Man may lose house over unmowed lawn

The old man can fight it on the 4th amendment, article VIII over excessive/unusual penalties/punishments for a crime.

Yep, some cities and HOA’s can be absolutely ridiculous. And the people they use to enforce their codes walk around with measuring sticks and get a thrill when they find one too long. Their lives seem to be pathetic. Some HOA’s won’t allow you to paint your house unless they approve the color beforehand.
More reasonable than charging $500 a day

The guy had a legitimate reason for not being able to mow his lawn
No way the town is affected $500 a day when they could have had it mowed for $50

Excessive punishment

The Land of the Free. Woe to you if you don't mow your lawn. The authorities crack down on you. Hard.

What business do the goofs have whether or not that lawn is mowed? Them 'Merkuns sure love their overbearing, intrusive gubmint, don't they?

The old man can fight it on the 4th amendment, article VIII over excessive/unusual penalties/punishments for a crime.
8th amendment

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

here its desert scapes.....
With gallons of Roundup to kill the weeds....... :eusa_whistle:
no more weeds than what shows up on grass lawns...they are easy to contend with...
That was a joke son...... :D I live in the southwest also.
MIB is a great place....
cool-rocker-smiley-emoticon.png

no more weeds than what shows up on grass lawns...they are easy to contend with...
MIB is a great place....
Yeah it's okay but we're moving back to Duke city, back to civilization....... :D

MIB is a great place....
Yeah it's okay but we're moving back to Duke city, back to civilization....... :D
Had enough of the dirt?

MIB is a great place....
nothing wrong with civilization.....

MIB is a great place....
Had enough of the dirt?
No, had enough of the 3+ hour one way trips for the wife's chemo. Besides, we like lots of amenities, amenities that just aren't all that available here even with the strong alien presence........

MIB is a great place....

In the 505 they just panhandle at major intersections wearing designer clothes, expensive sneakers and iPhones........

MIB is a great place....

In the 505 they just panhandle at major intersections wearing designer clothes, expensive sneakers and iPhones........
they need the phones to see how their companions are doing at the other intersections....

I can see how this happened. In my area some of the towns run their own little kangaroo courts. Actual legal service is not required, only a mailed notice to appear and/or to pay a ticket.

So, they likely ticketed him, he didn't pay, he had a court date, which he missed because he didn't know about any of it, and they simply don't give a shit, even if it is their error or something like this, so they just kept right on piling up the fees.

He'll have to get an attorney and sue to settle.

Polland - Why Mow?: "Lawns are nature purged of sex and death. No wonder Americans like them so much."

Or rather, lawns are nature purged of nature, and yet another way of rigorously, at times even brutally enforced conformity. No wonder Americans like them so much.

Except that it's a civil matter. The good old back door to escape the normal restrictions that ought to apply.

A Florida man went to South Carolina to take care of his mother’s estate after she died. He arranged for a neighbor to mow his lawn in the two months he was away.
Unfortunately, the neighbor also died and the lawn went unmowed.

The city charged him $500 for every day his lawn was unmowed
When he returned home he found his lawn overgrown and a $30,000 fine from the city.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...re-fine/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7e10070147ce
What we need is more government.

Cracks me up at the daily whining about government from the we need more government gang.

Everyone goes into the situation knowing the HOA rules.
While I think the HOA should work with the guy considering the circumstances the HOA does serve a valuable purpose.
I dont want to drop a sizable amount of money on a home only to have the neighbors paint their house pink and throw crazy parties.

Here, you get 4 weeks, then the town cuts it and charges you $500.

Which, while a bit intrusive isn't the same as the HOA trying to foreclose on the guys house to get the fine $$ paid.

HOA's, similar to condo/co-op boards, are the very definition of the tyranny of petty authority.
They're the real fascists.

And I'm only half joking. I hate HOAs!

Forum List

Back