Mandatory military service: Would it make a difference?

No, it would just teach them to kill people more efficiently, going to have a big problem with angry, mentally damaged war veterans for a long time to come, that is absolutely the wrong direction to take.

The reason those vets are damaged is because they have done more tours of duty in combat than probably any vets in our history. At least since WWII.

Would mandatory military service also be a good way for society to weed out those with mental problems and those with anger management issues?

Just wondering.

Maybe.

We surely would get involved in a helluva-lot-FEWER-WARS, as well!!!!

One thing we can all agree on: The current state of affairs regarding guns in this country isn't working.

We are in drastic times; something drastic needs to change.

So far we've been concentrating on restricting the quantity and/or quality of guns we citizens should be able to possess. Here and there we bring up weeding out those with mental problems as a solution.

I never thought I'd be advocating mandatory military service as a method to affect the intrinsic problem of our gun-violent society but there are compelling arguments to do just that.

If you look at developed countries around the world which require mandatory military service from it's citizens coupled with sensible gun control laws, they seem to fair far better with their rate of gun violence than our country.

Would mandatory military service also be a good way for society to weed out those with mental problems and those with anger management issues?

Just wondering.

Why isn't it working?
How many licensed, sane, plain citizens have been involved in school massacres last 10 years?

One thing we can all agree on: The current state of affairs regarding guns in this country isn't working.

So far we've been concentrating on restricting the quantity and/or quality of guns we citizens should be able to possess. Here and there we bring up weeding out those with mental problems as a solution.

I never thought I'd be advocating mandatory military service as a method to affect the intrinsic problem of our gun-violent society but there are compelling arguments to do just that.

If you look at developed countries around the world which require mandatory military service from it's citizens coupled with sensible gun control laws, they seem to fair far better with their rate of gun violence than our country.

Just wondering.

I was a product of the "draft". Grew up in that era. I joined (voluntarily) to serve in Vietnam. My opinion of the draft is that it was good idea, IS a good idea, and should be reinstated. Why? Simple. Young men who were drafted went because it was their civic and patriotic duty to a country that gave them the opportunity to grow up in a country of opportunity. Nearly all of my High School buddies were either drafted, or joined willingly to serve their country.

Again, in those days in was looked at as a duty for your country. You know, back in the "dark ages" when folks actually gave a damn about their country.

Service for 2 years as a 18 or 19 year old kid is nothing and, as a result, molds those young men into "generally" responsible citizens who went on to lead productive lives. Although, unfortunately, several of those names on the "Wall" belong to very good friends of mine. Still, I knew those guys, and not one would have done it any differently. Not one.

Fast forward to 2012. We have members of a generation of "men" in this country whom, I fear, would run, rather than serve an obligatory 2 years in the Military. These are the cowards that have been raised in this environment. I hate to be blunt, but there is no other answer. Not like the young men and women who have voluntarily put on the uniform and done what their country has asked them to do, but chosen, instead to "intellectualize" America's involvement in a war they have decided is "immoral". Just like their fathers before them, no doubt.

There will always be a segment of ANY society that runs and hides when there is a fight. There are, on the other hand, those like my best friend, who, after graduating from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, joined the Chaplain Corps and was killed in Vietnam while ministering to wounded GIs.

I say bring BACK the draft.

Just wondering.

It would adequately meet the "well regulated militia" stipulation. Then again, so does the National Guard. Perhaps participation in the guard should be a prerequisite to ownership of certain types of weapons?

A very good point.

Maybe even a stint in the (ironically) Peace Corp.... not so much to teach them proper use of weapons but to teach young adults entering the world on their own a little bit about the sense of community, keeping them off the streets during a time when they are most vulnerable and prone to turning to a life of crime, giving them a little self-confidence and maybe giving them a purpose in life.

Weed out those with mental problems? That is a small percentage of the gun crime.

Why don't you Leftists ever come up with a plan to stop that majority of all gun murders which are committed by black men - who are just 6% of the population?

