Maine kicks 9,000 off welfare for refusing to work

All they have to do is 24 hours per MONTH of volunteer service. But they won't even do that

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement - Patriot Chronicle

nov 16 2016 Republican Gov. Paul LePage recently began enforcing Maine’s volunteer and work requirements for food stamp SNAP recipients to keep their benefits. The end result was more than 9,000 non-disabled adults getting dropped from the program.

The rules prevent adults who are not disabled and do not have dependents from receiving food stamps for more than three months, unless they work at least 20 hours a week, participate in a work-training program, or meet volunteer guidelines for 24 hours out of the month. Any one of those three getting met will not result in the loss of their SNAP food benefits.

Let me emphasize. The least difficult of those three, is fulfilling an approved volunteer work load of just 24 hours out of an entire month. The hardest, is doing at least 20 hours of on the job work per week. Hey, only volunteering 24 hours per month is a seriously good deal to receive hundreds of dollars of free food. The average SNAP monthly benefit is approximately $477.88 per month for a four person household size. In most cases it’s even more. For 24 hours of volunteering, that’s making about $19.91 per hour. Nice!
About time!

All they have to do is 24 hours per MONTH of volunteer service. But they won't even do that

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement - Patriot Chronicle

nov 16 2016 Republican Gov. Paul LePage recently began enforcing Maine’s volunteer and work requirements for food stamp SNAP recipients to keep their benefits. The end result was more than 9,000 non-disabled adults getting dropped from the program.

The rules prevent adults who are not disabled and do not have dependents from receiving food stamps for more than three months, unless they work at least 20 hours a week, participate in a work-training program, or meet volunteer guidelines for 24 hours out of the month. Any one of those three getting met will not result in the loss of their SNAP food benefits.

Let me emphasize. The least difficult of those three, is fulfilling an approved volunteer work load of just 24 hours out of an entire month. The hardest, is doing at least 20 hours of on the job work per week. Hey, only volunteering 24 hours per month is a seriously good deal to receive hundreds of dollars of free food. The average SNAP monthly benefit is approximately $477.88 per month for a four person household size. In most cases it’s even more. For 24 hours of volunteering, that’s making about $19.91 per hour. Nice!

They love that free ride and its about time Maine kicked some of them off the welfare rolls.

Wow, how christian of this state.

I hope these people aren't disabled or too old to work.

They are all able bodies. They would rather freeload than work.

If they aren't able bodies then that is what church's and charities are for. Not the taxpayers of America.

Bout time Maine kicked some of these freeloaders off the dole.

Last edited:

Making calls to the elderly and disabled to make sure they are live, they have taken their meds and are eating, or just to be a friends and neighbor.

Reading with kids.

Serving meals to homeless.

Helping create a neighborhood garden.

Deliver meals-on-wheels, even by foot.

Be a big brother for kids.

Help organize events for cancer or other charities.

Give time at schools or hospitals.

Volunteer to help online, writing or emailing or web development.

All of you, listen. I live in Maine, in a very rural area, the poorest in the state. This change actually took place two years ago, so the results are being analyzed. The lobster fisherman who make BIG bucks in the fishing season are no longer collecting food stamps in the winter, and that's all well and good. But I work with folks who were really struggling and really trying, and it is so much different than what your smug assumptions are.

First, getting anywhere--job or volunteer--requires a vehicle, since there is NO public transportation to get there. Poor people don't have the $$ to keep a vehicle on the road. So there's that. There is also the fact that volunteer opportunities are extremely limited. They have to be non profits and be big enough and willing to train a never ending line of untrained "volunteers." Many orgs can't take advantage because of their clients -- confidentiality issues. And no place around here is large enough to absorb many. So there's that.

There is the more pressing problem that IF THERE WERE JOBS these people could do, they would already be employed. Since Obamacare, employers are only hiring part time. A lot of people around here are only skilled at seasonal labor. Some of them wouldn't be able to succeed in college, even if they had the money and could afford to go.

I have students who struggle and really work hard but can barely pay their rent at the end of the month and I have students who walk to school, walk to their jobs and sometimes they can't even afford a coat. Or the ride to the nearest Goodwill 60 miles away to buy a used one for $15. I pretend to have snack attacks a lot, so I can share some chow.

You are being very unfair. I'm glad it was only 9,000 folks that were affected, but I know some of them, and to hear you all saying what a great idea it was to cut off their food stamps? It's not always a great idea. I don't see that the money Maine has saved has pulled us out of the hole. At least up your contributions to your local food bank, if that is what you vote for. Because folks are gonna need it for awhile.

