Making things in America Again

Sep 16, 2018
Because of all of the vitiole out there, I guess I have to state that I didn't vote for Trump and don't agree with most of his ideas. But i have always felt that hearing Trump out on trade isn't a bad idea. Because of his taxes on steel imports, US steel manufacturers are increasing production in our country as opposed to importing steel from Canada or China.

Most media will not report that because, of course, everything Donald Trump says and does is wrong, a terrible, stupid idea that will send us into a new dark age. And they have their paid talking heads lined up to say just that.

But I would like to give him some benefit of the doubt that this is what Make America Great Again was about all along - returning to a time when we actually made things here in this country. Of course the other side has been screaming for 2 years that it's about "Making America White Again."

I wish level heads were able to speak in these disfunctional times. For some reason, Trump's bombastic style made everyone think they had license to be just as outrageous. Yes we do have freedom of speech, but we also have the freedom to not be just as obnoxious as the president can be. Remember folks, he was an entertainer, paid to be a loudmouth - we're not.

Last edited:
Sadly American steel is very high in sulfur so it is not a good steel to use.

Because of all of the vitiole out there, I guess I have to state that I didn't vote for Trump and don't agree with most of his ideas. But i have always felt that hearing Trump out on trade isn't a bad idea. Because of his taxes on steel imports, US steel manufacturers are increasing production in our country as opposed to importing steel from Canada or China.

Most media will not report that because, of course, everything Donald Trump says and does is wrong, a terrible, stupid idea that will send us into a new dark age.

But I would like to give him some benefit of the doubt that this is what Make America Great Again was about all along - returning to a time when we actually made things here in this country. Of course the other side has been screaming for 2 years that it's about "Making America White Again."

I wish level heads were able to speak in these disfunctional times. For some reason, Trump's bombastic style made everyone think they had license to be just as outrageous. Yes we do have freedom of speech, but we also have the freedom to not be outraged at everything the president says.

Things are really not as dire as Trump tells people.

Think nothing is made in America? Output has doubled in three decades

upload_2018-9-16_19-31-57.png

upload_2018-9-16_19-34-0.png

good steel bad steel , i don't know . I heard TRUMP or another high ranking talker say that when it comes to steel and aluminum we need Good steel and aluminum for WAR Fighting and i agree with that . Why would the USA want to rely on foreign sources for WAR Fighting Steel , aluminum and other materials even if the source a supposedly friendly nation eh ?? I am only concerned with strategic type steel and aluminum used in Fighting War . Steel for pipes , pots and pans or bicycle frames , get it wherever you want .

Most media will not report that because, of course, everything Donald Trump says and does is wrong, a terrible, stupid idea that will send us into a new dark age. And they have their paid talking heads lined up to say just that.

I wish level heads were able to speak in these disfunctional times. For some reason, Trump's bombastic style made everyone think they had license to be just as outrageous. Yes we do have freedom of speech, but we also have the freedom to not be just as obnoxious as the president can be. Remember folks, he was an entertainer, paid to be a loudmouth - we're not.
The fact remains that Trump is unfit to be president, and otherwise wrong on most of the issues – including trade.

In a modern, 21st Century global economy, Trump’s 18th Century tactics of adversarial tariffs and conflict are sure to fail, and likely cause irreparable damage.

And the tragic fact is that the ‘making things in America again’ ship sailed long ago, too much time has passed to reconfigure the American economy into something similar to that of the German economy.

Indeed, any good faith effort toward ‘making things in America again’ would require a considerable investment in education and training programs to prepare American workers to participate in such an economy, where American goods are the most expensive in the world, and sought after because they’re the best, regardless of cost, with American workers benefiting accordingly.

But conservatives, Republicans, and Trump in particular are loathe to make the necessary investments in education and training programs needed to create a true world-class economy.

It's my understanding that steel is made
good steel bad steel , i don't know . I heard TRUMP or another high ranking talker say that when it comes to steel and aluminum we need Good steel and aluminum for WAR Fighting and i agree with that . Why would the USA want to rely on foreign sources for WAR Fighting Steel , aluminum and other materials even if the source a supposedly friendly nation eh ?? I am only concerned with strategic type steel and aluminum used in Fighting War . Steel for pipes , pots and pans or bicycle frames , get it wherever you want .
I think this output probably refers to war manufacturing as that accounts for about 40 percent of our GDP. I was speaking to the trend in manufacturing since WWII, not just the last few years, though. The mid 20th century ouput will never be matched. I didn't mention NAFTA and other trade deals, but they should be renegotiated as Trump says.

