Mandatory military service: Would it make a difference?

sfcalifornia

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2011
One thing we can all agree on: The current state of affairs regarding guns in this country isn't working.

We are in drastic times; something drastic needs to change.

So far we've been concentrating on restricting the quantity and/or quality of guns we citizens should be able to possess. Here and there we bring up weeding out those with mental problems as a solution.

I never thought I'd be advocating mandatory military service as a method to affect the intrinsic problem of our gun-violent society but there are compelling arguments to do just that.

If you look at developed countries around the world which require mandatory military service from it's citizens coupled with sensible gun control laws, they seem to fair far better with their rate of gun violence than our country.

Would mandatory military service also be a good way for society to weed out those with mental problems and those with anger management issues?

Just wondering.

Weed out those with mental problems? That is a small percentage of the gun crime.

Why don't you Leftists ever come up with a plan to stop that majority of all gun murders which are committed by black men - who are just 6% of the population?

No, it would just teach them to kill people more efficiently, going to have a big problem with angry, mentally damaged war veterans for a long time to come, that is absolutely the wrong direction to take.

Weed out those with mental problems? That is a small percentage of the gun crime.

Why don't you Leftists ever come up with a plan to stop that majority of all gun murders which are committed by black men - who are just 6% of the population?

Can't you read?

I said: Would military service also weed out the mentally ill, meaning maybe military service would help solve a whole host of problems, including the gun murders committed by black men.

I think it might help, particularly since we do not have any other "rite of passage" in many segments of our society. Black men have served their country very well in the military, and have learned valuable skills while doing so.

Can't you read?

I said: Would military service also weed out the mentally ill, meaning maybe military service would help solve a whole host of problems, including the gun murders committed by black men.

The military is not the answer to any problem we face in this area, for every person that adapts and thrives in a military environment there are more who take on enough emotional baggage to negatively effect the rest of their lives. I came out with more hate and aggression than I ever knew existed.

Can't you read?

The military is not the answer to any problem we face in this area, for every person that adapts and thrives in a military environment there are more who take on enough emotional baggage to negatively effect the rest of their lives. I came out with more hate and aggression than I ever knew existed.

That explains why you shit on police cars.

One thing we can all agree on: The current state of affairs regarding guns in this country isn't working.

We are in drastic times; something drastic needs to change.

So far we've been concentrating on restricting the quantity and/or quality of guns we citizens should be able to possess. Here and there we bring up weeding out those with mental problems as a solution.

I never thought I'd be advocating mandatory military service as a method to affect the intrinsic problem of our gun-violent society but there are compelling arguments to do just that.

If you look at developed countries around the world which require mandatory military service from it's citizens coupled with sensible gun control laws, they seem to fair far better with their rate of gun violence than our country.

Would mandatory military service also be a good way for society to weed out those with mental problems and those with anger management issues?

Just wondering.

It would adequately meet the "well regulated militia" stipulation. Then again, so does the National Guard. Perhaps participation in the guard should be a prerequisite to ownership of certain types of weapons?

There is a difference between military service and being placed in a hostile fire environment. The latter obviously requires greater selectivity, training and support.

Can't you read?

If nothing else everyone would have better training and be comfortable with guns and more people would carry on a regular basis making society safer. It might work.

Can't you read?

What is the explanation for your incredible level of blind rage and pointless aggression? Someone as angry as you probably shouldn't have guns, you might run amok one day if the Internet goes down or your soaps get canceled.

I think it might help, particularly since we do not have any other "rite of passage" in many segments of our society. Black men have served their country very well in the military, and have learned valuable skills while doing so.
Agreed. It might help those who can handle a bit of discipline. But it wouldn't help the hopeless.

Agreed. It might help those who can handle a bit of discipline. But it wouldn't help the hopeless.

Those that carry will deal with the hopeless.

The "hopeless" are more often the institutionalized soldier who cannot adjust to civilian life than the person who cannot adjust to such an unnatural way of living as the military.

Oh My Gosh!

How SHOCKING! You have SHOCKED everyone! What a SHOCKING thing to say!

We are all SHOCKED by what you wrote!

'Zat the reaction you were goin' for, jerkoff?

Solve poverty, and you solve crime.

What's the percentage of black people for those who have gone on shooting rampages in schools and malls and universities?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back