Many Recipients of Government Funds Don't Know they Receive Government Funds

One of the most ridiculous things that I keep hearing is that people 'earn' their money.

Nonsense. Nobody ever got wealthy working for a living.

In our economy, most of the money goes to 'ownership' in the form of profits. It doesn't go to the people that do the work.

All worker, right up to management level, live in an environment where they live beyond their means. So where does the wealth go? It gets funneled up to the wealthiest who only 'own' but do not produce.

Did the black Americans of the early 19th century and before 'earn' nothing thru their labors? They earned plenty, but all the money went to the 'owners'. The same is true, to a lesser extent, today. The people that do the productive work recieve a pittance while ownership recieves the lions share.

No one ever got wealthy working for a living?

Madam C. J. Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about that. A woman, born to an ex slave, worked hard, and died the first self made woman millionaire. I am starting to believe you do not just play an idiot on the internet.

I mean, seriously, getting a mortgage deduction is also a type of government subsidized housing.

No it isn't, dipstick.

You're immune to facts and logic.

What if, instead of a mortgage interest deduction, the government collected taxes as written, then made an annual payment to homeowners. Would that be a government subsidy? If not, why not?

That would be a return of funds....

you lose your wallet with a $100
I find it and return it it to you. I am not subsidizing you any money
:eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Worse is seeing the Left believe that use of a mandatory state program which affects a person's whole investment life by taking money from them, is proof of support of gov't programs.

Using that low level, since everyone was forced to join the Communist party to work in the Soviet Union, it must mean they all support it because they are all members of it.

-

Unless one assumes that all money belongs to the gov't,

Keeping more of your OWN money from the gov't that you earned on your own is not a subsidy.

Getting money from the gov't that was never earned by you is a true subsidy

It's absolutely a subsidy. I have to pay higher taxes to finance your choice to own a particular class of investment. How is that not a subsidy?

Not at all, you have the same ability to choose the same investment options.
Plus, your money is going to the gov't to finance their needs and uses.
Since the gov't can not create wealth, you are subsidizing them.

If you are saying the tax burden is unfairly and unevenly spread across the tax groups
then I am with you.

Sure, and you can also choose to earn an income low enough to get government tax credits.

That doesn't change the fact that the mortgage deduction is a government subsidy....it is the government "rewarding" you for acting in a certain manner.

It's absolutely a subsidy. I have to pay higher taxes to finance your choice to own a particular class of investment. How is that not a subsidy?

Not at all, you have the same ability to choose the same investment options.
Plus, your money is going to the gov't to finance their needs and uses.
Since the gov't can not create wealth, you are subsidizing them.

If you are saying the tax burden is unfairly and unevenly spread across the tax groups
then I am with you.

Sure, and you can also choose to earn an income low enough to get government tax credits.

That doesn't change the fact that the mortgage deduction is a government subsidy....it is the government "rewarding" you for acting in a certain manner.

Well it doesn't change it in your mind, rewarding is not a subsidy.
What is the gov't "rewarding" in Section 8- being poor
:eusa_whistle:

Again

Actually no. With a interest mortgage deduction, one can afford the payment on their own earnings and they are getting a reduction in tax to gov't.

In a program like say Section 8, Belmont etc, the person can not afford the payment at all and could never live there on their own income. The gov't gives them money beyond their earnings - a subsidy

Take away the interest deduction, the person can still live there
Take away the subsidy, the person can not because it is beyond their means at that point in time.

The true subsidy here is from the taxpayer to the gov't. Taxpayers are subsidizing the gov't, since the gov't can not create wealth
Liberals always seem to forget that point-

Funny how that works.......

--------

But if you want to equate the two- go for it
In fact, the Left should run with that....
Tell the taxpayers with homes they are just like people with actual subsidized housing

Last edited:
That's pretty funny.

But how are tax breaks not government bennies? People that own their homes can pay less in taxes than people that don't.

Do you deduct your state income and sales tax from your federal taxes? Do you really think you should have to pay taxes on taxes?
Where did I say that?

Right here.

That's pretty funny.

But how are tax breaks not government bennies? People that own their homes can pay less in taxes than people that don't.

Tax deductions for state and local taxes are, by your definition, government bennies. That means you think people should be taxed on taxes.

By the way, one reason rich people generally pay a smaller percentage of their income on federal taxes is because the state and local taxes on that same income is generally higher, and they have lawyers and accountants that point out that they do not have to pay taxes on money that other taxing authorities take away from them.

Deductions are not government bennies. They come from money that you would have normally owed the government. If you want to argue that some of them are unfair use of the tax code to promote social engineering I will be right there with you. Hell, if you just want to say some of them are blatantly discriminatory I will cheer you on.

