Making the mistake of buying reg vs instant rice :)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
I love rice, brown or wild. So buying a great big ol' bag of brown rice recently and fixing some I was perplexed why despite being in boiling water for some 10 minutes nothing was happening. It was just a bunch of wet rice in the bottom of the pan. Whereas prior rice makings had it expand soaking up the water in no time. "How could I have messed up rice?" I thought. Calling my Mom for other thinsg I mentioned it to her to which she asked "was it instant rice?" Oh...:)

Instant rice? Delta, you are missing so much! Buy a rice steamer and cook your rice in that. You'll never return to instant rice.

If you will buy a steamer you can use it for your vegetables too, Delta. The ones you hate to eat because you think it's too much trouble & besides - vitamins keep you healthier? Yes. You can throw in fresh broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and brussel sprouts - open and drain a can of water chestnuts sliced and throw that in. Throw in a sprig of fresh rosemary some pepper and some sea salt and set your timer - don't forget to put water at the bottom of the steamer - put the lid on and go watch television - when the bell rings - your dinner is ready - you can make rice in larger quantities ( cooked by steaming method ) and put in tupperware dish - heat in the oven instead of the microwave and it will have a nice crunchy texture to it - put some Amish butter on it with your vegetables - don't forget to squeeze a small slice of lemon on the steamed veggies when done - then have a brown rice and vegetable dinner - super healthy - use the left over lemon in some fresh water on ice and you are good to go.

I pray over all my food, Mr. H... I'm not there to pray over your white rice but when I bless my own food I also thank God for it and pray the LORD purifies it as well as blesses it for my body. I try to take nothing for granted and be aware of everything I'm doing. When I miss it God covers me.

God's food rice is. My staple for sure.

Rice is very healthy for you and if you will notice - the Chinese - who eat a lot of rice - do not have any weight problems. I'm a big fan of rice! I like rice cakes too! With peanut butter? It's a great snack food.

I pray over all my food, Mr. H... I'm not there to pray over your white rice but when I bless my own food I also thank God for it and pray the LORD purifies it as well as blesses it for my body. I try to take nothing for granted and be aware of everything I'm doing. When I miss it God covers me.
I don't pray over food. I prey ON food. :thup:

But mostly, I respect food.

A few weeks ago, I marched in my very first parade with the nursing home at which my wife is employed. We had bags of candy to toss out to the crowd.

And I found myself in an awkward situation.... I couldn't bring myself to throw candy.

Because, oddly enough, I view candy as food.

So I would walk up to people (mostly kids) and personally hand them a sucker, Tootsie Roll, Smarties, or whatever.

Rather than toss a handful of treats at people's feet, I would very delicately hand individual candies to people.

Which soon got me in trouble LOL. I was lagging behind my group and it wasn't long before the middle school cheer team overtook me. As well as a couple other parade entrants. So I had to run to catch up.

I suppose this harkins back to my childhood when food was mighty scarce. And every morsel a commodity. Seven kids is a lot of mouths to feed on a non-existent budget.

And next year, I'll be asked to walk in that same parade. And there I'll be, personally handing out individual candies to hundreds of individuals...

Instant rice? Delta, you are missing so much! Buy a rice steamer and cook your rice in that. You'll never return to instant rice.

I'm change-adverse. Last thing I want is having to learn anything new. :) Was actually summoning recollections of documentaries showing indigenous people preparing food wondering if i had to beat the rice with a rock first or something. :)

I'm change-adverse. Last thing I want is having to learn anything new. :) Was actually summoning recollections of documentaries showing indigenous people preparing food wondering if i had to beat the rice with a rock first or something. :)

That is up for change, Delta. Seriously. It won't hurt you to try something different. A vegetable / rice steamer is a wonderful gadget! Buy one!

note - you did very well adjusting to this board! That was a change for you. And you like this board! Right? So check out a rice steamer and see if you don't notice a difference in the quality of your rice. Have a nice day.

I don't pray over food. I prey ON food. :thup:

But mostly, I respect food.

A few weeks ago, I marched in my very first parade with the nursing home at which my wife is employed. We had bags of candy to toss out to the crowd.

And I found myself in an awkward situation.... I couldn't bring myself to throw candy.

Because, oddly enough, I view candy as food.

So I would walk up to people (mostly kids) and personally hand them a sucker, Tootsie Roll, Smarties, or whatever.

Rather than toss a handful of treats at people's feet, I would very delicately hand individual candies to people.

Which soon got me in trouble LOL. I was lagging behind my group and it wasn't long before the middle school cheer team overtook me. As well as a couple other parade entrants. So I had to run to catch up.

I suppose this harkins back to my childhood when food was mighty scarce. And every morsel a commodity. Seven kids is a lot of mouths to feed on a non-existent budget.

And next year, I'll be asked to walk in that same parade. And there I'll be, personally handing out individual candies to hundreds of individuals...

Personally, I think you hand the candy out individually because in your heart you have a gentle soul, Mr. H.. That is what I think the reason behind it is. You wouldn't throw anything. It's just not you.

That is up for change, Delta. Seriously. It won't hurt you to try something different. A vegetable / rice steamer is a wonderful gadget! Buy one!

note - you did very well adjusting to this board! That was a change for you. And you like this board! Right? So check out a rice steamer and see if you don't notice a difference in the quality of your rice. Have a nice day.

Mom bought me a pro juicer for an offhand comment about it'd be nice to have one 10 or something years ago. It's still sitting unopened in the box acting as a table in the living room :)

Mom bought me a pro juicer for an offhand comment about it'd be nice to have one 10 or something years ago. It's still sitting unopened in the box acting as a table in the living room :)

I changed my mind and decided I will write something when I feel the notion - this post compels me to write something, Delta.

You actually got a pro juicer from your mother and and you are using it for an end table? Are you meshugenah? Open up that box and use that juicer! Buy some oranges and other fruit at the grocers or the farmers market and start juicing! Does your mother know you are using that pro juicer in the box for an end table? Please use that juicer. Before your mother finds out.

Seriously.

Forum List

Back