Marist Poll: 74% of Americans Know We Declared Independence from Great Britain

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
http://maristpoll.marist.edu/72-don’t-know-much-about-history/

July 2, 2010 by Marist Poll
Filed under Celebrations, Celebrations Polls, Featured, Living

There’s good news for American education. About three-quarters of residents — 74% — know the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. The bad news for the academic system — 26% do not. This 26% includes one-fifth who are unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation. That begs the question, “From where do the latter think the U.S. achieved its independence?” Among the countries mentioned are France, China, Japan, Mexico, and Spain.

There’s good news for American education. About three-quarters of residents — 74% — know the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. The bad news for the academic system — 26% do not. This 26% includes one-fifth who are unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation. That begs the question, “From where do the latter think the U.S. achieved its independence?” Among the countries mentioned are France, China, Japan, Mexico, and Spain.

Yay lets spend more on our public schools they clearly work so well.

the 26% who don't know should be sterilized and stripped of their voting privileges. Jesus Christ, how can anyone be that stupid?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

BEt the 26% are either illegal aliens or children of illegal aliens.

Good point considering we used to actually teach legal immigrants basic English and our history before giving them citizenship.

Now we let them stay Mexican and just work here.

Sadly, I doubt it. I bet you anything they are good red blooded stupid Americans.

That would be "their".

:lol: no it wouldn't be.

Their is the possessive form of there. Ollie clearly wasn't calling it THEIR education. he was talking about the public education over there.

Massive failure. :lol:

I was ignoring that. I posted exactly what I meant to post. Some simply don't understand.

Too funny to ignore. that ranks right up there with calling someone an idiot and misspelling idiot LOL

That is a sweeping generalization.

Anyone that's watched Leno interview people on the street knows how dumb Americans are.

Anyone that's watched Leno interview people on the street knows how dumb Americans are.

That is no joke. Did you see the one where like 60% of adults he interviewed said Washington DC was in the state of Washington? Yeah those people should be executed on the spot.

That is no joke. Did you see the one where like 60% of adults he interviewed said Washington DC was in the state of Washington? Yeah those people should be executed on the spot.

Executed? wow harsh lol. The only shoulder part of the blame. After all they went to government run public schools and graduated. :clap2:

I agree with you sometimes, but I am really glad you aren't in power. Because I dont think any of us would have a chance.

I agree with you sometimes, but I am really glad you aren't in power. Because I dont think any of us would have a chance.

LOL - Oh come on, that was hyperbole, I wouldn't execute anyone, hell we need ditch diggers to.

Forum List

Back