Tax credits are bennies because they use other people's money to pay you to do things the government likes. Tax credits should all be eliminated, so should subsides. That does cause a small problem because there are things I think the government should do that currently can only be done with government bennies, but I never claimed to have all the answers.

Tax deductions for state and local taxes are, by your definition, government bennies. That means you think people should be taxed on taxes.

That wouldn't be 'taxing on taxes', it would simply be two different taxes - one to the state, and one to the feds. And it would amount to a subsidy. Look at this way. Why should someone get a larger break on their federal taxes because they choose to live in a state with higher taxes? Presumably, they're getting something for the higher state tax rate, and we're asking people from states with lower tax rates to pick up the slack. Sounds like a subsidy to me.

By the way, one reason rich people generally pay a smaller percentage of their income on federal taxes is because the state and local taxes on that same income is generally higher, and they have lawyers and accountants that point out that they do not have to pay taxes on money that other taxing authorities take away from them.

Exactly

I'd argue that tax breaks aren't government benefits, but there is certainly enough on this list to show that a significant number of recipients of government funds don't know they receive government funds.

Cornell Chronicle: Recipients of federal aid say they're not

We are definitely seeing that here in Florida, where current Governor Rick Scott is polling at all time lows of 29%. Yet Scott is doing exactly what he said he'd do and nothing more.

Just a note

If tax credits are fully refundable, past the point of zero and still refundable, then yes

If tax credits take tax liability to zero but not lower and not refundable- then no

Did you know that even the Earned Income Credit has a limit.
The IRS will compute against your payroll taxes (SS, Medicare) and can not be more than those totals.

In effect, the worse the Gov't can do then is have a zero cash flow with an individual on their taxes.

I think you need to reform your definition of tax credits.

If you get back more than you pay it is a credit. The Earned Income Credit is a credit. SS and Medicare only impact the EIC in your head. You can get up to $5,666 with an income of only $12,550 (3 or more children) which is 45% of your income. I could be way off base here, but I am pretty sure that payroll, SS, and Medicare do not add up to 45% of anyone's income.

I'd just like to state it simply; if a person/family whomever pays zero net fed. taxes after their tax table calculations, then due to whatever/how you care to classify or name it, money is sent back to them, there-by returning their contributions whole or in part to their SS and medicare pool, it is pure madness, period.

Isn't a tax deduction on dependents a government handout to people who breed?

Do you deduct your state income and sales tax from your federal taxes? Do you really think you should have to pay taxes on taxes?
Where did I say that?

Right here.

That's pretty funny.

Deductions are not government bennies. They come from money that you would have normally owed the government. If you want to argue that some of them are unfair use of the tax code to promote social engineering I will be right there with you. Hell, if you just want to say some of them are blatantly discriminatory I will cheer you on.

Tax credits are bennies because they use other people's money to pay you to do things the government likes. Tax credits should all be eliminated, so should subsides. That does cause a small problem because there are things I think the government should do that currently can only be done with government bennies, but I never claimed to have all the answers.

In my opinion those aren't tax breaks.

Nice try.

That wouldn't be 'taxing on taxes', it would simply be two different taxes - one to the state, and one to the feds. And it would amount to a subsidy. Look at this way. Why should someone get a larger break on their federal taxes because they choose to live in a state with higher taxes? Presumably, they're getting something for the higher state tax rate, and we're asking people from states with lower tax rates to pick up the slack. Sounds like a subsidy to me.

Exactly

Heh, good point!

You convinced me that the ability to write off state and local taxes is a federal subsidy.

Subsidies are the government paying you out of someone else's money. Adjusted gross income is figured by deducting allowed expenses before figuring taxes.

To simplify it to the point of being ridiculous, deductions happen before taxes are applied, credits are after taxes are applied. One results in less taxes owed the government, and the other results in the government owing you money.

Why should someone who pays 90% on income at a local level have to cough up another 35% to the federal government? How are they supposed to pay 125% in taxes in the first place?

That is why I say that people would end up paying taxes on taxes. It is hyperbole, but it actually makes a point. The theory behind reducing federal taxes is that the government, in its entirety, is only supposed to get so much money from a single person. Local government supplies local needs, state government provides higher level needs, and the federal government supplies more.

It doesn't work that way in practice, because federal monies go back to state and local needs, but the theory is still sound. Getting a lower federal rate should mean that fewer federal funds go to those localities, but that is, again, not what really happens.

The answer to this is not to eliminate the deduction for local taxes, it is to fix the tax code and reform spending at the federal level so it goes to federal needs.

Forum List

Back