Can't you read?

I said: Would military service also weed out the mentally ill, meaning maybe military service would help solve a whole host of problems......
Yeah.....we've done......

....such a great-job....

US-marines-pose-with-neo--008.jpg

....so FAR!!!!!

Last edited:
I can't believe anyone would advocate bringing the draft back for what ever reason.

Just wondering.

I was a product of the "draft". Grew up in that era. I joined (voluntarily) to serve in Vietnam. My opinion of the draft is that it was good idea, IS a good idea, and should be reinstated. Why? Simple. Young men who were drafted went because it was their civic and patriotic duty to a country that gave them the opportunity to grow up in a country of opportunity. Nearly all of my High School buddies were either drafted, or joined willingly to serve their country.

Again, in those days in was looked at as a duty for your country. You know, back in the "dark ages" when folks actually gave a damn about their country.

Service for 2 years as a 18 or 19 year old kid is nothing and, as a result, molds those young men into "generally" responsible citizens who went on to lead productive lives. Although, unfortunately, several of those names on the "Wall" belong to very good friends of mine. Still, I knew those guys, and not one would have done it any differently. Not one.

Fast forward to 2012. We have members of a generation of "men" in this country whom, I fear, would run, rather than serve an obligatory 2 years in the Military. These are the cowards that have been raised in this environment. I hate to be blunt, but there is no other answer. Not like the young men and women who have voluntarily put on the uniform and done what their country has asked them to do, but chosen, instead to "intellectualize" America's involvement in a war they have decided is "immoral". Just like their fathers before them, no doubt.

There will always be a segment of ANY society that runs and hides when there is a fight. There are, on the other hand, those like my best friend, who, after graduating from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, joined the Chaplain Corps and was killed in Vietnam while ministering to wounded GIs.

Both of my sons and my daughter would disagree. You arrogant fuck. They would fight.....and with every last breath....if the fight was just.

Apparently to the Homeland Securtiy, or at least the Obama part the answer is no. No because veterans, according to the Obama administration, are a risk.

Just wondering.

Both of my sons and my daughter would disagree. You arrogant fuck. They would fight.....and with every last breath....if the fight was just.

Uh-huh...right. Once THEY decided what was right. You tell 'em!!

Just wondering.

I was a product of the "draft". Grew up in that era. I joined (voluntarily) to serve in Vietnam. My opinion of the draft is that it was good idea, IS a good idea, and should be reinstated. Why? Simple. Young men who were drafted went because it was their civic and patriotic duty to a country that gave them the opportunity to grow up in a country of opportunity.

handjob.gif

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.......

Just wondering.

I was a product of the "draft". Grew up in that era. I joined (voluntarily) to serve in Vietnam. My opinion of the draft is that it was good idea, IS a good idea, and should be reinstated. Why? Simple. Young men who were drafted went because it was their civic and patriotic duty to a country that gave them the opportunity to grow up in a country of opportunity.

handjob.gif

Apparently, like the other fellow, I hit a raw nerve?? Well, good for you guys. You just sit back in your comfy chairs and let everyone do the fighting for you...and, one day, perhaps you'll have the "intestinal fortitude" to make the decisions on what is just, and unjust. Cowards.

The last war that was fought with Draftees was Vietnam. Now that was a popular war. [Sarcasm OFF]

Now you fools want to restock the army so they can continue their adventures in the Mid East?
Where both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are even less popular that Vietnam, you really do want to see America divided and go up in flames.

handjob.gif

Apparently, like the other fellow, I hit a raw nerve?? Well, good for you guys. You just sit back in your comfy chairs and let everyone do the fighting for you...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFGit_tZDqs]Generation Chickenhawk: With The College Republicans - YouTube[/ame]

tumblr_mcatezzMkl1qzy8r9.jpg

Ya' see any combat-vets, HERE??!!!!

Having nothing to do with gun crime. This pussy generation could use with a good whipping into shape. I have always advocated compulsory service.

Forum List

Back