Marine General Mattis named new SecDef

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Good news and a good pick.

Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. James Mattis for secretary of defense
President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. James N. Mattis to be secretary of defense, according to people familiar with the decision, nominating a former senior military officer who led operations across the Middle East to run the Pentagon less than four years after he hung up his uniform.

To take the job, Mattis will need Congress to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law stating that defense secretaries must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years. Congress has granted a similar exception just once, when Gen. George C. Marshall was appointed to the job in 1950.

An announcement is likely by early next week, according to the people familiar with the choice. Jason Miller, a spokesman with the Trump transition team, tweeted Thursday evening that no decision had been made. Trump’s son Donald Jr., meanwhile, retweeted a report saying that Mattis got the job.

A few of General Mattis's more common "mattisms":

14482171_749977501808474_3495753210260357120_n.jpg

15043638_1000764463400739_3245023447700471808_n.jpg

This letter General James Mattis wrote to his Marines is a must read in military history
genmattisltr-1.jpg

Excellent choice. A former general that knows how to deal with the enemy. He's probably about as close to Patton as we have. I hope he gets approved.

'Bout damn time we had a WARRIOR in charge of the Puzzle Palace. And I hope Trump has enough sense to let him run things. The military way instead of that limp wristed Obuma's "community organizing.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see what General Mattis proposes to deal with Putin's shenanigans.

"We've backed off in good faith to try and give you a chance to straighten this problem out. But I am going to beg with you for a minute. I'm going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years."
-- General James Mattis

Forum List

Back