

That is no joke. Did you see the one where like 60% of adults he interviewed said Washington DC was in the state of Washington? Yeah those people should be executed on the spot.

indeed. and the parents should have to pay for the funeral and the other costs as punishment for raising ignorant fucks

I find it harder to relate to all that colonial stuff here in Arizona than I did when I was back in Ohio. I see American history pertaining to these parts as beginning with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848) and then the Gadsden Purchase (1853) for the area between the Mexican border and about 20 miles south of here. Around the time they were signing the Declaration of Independence back east, a Spanish fort was being built in Tucson.

Forum List

Back