And this illustrates another aspect of the issue where Trump is wrong.

Trump is trying to save jobs of the 18th and 19th Centuries that are frankly no longer viable; Americans need to leave the coal mines and steel factories and enter into high-tech manufacturing jobs.

HEY Jackass,

American steel is the finest in the world. Next time try talking out of your mouth when your ass ain't so busy. Not only the plain, low carbon steel, but the specialty steels: from defense department, space program, surgical, nuclear reactors to electrical steels, there are none better than American made.

ATI Relentless Innovation®

Trump is trying to save jobs of the 18th and 19th Centuries that are frankly no longer viable; Americans need to leave the coal mines and steel factories and enter into high-tech manufacturing jobs.
Good luck getting your car fixed, your roof repaired, buying gas, drilling for oil, hiring police, or a myriad of other jobs that aren't high tech.

The fact remains that Trump is unfit to be president, and otherwise wrong on most of the issues – including trade.

In a modern, 21st Century global economy, Trump’s 18th Century tactics of adversarial tariffs and conflict are sure to fail, and likely cause irreparable damage.

And the tragic fact is that the ‘making things in America again’ ship sailed long ago, too much time has passed to reconfigure the American economy into something similar to that of the German economy.

Indeed, any good faith effort toward ‘making things in America again’ would require a considerable investment in education and training programs to prepare American workers to participate in such an economy, where American goods are the most expensive in the world, and sought after because they’re the best, regardless of cost, with American workers benefiting accordingly.

But conservatives, Republicans, and Trump in particular are loathe to make the necessary investments in education and training programs needed to create a true world-class economy.
Trump's not the first president to come from the private sector without political experience. He's not the first to speak colorfully. He's not the first to have lost the popular vote, while winning the EC. Until i see a doctor's report, I cannot say he's unfit. I also cannot say that tariffs, renegotiating NAFTA, and not being our allie's keeper are innately terrible things and cannot work just because Trump proposes them.

HEY Jackass,

American steel is the finest in the world. Next time try talking out of your mouth when your ass ain't so busy. Not only the plain, low carbon steel, but the specialty steels: from defense department, space program, surgical, nuclear reactors to electrical steels, there are none better than American made.

So why is it American steel has to be quality inspected for sulfer and other contaminants? You can tell the difference almost as soon as you strike an arc. That is why AWS 6010 is required for first pass root welds.

Good luck getting your car fixed, your roof repaired, buying gas, drilling for oil, hiring police, or a myriad of other jobs that aren't high tech.
I fix automobiles, can do reroofing and can build a new house no problem. Petroleum is another story but roughneck work is something i have done.

I fix automobiles, can do reroofing and can build a new house no problem. Petroleum is another story but roughneck work is something i have done.
Nice try, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with what i responded too. the troll stated:

I think this output probably refers to war manufacturing as that accounts for about 40 percent of our GDP. I was speaking to the trend in manufacturing since WWII, not just the last few years, though. The mid 20th century ouput will never be matched. I didn't mention NAFTA and other trade deals, but they should be renegotiated as Trump says.
Steel is the end result of iron ore being heated and poured into ingots that eventually get changed into steel.

Congrats on cheering a new tax on yourself and less production as the inevitable result

HEY Jackass,

So why is it American steel has to be quality inspected for sulfer and other contaminants? You can tell the difference almost as soon as you strike an arc. That is why AWS 6010 is required for first pass root welds.

You get what you pay for. American steel is more expensive due to labor costs. Obviously, you are only buying / dealing with the lowest quality garbage priced to be competitive with foreign labor. You really think China knows how to make better steel than us when we are the ones that taught them and gave them the equipment in the first place?

Steel is the end result of iron ore being heated and poured into ingots that eventually get changed into steel.
----------------------------------- Yeah , and there is special steel made for ARMOR same for aluminum and i don't want the USA relying on foreign nations for Special Steel plus i like the USA to be self sufifcient in some areas no matter the cost Taxman .

Forum List

Back