Major Corporation Scores Major Victory -- Finally A Win For The Good Guys!

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"Kellogg's employees have rejected a contract proposal offering 3% annual raises, with 1,400 workers at the company's four U.S. cereal plants choosing to remain on strike. The Union said on Tuesday that an overwhelming majority of workers voted down the five-year offer, which also would have also provided cost-of-living adjustments in the later years of the deal and preserved the workers' current health care benefits. One sticking point in the negotiations has been the company's two-tiered system of wages that gives newer workers at the plants less pay and fewer benefits -- as many as 30% receive those lower wages.

Victor Chen, a sociologist at Virginia Commonwealth University who studies labor, said
; "A union depends on the solidarity of its members,"
Chen said. "When you have two-tiered systems — which have become popular in corporate America — you're weakening that solidarity. It turns workers against each other." Kellogg's said it will now move forward with plans to start hiring permanent replacements for the striking workers. The company has already been using salaried employees and outside workers to keep the plants operating during the strike."

First of all, when you are a worker, you need to humble yourself and not be greedy..Of course there should be a two-tier system if not a 50 tier system...What point is it to pay someone who only been on the job a short time the same wages as someone who has been on the job for 10 or so years....and a 3% raise was more than enough -- but these laborers rejected it...

About time a company finally had the balls to stand up to these workers and started fighting back....And when they bring in replacements and hire them -- it definitely should be for less than the wages they were currently paying...that would be a quick and effective way to cut down on labor costs...I wouldn't hire those strikers when they come crawling back either.....good luck finding a job who will pay you over 3% more than what you were making...and these folks were wanting better healthcare coverage and a pension too?? Yea, right....

I remember when hostess just closed down because of striking workers. Those workers became unemployed after they tried to eat the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Remember Hostess? Union demands ended the entire company and put them out of business.

Remember Hostess? Union demands ended the entire company and put them out of business.
Exactly.....which is why unions should be illegal.....

Workers will always want more and not know when to stop.....

Collective bargaining was a horrible idea....its best to let the market decide what workers should be paid

Like 90% of the developed world does? Yes, probably.
Aside from the fact my comment was sarcasm that you stupidly parroted...as I thought you would...

90% of the developed world also has some sort of single-payer universal healthcare too.....so it's odd to see you cucks throw around that "90% of the developed world" talk....

ALSO....

When it comes to other so-called "first world" countries...their labor unions and worker rights are stronger than the US -- so you even got that wrong....this is why I mock you morons daily....

Aside from the fact my comment was sarcasm that you stupidly parroted...as I thought you would...

90% of the developed world also has some sort of single-payer universal healthcare too.....so it's odd to see you cucks throw around that "90% of the developed world" talk....

ALSO....

When it comes to other so-called "first world" countries...their labor unions and worker rights are stronger than the US -- so you even got that wrong....this is why I mock you morons daily....

Workers striking Caterpiller got some public support a few weeks back. When I first read your ironically intended OP, I actually went and looked up "K" on yahoo finance. I was suprised at first, but then not so much, to see Kellogg's profits are not up as much as I thought, and their costs for raw products are up. That's not intended as a political comment. Food costs have been rising for a number of years.

Workers striking Caterpiller got some public support a few weeks back. When I first read your ironically intended OP, I actually went and looked up "K" on yahoo finance. I was suprised at first, but then not so much, to see Kellogg's profits are not up as much as I thought, and their costs for raw products are up. That's not intended as a political comment. Food costs have been rising for a number of years.
Has demand been rising as well? or has supply decreased?

At any rate......the strikers at Kellogg felt as tho they have the leverage to turn down the deal and continue the strike....

I am seldom sympathetic to the plight of CEO and other execs who make 200 to 300 times more than the average worker....if this happens to be the case with Kellogg...firing hundreds of workers and hiring new ones at cheaper wages is what late-stage Capitalism is all about

At any rate......the strikers at Kellogg felt as tho they have the leverage to turn down the deal and continue the strike....

I am seldom sympathetic to the plight of CEO and other execs who make 200 to 300 times more than the average worker....if this happens to be the case with Kellogg...firing hundreds of workers and hiring new ones at cheaper wages is what late-stage Capitalism is all about
Well Kellogg's sales and profits are up. But just at a glance, it didn't seem like they were shafting workers just to boost profits. It looks like a pretty tough business to be in right now.

