Man Forbidden From Flying U.s. Flag On His Balcony Because It Could 'offend Foreign People'

Luckily San Diego has a HUGE military and ex-military population. It was easy for the apartment management to quickly understand what problems might arise from their refusal to allow flags to be flown.

But this stuff also happens in locales where the final decision may come down on the side of the foreigners.

We have entered a new phase in America.

Life will no longer be as it was.

We have entered an entirely new world.

And all I can say is that we have lost the safety of two oceans.

The enemy is now within the wire.
Actually, we had this issue at our HOA but it was QUICKLY brought to their attention that there are laws in place (damn big government) that prevent HOAs from forbidding the American Flag from being flown.

It seems that folks that manage apartment complex were mistaken when they told him take the flags down.

This article provides a little more detail:

College student told to remove American flag from apartment balcony - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

The owners just got some common sense. The managment wasnt wrong. They even say that the owners are changing the rule.

She said there was a "misunderstanding" between the tenant and the community managers and the rules will be changed.

They've apparently backed down, but it's the idea that they would have a problem with the American flag in the first place is what's ridiculous.
But no surprise, we've come to expect this sort of thing now.

Brad Smith, a student at San Diego State University and a tenant of Boulevard 63 Apartments, said apartment complex managers told him to remove the American flag he was displaying on his apartment's balcony because it "could offend foreign people."
Smith said that when he asked management about the notice he received ordering him to remove the flag, they reportedly told him "it was for political reasons and that the flag could offend foreign people that live here, foreign exchange students."
ABC News' investigation revealed that the rules of Smith's lease prohibit signs or other personal property from being kept outside the premises, and that management determines what is "permissible and acceptable."
But Smith asserts this is not the explanation he was given.
"This was never brought to my attention," Smith said. "I've had friends and family fight to defend that flag."
The apartment complex called the incident a "misunderstanding," and has since amended its rules to permit the display of state and country flags.
--Teresa Mull

Man forbidden from flying U.S. flag on his balcony because it could offend foreign people - The Week
Id display the flag anyway. Civil disobedience is a God given right.
If the foreigners don't like it, they may have a one way ticket back to where it is they came.

Is there any evidence beyond his word that the reason they said not to fly the flag was as he claimed....as opposed to the apartment rules already in place?

Don't know, but it fit's the narrative of America 2014, so I for one believe the guy.

Even though the article states he was breaking a rule?

If he signed a lease or was told of the rule, he agreed to abide by it and then broke that rule.

You fools get so frikken hysterical over the dumbest things and you ALWAYS take the wrong side.

I agree he should be able to fly the US flag but he should have abided by the rules, as he previously agreed to..
The complex has no legal standing on which to write such a rule.
THAT is the point.

It seems that folks that manage apartment complex were mistaken when they told him take the flags down.

This article provides a little more detail:

College student told to remove American flag from apartment balcony - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
meh. i don't know that they were mistaken, the rule is there. they just don't typically enforce it for state and national flags.

The rules never stated that flags couldn't displayed from the balcony. It stated jazz about personal belongings and banners.

Melanie Flaherty, the vice president of marketing for Carmel Partners, said, "We allow state and country flags." It seems the manager of the complex didn't fully understand the rules and made an overzealous decision.

Is there any evidence beyond his word that the reason they said not to fly the flag was as he claimed....as opposed to the apartment rules already in place?

Don't know, but it fit's the narrative of America 2014, so I for one believe the guy.

Even though the article states he was breaking a rule?

If he signed a lease or was told of the rule, he agreed to abide by it and then broke that rule.

You fools get so frikken hysterical over the dumbest things and you ALWAYS take the wrong side.

I agree he should be able to fly the US flag but he should have abided by the rules, as he previously agreed to..

You shouldn't have to give up your first amendment right for anyone or anything.

They told him he couldn't fly the flag and then they told him he could

Who cares?
Nitwits on the right such as the OP who seek to contrive every non-issue into some sort of 'controversy.'

It's yet another example of the moronic conservative 'gloom and doom' misery offensive.

Blow me.

Anyway, the good thing here is it's good to see that it's not just the left that can get their way when you raise a stink.
It's time the right stopped always turning the cheek. Time, we said we're not going to always stay silent and go along with the program.
This story itself is more about the house rules, and there's no problem with that. The equation changed though once the management claimed the man couldn't display his countries flag, because it might offend those from other countries.
It then becomes a big "fuck you" if they get offended they can look the other way, or go home.

Forum List

Back