Marijuana legalization clashes with drug testing in the workplace

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
Marijuana legalization clashes with drug testing in the workplace Guardian Sustainable Business The Guardian
df28bad1-6822-4a59-8962-9c354fe79ea5-620x372.jpeg

I do not see a problem at all+
I'm all for employee drug testing but there has to be a better way to test. As it stands now all you are testing is if people have residual drugs in their systems. You could have smoked weed 4 weeks ago and fail a drug test and lose you job.

"Drug testing" is bullshit. Nobody should bend over for that kind of statist overreach. I won't even patronize businesses that do it.

I can't believe We the Sheeple just bent over for that shit and enabled it. Now look where we are. Good job, assholes. Way to stand up.

Every bus driver and pharmacist should be high on the job. How are we going to have gas line explosions if the city workers aren't high.

You can smoke all the crap you want, but an employer who is paying you has a right to have you clean from drugs. You are taking his money, if you don't like it, create your own business, just don't become a truck or bus driver, the government random tests you if you have a CDL.

You can smoke all the crap you want, but an employer who is paying you has a right to have you clean from drugs.

Not if they don't impair your job they don't.

An employee is hired for his/her labor ---- not the contents of his/her bloodstream. I don't know why people bend over for this shit.

You can smoke all the crap you want, but an employer who is paying you has a right to have you clean from drugs.

An employee is hired for his/her labor ---- not the contents of his/her bloodstream. I don't know why people bend over for this shit.
It's an invasion of privacy...I would never work for a company that did drug testing.. They can keep their money...

It's an invasion of privacy...I would never work for a company that did drug testing.. They can keep their money...

Solidarity, brother. Me too.

I was asked one time to do a pee test. I refused. What happened to my job? Nothing. I was advised that if I was involved in some mishap where someone got hurt I might be tested and if something in there were found to be a factor, disqualified from disability benefits or something along those lines, and that's fine. But don't come at me with a beaker to run a freaking cash register. People gotta grow a pair and get a grip.

Let's remember that these are private companies requiring the tests, not the government – consequently there are no privacy or search and seizure rights violations.

Indeed, in some rare cases government has actually played a role in protecting citizens from searches such as drug tests by their employers; the California state constitution affords privacy rights to both public and private sector employers, for example, and seven other states have enacted similar legislation.

Most everywhere else, however, if you refuse the test you'll likely lose your job or not be hired.

Their job, their rules, don't like it, open your own company, advertise you hire druggies and have at it.

Their right to require drug testing, your right not to take the job.

Let's remember that these are private companies requiring the tests, not the government – consequently there are no privacy or search and seizure rights violations.

Indeed, in some rare cases government has actually played a role in protecting citizens from searches such as drug tests by their employers; the California state constitution affords privacy rights to both public and private sector employers, for example, and seven other states have enacted similar legislation.

Yes, it is an institutional cancer, dressed up to look like a normal thing, and its biggest cheerleader from the bully pulpit was that son-of-a-Nazi George H.W. Bush. Which was way out of line for that position, and it was things like that that made me hold my nose and vote for Bill Clinton, just to get him out of office. But it's an invasion of privacy nonetheless, and should be resisted by all, for we are only as strong as our weakest links. Which links apparently can be downright malleable.

Most everywhere else, however, if you refuse the test you'll likely lose your job or not be hired.

--- Or so the institution would have us believe. I don't know that that's the case (and in my limited experience it wasn't the case), but I can guarantee if everybody stood up for themselves and just said no, that house of cards would collapse wid a quickness.

DOT requires CDL drivers to take and pass a drug test. They can revoke, deny your CDL. What's more is they make employers to do the testing and pay for the testing. The company has no choice but to comply or lose their DOT number.

Their job, their rules, don't like it, open your own company, advertise you hire druggies and have at it.

Might make for an interesting discrimination trial. :thup:

As I said, I simply said no, and they backed down, so there was no issue. I've never been the bend-over-yes-master-may-I-have-another type, so it simply is not going to happen. You want my services, you'll hire me on my services, not some knee-jerk pseudopatriotic "war on drugs" bullshit charade. I don't play charades.

"Drug testing" is bullshit. Nobody should bend over for that kind of statist overreach. I won't even patronize businesses that do it.

I can't believe We the Sheeple just bent over for that shit and enabled it. Now look where we are. Good job, assholes. Way to stand up.

I gotta disagree with you in this one case. People operating heavy equipment, or any other position where less than100% concentration can cause great damage or death should always be subject to drug testing. That's not to say that across the board drug testing for everybody makes any sense at all, but a few specific cases should, and I think will always be appropriate for drug testing.

I gotta disagree with you in this one case. People operating heavy equipment, or any other position where less than100% concentration can cause great damage or death should always be subject to drug testing. That's not to say that across the board drug testing for everybody makes any sense at all, but a few specific cases should, and I think will always be appropriate for drug testing.

Except a "drug test" is not a concentration test. It's a chemical analysis, from which assumptions must be extrapolated.

Aye, there's the rub.

It would be perfectly possible -- and indeed happens, often -- that some operator of said equipment fails to concentrate from, say, lack of rest the night before, or from being preoccupied with some outside matter. Yet his blood could be squeaky "clean".

Might make for an interesting discrimination trial. :thup:

As I said, I simply said no, and they backed down, so there was no issue. I've never been the bend-over-yes-master-may-I-have-another type, so it simply is not going to happen. You want my services, you'll hire me on my services, not some knee-jerk pseudopatriotic "war on drugs" bullshit charade. I don't play charades.

Neither do I, I don't care if I'm tested or not, after I'm hired I get paid to take the test. They pay for the test, big deal.

Except a "drug test" is not a concentration test. It's a chemical analysis, from which assumptions must be extrapolated.

Aye, there's the rub.

The liability that a company must take on is very high, one accident in a commercial vehicle can wipe an entire company out and put 100s out of work.

Do a job that doesn't require drug testing, that is your right.

It's my body, my privacy..I refuse to work for drug testing companies.That is why I was self employed for many years and plan on being self employed again after meeting with a business owner selling his restaurant tomorrow...and I will not drug test people working for me..I can tell if someone is not able to function because of abuse..I won't treat them with discrimination, I will try to get them help to change their whey of living...

Their right to require drug testing, your right not to take the job.
yep..I can make my own income through my own efforts...

Aye, there's the rub.

The liability that a company must take on is very high, one accident in a commercial vehicle can wipe an entire company out and put 100s out of work.

Do a job that doesn't require drug testing, that is your right.
All the years I did work in industry I have never had an accident...I am very careful and observant of my environment..I didn't get high at work....

Forum List

Back