"Kellogg's employees have rejected a contract proposal offering 3% annual raises, with 1,400 workers at the company's four U.S. cereal plants choosing to remain on strike. The Union said on Tuesday that an overwhelming majority of workers voted down the five-year offer, which also would have also provided cost-of-living adjustments in the later years of the deal and preserved the workers' current health care benefits. One sticking point in the negotiations has been the company's two-tiered system of wages that gives newer workers at the plants less pay and fewer benefits -- as many as 30% receive those lower wages.

Victor Chen, a sociologist at Virginia Commonwealth University who studies labor, said
; "A union depends on the solidarity of its members,"
Chen said. "When you have two-tiered systems — which have become popular in corporate America — you're weakening that solidarity. It turns workers against each other." Kellogg's said it will now move forward with plans to start hiring permanent replacements for the striking workers. The company has already been using salaried employees and outside workers to keep the plants operating during the strike."

First of all, when you are a worker, you need to humble yourself and not be greedy..Of course there should be a two-tier system if not a 50 tier system...What point is it to pay someone who only been on the job a short time the same wages as someone who has been on the job for 10 or so years....and a 3% raise was more than enough -- but these laborers rejected it...

About time a company finally had the balls to stand up to these workers and started fighting back....And when they bring in replacements and hire them -- it definitely should be for less than the wages they were currently paying...that would be a quick and effective way to cut down on labor costs...I wouldn't hire those strikers when they come crawling back either.....good luck finding a job who will pay you over 3% more than what you were making...and these folks were wanting better healthcare coverage and a pension too?? Yea, right....
Great news, I'm glad we agree!

Well Kellogg's sales and profits are up. But just at a glance, it didn't seem like they were shafting workers just to boost profits. It looks like a pretty tough business to be in right now.
So those tax cuts didn't result in them hiring more people and boosting wages like we were told?

Bummer....

Well....hopefully they use some of that money to buy back stocks.....wouldn't want those corp execs to miss out on any potential bonuses

So those tax cuts didn't result in them hiring more people and boosting wages like we were told?

Bummer....

Well....hopefully they use some of that money to buy back stocks.....wouldn't want those corp execs to miss out on any potential bonuses

Every company in America, upon learning that a man with a 50 year track record of abject failure, and who leads a party that is openly hostile to capitalism, was about to take control of the economy, braced for the worst.

Bummer....

I'm not sure Crenshaw was in congress when the tax cuts were passed. But even if he was, I don't have a problem with his supporting bad policy if that the choice of his party. I was not for expanding the child tax credits, but I wouldn't automatically not vote for a dem over that issue. They made a call to try to boost the econ. I thought both efforts were unnecessary and just added to the debt.

I'm not sure Crenshaw was in congress when the tax cuts were passed. But even if he was, I don't have a problem with his supporting bad policy if that the choice of his party. I was not for expanding the child tax credits, but I wouldn't automatically not vote for a dem over that issue. They made a call to try to boost the econ. I thought both efforts were unnecessary and just added to the debt.
I am talking about the Trump corporate tax cuts....

if anything...the child tax credit helps Kellogg.....unless you think those people who received that money was going to store that money in offshore accounts instead of using it to buy Kellogg products..

I am talking about the Trump corporate tax cuts....

if anything...the child tax credit helps Kellogg.....unless you think those people who received that money was going to store that money in offshore accounts instead of using it to buy Kellogg products..
Yeah, I got it. I'm against both. But I'm not sure Crenshaw voted for the gop tax cuts.

Anyone who has anything Branded Kellog in their home/trailer needs to be eradicated from stealing oxygen. It's all garbage anyways,

ALSO....

How much of the population of the world is developed? And that would mean the Western World is most of that. The Western World you hate. All the whitees. With Japan and South Korea who get it.

How much of the population of the world is developed? And that would mean the Western World is most of that. The Western World you hate. All the whitees. With Japan and South Korea who get it.
Another moron who can't address a single thing I said.......

Please tell me where I said I hate the western world??

Funny how me talking about labor rights has triggered you into a hissy fit like a little babbling bitch

And all of those countries you named have stronger labor protections and collective bargaining than the US...

Why are you such a moron?

Employees have the right to demand higher wages. Management has the right to deny them. Employees then have to decide if they want to continue to work, or allow themselves to be replaced.

Forum List

Back