Making our own cheesesteaks

We tried out Jersey Mike's cheesesteaks not long ago and they were good but at $18 for two that get's expensive fast.
So I picked up some Steak-umms, provolone, hoagie rolls, tomatoes and lettuce (the wife likes the latter two on hers).

Cooks up fast, you can add salt or not if you choose, onions and peppers if you choose, I like onions. Mine are better and and about a quarter of the price per sandwich.

Steakums can be expensive too. Might be cheaper if you ask someone in the meat department to cut some skirt steak really thin so you can chop them up as they cook.
Skirt or flank will work and I'm looking into it but Steak-umms aren't that expensive at Wally World, in fact they're often cheaper than skirt and flank though I'll keep my eyes open for sales on those and on ribeye which can get down to $5 a pound.
Have them slice underbelly chuck. More fat so more flavor and $3-$3.50 or so.
~Ummz are the Spam of the red meat world
I like Spam...... :lol:
My mom said " we're having meatloaf" = uncan the Spam with the toy train key(included----I'm an old guy). She'd roll it 3-4 times in an iron skillet, grab a can of corn and it was on !
Thumb it up if you know the "train key" reference.
No need to add anything.

91Ej%2Bw0q1mL._SX385_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX385SY460SH20_.jpg

Personally I cut mine thin, fry it crispy, make it into a sandwich with mayo and usually oat bread. :thup:

We tried out Jersey Mike's cheesesteaks not long ago and they were good but at $18 for two that get's expensive fast.
So I picked up some Steak-umms, provolone, hoagie rolls, tomatoes and lettuce (the wife likes the latter two on hers).

Cooks up fast, you can add salt or not if you choose, onions and peppers if you choose, I like onions. Mine are better and and about a quarter of the price per sandwich.
Don’t eat that shit. It’ll kill you.
Awesome!!! I'll order extra!!!
Gonna die anyway, might as well go out happy.

STEAK UMN!!!!
Awwwwww Hell Nah!!!
Ya gotta get a good ribeye,toss it in the freezer till it's semi frozen so it's easy to slice thin!!!! Then add some UMAMI powder,caramelized onions and a bit of olive oil and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. This should obviously be done in one pan.
Lay on the cheese of your choice on the pile and cover with a bowl or whatever ya got to melt the cheese then lay it on a toasted bun.
Of course you can add bell pepper if you're into that.
I do agree about slicing your own. Right now I have a few moose roasts and they slice up nice and thin and make great cheese steaks, etc. I understand that not everyone is fortunate enough to have moose, though.

Steakums can be expensive too. Might be cheaper if you ask someone in the meat department to cut some skirt steak really thin so you can chop them up as they cook.
Skirt or flank will work and I'm looking into it but Steak-umms aren't that expensive at Wally World, in fact they're often cheaper than skirt and flank though I'll keep my eyes open for sales on those and on ribeye which can get down to $5 a pound.
Me too! Makes great fire starter.

:bye1:

Here's what I do for a cheesesteak.

A few times a year, we do a rib roast. And it's fucking awesome.

But we never finish it. There's always some left over.

So the next day, I slice up the remaining roast paper thin then chop it up. Then, I fry up some finely diced onions. Once the onions are caramelized, I add the steak for just a minute to heat it up. Then, I grind some pepper over the mixture. As this is happening, I'm toasting two slices of bread. And when the toast and the meat mixture is done, I bring the toast out of the toaster, place a piece of sliced processed cheese on one slice of bread, then place the meat and onions onto the cheese, put on the other piece of toast, and voila! An awesome cheesesteak!

So the next day, I slice up the remaining roast paper thin then chop it up. Then, I fry up some finely diced onions. Once the onions are caramelized, I add the steak for just a minute to heat it up. Then, I grind some pepper over the mixture. As this is happening, I'm toasting two slices of bread. And when the toast and the meat mixture is done, I bring the toast out of the toaster, place a piece of sliced processed cheese on one slice of bread, then place the meat and onions onto the cheese, put on the other piece of toast, and voila! An awesome cheesesteak!
Agree, except for the processed processed cheese-like substance.

The original Philly cheesesteak uses Cheese Whiz.

Yuck. I use my own, homemade cheese. Sorry. I like homemade stuff, or organic, non-GMO food. Moose and homemade goat cheese make the best cheese steak sammich for me. Pretty sure my neighbors would agree.

Yuck. I use my own, homemade cheese. Sorry. I like homemade stuff, or organic, non-GMO food. Moose and homemade goat cheese make the best cheese steak sammich for me. Pretty sure my neighbors would agree.

I like extra-GMO foods.

I like extra-GMO foods.
That's ok. You're welcome to all you can get. Forgive me if I choose to forgo such modern conveniences.

Yup, must be a Canadian......... or American......... or both.......... :eusa_whistle:

Eeeewwwwww............

I like extra-GMO foods.
That's ok. You're welcome to all you can get. Forgive me if I choose to forgo such modern conveniences.
Are you the one who makes a mean weed rat stew?

My mom said " we're having meatloaf" = uncan the Spam with the toy train key(included----I'm an old guy). She'd roll it 3-4 times in an iron skillet, grab a can of corn and it was on !

You mean they don't use the key anymore???

As you can tell, I haven't had spam in a few years to know this

Fucking yankee shit. PhilDogg in SC uses aged Xtree sharp cheddar and makes his own mayo and pickles.......and sweet tater fries

View attachment 299187

Last time I had some was in Hawaii. I was so baked I'm not sure which island ! We lived in a treehouse on the beach tho ! WAY back

Doug , Costa Rica1988.jpg

Last edited:

NOOOO...….provolone

and ya'll keep forgetting the peppers. Gotta have onions & peppers. Whatsa matta with you people......maybe even sliced mushrooms in there too.

And most any cut of beef, thin sliced, will work.

I've even done it with hamburger patties formed to the shape of the roll, topped with the onions, peppers & mushrooms and provolone on a buttered, toasted French roll and served with Aujus. Yes a combination of a cheesesteak & French Dip but with hamburger. It's awesome too.

I can't bring my self to eat steak'um's. I'll usually buy that beef carnitas at Walmart and use that. I like them the way your best half does, except I like that pepper sauce Jersey mikes uses as well. Heart burn city but its awesome.

View attachment 299187

Last time I had some was in Hawaii. I was so baked I'm not sure which island ! We lived in a treehouse on the beach tho ! WAY back

View attachment 299188

Is that you Russell Crow? Why are you wearing glasses?

Forum List

Back