Mandatory military service: Would it make a difference?

Having nothing to do with gun crime. This pussy generation could use with a good whipping into shape. I have always advocated compulsory service.

It surely would make a lot more PARENTS think twice about goin'-to-WAR!!!!

Just want to know if all you tough guys that are advocating bringing back the draft, what branch of the military were you in? and if you were drafted?

Last edited:
One thing we can all agree on: The current state of affairs regarding guns in this country isn't working.

We are in drastic times; something drastic needs to change.

So far we've been concentrating on restricting the quantity and/or quality of guns we citizens should be able to possess. Here and there we bring up weeding out those with mental problems as a solution.

I never thought I'd be advocating mandatory military service as a method to affect the intrinsic problem of our gun-violent society but there are compelling arguments to do just that.

If you look at developed countries around the world which require mandatory military service from it's citizens coupled with sensible gun control laws, they seem to fair far better with their rate of gun violence than our country.

Would mandatory military service also be a good way for society to weed out those with mental problems and those with anger management issues?

Just wondering.

How tyrannical of you.

I think there's a direct correlation with this country going to hell politically and the end of the mandatory draft. If people were forced to serve their country, they'd be much more involved in the political process and it would be impossible for politicians to sneak this country into shitty pointless affairs. I really Israel's system where every member of their youth have to give some time to their country. Personally, I would like to see the same thing in our country except instead of just the armed services, if we could have a civil service that builds and repairs infrastructure and serves the community, that would make our society explode with prosperity and understanding.

Agreed. It might help those who can handle a bit of discipline. But it wouldn't help the hopeless.

Those that carry will deal with the hopeless.

The "hopeless" are more often the institutionalized soldier who cannot adjust to civilian life than the person who cannot adjust to such an unnatural way of living as the military.

If you hate the military so much, then you should have never joined the service. I find it pathetic that you blame the military environment for your personal shortcomings. People who don't like discipline and are expected to actually do their job instead of sitting on their asses playing video games all day often find the military too "taxing" and offensive to their sensibilities. Thank God you're not in the military anymore.....you'd put your entire squad at risk.

Apparently to the Homeland Securtiy, or at least the Obama part the answer is no. No because veterans, according to the Obama administration, are a risk.

Nope. The Obama administration has donev great job dealing with Veteran's issues. You fail.

obama has done a terrible job dealing with vet issues, active duty service member issues, and military issues in general, you dick.

Apparently to the Homeland Securtiy, or at least the Obama part the answer is no. No because veterans, according to the Obama administration, are a risk.

Nope. The Obama administration has donev great job dealing with Veteran's issues. You fail.

obama has done a terrible job dealing with vet issues, active duty service member issues, and military issues in general, you dick.

Bullshit, the VA and care for veterans have improved substantially under Obama. I know quite a few veterans who rave about how much better their care and the system has gotten under Obama. You can make up all sorts of bullshit and hate the President as much as you want, but you're lying about this.

One thing we can all agree on: The current state of affairs regarding guns in this country isn't working.

We are in drastic times; something drastic needs to change.

So far we've been concentrating on restricting the quantity and/or quality of guns we citizens should be able to possess. Here and there we bring up weeding out those with mental problems as a solution.

I never thought I'd be advocating mandatory military service as a method to affect the intrinsic problem of our gun-violent society but there are compelling arguments to do just that.

If you look at developed countries around the world which require mandatory military service from it's citizens coupled with sensible gun control laws, they seem to fair far better with their rate of gun violence than our country.

Would mandatory military service also be a good way for society to weed out those with mental problems and those with anger management issues?

Just wondering.

I was a product of the "draft". Grew up in that era. I joined (voluntarily) to serve in Vietnam. My opinion of the draft is that it was good idea, IS a good idea, and should be reinstated. Why? Simple. Young men who were drafted went because it was their civic and patriotic duty to a country that gave them the opportunity to grow up in a country of opportunity.

handjob.gif

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.......

You idiot liberals have no idea what the true meaning of love of country actually is, unless you're able to take a piss on a police car or rape women while illegally camping out to "protest" what you think is your right to have someone else pay your college expenses. Grow the fuck up.

I was a product of the "draft". Grew up in that era. I joined (voluntarily) to serve in Vietnam. My opinion of the draft is that it was good idea, IS a good idea, and should be reinstated. Why? Simple. Young men who were drafted went because it was their civic and patriotic duty to a country that gave them the opportunity to grow up in a country of opportunity.

handjob.gif

You idiot liberals have no idea what the true meaning of love of country actually is, unless you're able to take a piss on a police car or rape women while illegally camping out to "protest" what you think is your right to have someone else pay your college expenses. Grow the fuck up.

