Making fruit cups to carry for lunch

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
I'm trying to eat healthier, so I bought some fruit to make fruit cups to pack in my lunch for snacks at work.

I got:
grapes
apples
oranges
and strawberries

I don't like pineapple or grapefruit, so they're not included.

Anyway, I want to be able to make mixed fruit cups and refrigerate them so I can just grab one. But I know if I slice the apples early, they'll brown. I know that if I add some lemon juice, that will help keep them from browning. But I don't want to drown them in lemon juice. So how should I do that? Can I add lemon juice and then fill the rest of the cup with water? But that sounds like it might dull the taste of the fruit.

Will the oranges be okay if sliced days in advance? I don't know shit about cooking and stuff. I usually just grab a fruit and eat it. But trying to prepare these things every morning would be too much of a time constraint, so I want to be able to make up 4 or 5 on the weekend and have them in the fridge ready to go.

Go buy some Fruit Fresh, available in almost any grocery store. Works very well and doesn't make ya pucker.

I'm trying to eat healthier, so I bought some fruit to make fruit cups to pack in my lunch for snacks at work.

I got:
grapes
apples
oranges
and strawberries

I don't like pineapple or grapefruit, so they're not included.

Anyway, I want to be able to make mixed fruit cups and refrigerate them so I can just grab one. But I know if I slice the apples early, they'll brown. I know that if I add some lemon juice, that will help keep them from browning. But I don't want to drown them in lemon juice. So how should I do that? Can I add lemon juice and then fill the rest of the cup with water? But that sounds like it might dull the taste of the fruit.

Will the oranges be okay if sliced days in advance? I don't know shit about cooking and stuff. I usually just grab a fruit and eat it. But trying to prepare these things every morning would be too much of a time constraint, so I want to be able to make up 4 or 5 on the weekend and have them in the fridge ready to go.

IMO, you're better off doing things like berries and melons if you want something you can make in advance.

Strawberries, grapes, honeydew, cantaloupe, blueberries, etc.. If you want apple and/or orange, just take one along...

Strawberries, grapes, honeydew, cantaloupe, blueberries, etc.. If you want apple and/or orange, just take one along...

Then I have to peel/slice them at work, which is a hassle. I can't eat apples unsliced, hurts my teeth. Peeling oranges is too messy to do at work.

jsanders, you can wash and put the grapes and strawberries in little baggies, they should stay fresh for at least 3-5 days depending on how old they were when you bought them.

Dis is right, take along the orange and apple, and cut them up at work during "snack time" if you can, or even on your lunch break. No fun wasting your hard earned money on spoiled food.

Do you like bananas? I take one to work every day to eat with my cereal. Easy.

Melons too, again, you can cut them up and bag them to last a few days too.

Good for you on your way to healthy eating, let me know when you want to become a vegetarian, I'll help you with that! :cool:

Then I have to peel/slice them at work, which is a hassle. I can't eat apples unsliced, hurts my teeth. Peeling oranges is too messy to do at work.

Oh.. Well, Clementines peel in one shot (skin literally comes off in 1 piece) and aren't the least bit messy.. If you have a Walmart, they have prepackaged apple slices..5 packets to a container..

Do you like bananas? I take one to work every day to eat with my cereal. Easy.

I usually have a banana with my oatmeal/cereal every morning.

Melons too, again, you can cut them up and bag them to last a few days too.

I'm not a melon eater. I don't like the texture.

Good for you on your way to healthy eating, let me know when you want to become a vegetarian, I'll help you with that! :cool:

Don't hold your breath. I'm taking turkey/ham sandwiches with me for lunch, too. The fruit is for snacks or "dessert." I also enjoy steak too much to give it up, and I don't eat many vegetables. Carrots, green beans, peas, and corn are about all I can do. I don't even eat lettuce. It's the most disgusting thing to me.

Last edited:
If you have a Walmart, they have prepackaged apple slices..5 packets to a container..

This made me giggle. I live in Northwest Arkansas, I can drive 10 miles in any direction and find a Walmart. LOL

Anyway, I've looked at their prepackaged fruit cups and sliced fruits, and they're just so darn expensive. I wonder how they keep them fresh.

Maybe you need a visit to the dentist.

Maybe "hurts my teeth" was too much. It's a neurological thing. Whenever I was little and I had a loose tooth, my mom would make me eat apples to help get the tooth out. So I have this fear of biting into an apple and losing a tooth. It doesn't hurt, but it's very uncomfortable for me.

Forum List

Back