Oh... this bitch is crazy. Well, carry on.

The last war that was fought with Draftees was Vietnam. Now that was a popular war. [Sarcasm OFF]

Now you fools want to restock the army so they can continue their adventures in the Mid East?
Where both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are even less popular that Vietnam, you really do want to see America divided and go up in flames.

You liberals are the ones dividing America....you attempt to spread as much hate and propaganda as you can, while pointing the finger in the opposite direction. The wars in Iraq/Afghan were popular with most everyone until politicians who, for solely political purposes, decided that the war wasn't convenient to their re-election campaigns and decided to throw out a bunch of bs to make the war......one that they actually voted for and wanted to take part in, by the way.....look like an "unjust" war by a "corrupt" president Bush. It's utterly amazing what you liberals are so willing to forget when it doesn't suit your political purposes.

handjob.gif

Say what you want, but the fact is that occupier types love to take a dump on America while smoking their weed and raping women trying to get everyone else to pay for their college educations. Liberals just don't like having those nasty little facts put in their faces.

Bullshit, the VA and care for veterans have improved substantially under Obama. I know quite a few veterans who rave about how much better their care and the system has gotten under Obama. You can make up all sorts of bullshit and hate the President as much as you want, but you're lying about this.

Actually, not bullshit. Care for vets has done nothing but get worse while obama has been president and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Your "few veterans" that you mention are dwarfed by several hundred thousand vets who get shitty to no care at all by the VA system, or get the wrong care and end up worse than they were before. Also, there are thousands who have been waiting for their disability claims to be processed for at least two years....and still nothing is done. Wasn't obama supposed to take care of all that shit, too?? If anyone is lying, it is YOU. And you know it.

Say what you want, but the fact is that occupier types love to take a dump on America while smoking their weed and raping women trying to get everyone else to pay for their college educations. Liberals just don't like having those nasty little facts put in their faces.

Actually, not bullshit. Care for vets has done nothing but get worse while obama has been president and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Your "few veterans" that you mention are dwarfed by several hundred thousand vets who get shitty to no care at all by the VA system, or get the wrong care and end up worse than they were before. Also, there are thousands who have been waiting for their disability claims to be processed for at least two years....and still nothing is done. Wasn't obama supposed to take care of all that shit, too?? If anyone is lying, it is YOU. And you know it.

Yup... my statement still stands.

The military should not be the dumping ground for society. The military can't afford to babysit people in it that don't want to serve in the military....see the draft and Vietnam.

Many of the drug addicts and murderers in Vietnam were draftees that had no business being in the military. They would shoot other Americans in the back when given the chance out in the field if they didn't like them or they were in trouble for something.

The Lt is going to bring charges against you for drugs in the field....shoot him on the battlefield was their reaction.

Yup... my statement still stands.

As does mine......

The wars in Iraq/Afghan were popular with most everyone until politicians who, for solely political purposes, decided that the war wasn't convenient to their re-election campaigns

Iraq/Afghan were popular what 10 years ago when they started but those wars that last over a decade can be quite drag on a politician's re-election campaigns

The military is not the answer to any problem we face in this area, for every person that adapts and thrives in a military environment there are more who take on enough emotional baggage to negatively effect the rest of their lives. I came out with more hate and aggression than I ever knew existed.

That explains why you shit on police cars.

If nothing else everyone would have better training and be comfortable with guns and more people would carry on a regular basis making society safer. It might work.
I gave the Navy a couple of years of my life 40 years ago, and it has worked out well for me now, because of the health care benefits I am now utilizing. I get treatment and medicines for medical problems that are not service connected.

Last edited:
We graduated 80, out of 120, in my boot camp platoon USMC. Some sort of service would give a since of unity as Americans, but many would not cut military service. The last thing the left wants is patriots - they would never go for it.

The wars in Iraq/Afghan were popular with most everyone until politicians who, for solely political purposes, decided that the war wasn't convenient to their re-election campaigns

Iraq/Afghan were popular what 10 years ago when they started but those wars that last over a decade can be quite drag on a politician's re-election campaigns

Very true, but anyone who really thought that these wars were going to be over in a couple of years were only kidding themselves. I understand that wars lasting 8-10 years, or more, can drain a lot of political "willingness" to finish the job, but finishing the job iin the right way is the right thing to do. To just pull out of the war in a risky way or institute ridiculous ROE because the war has become a political football creates an inordinate amount of problems for those on the battlefield, as well as those coming home from the front. If DC would just allow the generals to take care of the fight rather than allowing politicians to tell the military what to do, we'd have won the war......and likely have been out of there years ago.

Forum List

Back