All of you, listen. I live in Maine, in a very rural area, the poorest in the state. This change actually took place two years ago, so the results are being analyzed. The lobster fisherman who make BIG bucks in the fishing season are no longer collecting food stamps in the winter, and that's all well and good. But I work with folks who were really struggling and really trying, and it is so much different than what your smug assumptions are.

First, getting anywhere--job or volunteer--requires a vehicle, since there is NO public transportation to get there. Poor people don't have the $$ to keep a vehicle on the road. So there's that. There is also the fact that volunteer opportunities are extremely limited. They have to be non profits and be big enough and willing to train a never ending line of untrained "volunteers." Many orgs can't take advantage because of their clients -- confidentiality issues. And no place around here is large enough to absorb many. So there's that.

There is the more pressing problem that IF THERE WERE JOBS these people could do, they would already be employed. Since Obamacare, employers are only hiring part time. A lot of people around here are only skilled at seasonal labor. Some of them wouldn't be able to succeed in college, even if they had the money and could afford to go.

I have students who struggle and really work hard but can barely pay their rent at the end of the month and I have students who walk to school, walk to their jobs and sometimes they can't even afford a coat. Or the ride to the nearest Goodwill 60 miles away to buy a used one for $15. I pretend to have snack attacks a lot, so I can share some chow.

You are being very unfair. I'm glad it was only 9,000 folks that were affected, but I know some of them, and to hear you all saying what a great idea it was to cut off their food stamps? It's not always a great idea. I don't see that the money Maine has saved has pulled us out of the hole. At least up your contributions to your local food bank, if that is what you vote for. Because folks are gonna need it for awhile.
First off, Maine is certainly not the poorest state in the Union. Secondly, the vast majority of people in Maine live a relative stones throw form the Boston area and other urban centers with low unemplyment, yet Maine's population has increased in the past decades.

It's a rural non-agricultural state. Not a formula for prosperity. Lobstering only goes so far.

It makes no sense.

First off, Maine is certainly not the poorest state in the Union. Secondly, the vast majority of people in Maine live a relative stones throw form the Boston area and other urban centers with low unemplyment, yet Maine's population has increased in the past decades.

It's a rural non-agricultural state. Not a formula for prosperity. Lobstering only goes so far.

It makes no sense.
You saying everyone should move to Boston? So if anyone here is hungry, all they need to do is up and move to another state? What happened to investing in our population?

It makes no sense.
You saying everyone should move to Boston? So if anyone here is hungry, all they need to do is up and move to another state? What happened to investing in our population?

You invest to get a return. Too many times there is no return in welfare payments and before you lose your mind I'm not talking about those that truly need a helping hand but one can't make it a career

It makes no sense.

You invest to get a return. Too many times there is no return in welfare payments and before you lose your mind I'm not talking about those that truly need a helping hand but one can't make it a career
Actually, I agree with that. Our state has also put those requirements in place for TANF mothers and children, with a life long 5 year cap, and that is a bigger problem, cause kids need groceries and a roof etc. and some mothers are -- let's face it -- irredeemable losers. Maybe in the end it will work out for the best. The feeling that you are entitled to all kinds of assistance from the state is a big business for some folks. They spend all their cleverness and energy finding ways to milk the system for every dime. I don't like those folks either.

It makes no sense.

Actually, I agree with that. Our state has also put those requirements in place for TANF mothers and children, with a life long 5 year cap, and that is a bigger problem, cause kids need groceries and a roof etc. and some mothers are -- let's face it -- irredeemable losers. Maybe in the end it will work out for the best. The feeling that you are entitled to all kinds of assistance from the state is a big business for some folks. They spend all their cleverness and energy finding ways to milk the system for every dime. I don't like those folks either.
Just remember, it's not ALL folks or even MOST folks who need a hand up once in awhile. As long as that doesn't go away.

Who do you think came, populated and made the US the most prosperous country in the world?

Clue: It was not the those form the teaming shores (of Europe) who wanted to eat free.

Don't assume anything-

In October 2014, Maine began requiring about 16,000 able-bodied childless adults to work, train, or volunteer on at least a part-time basis in order to continue receiving food stamps. Adults who refused to comply with the new requirements would cycle off after three months of benefits.

New Report Proves Maine's Welfare Reforms Are Working

I can only assume, most are single parent moms, with lots of kids who can't afford childcare. Some are people who are too bent for work, but to young to retire and a lot are people who simply can't find a decent job cause of criminal backgrounds.

Who do you think came, populated and made the US the most prosperous country in the world?

Clue: It was not the those form the teaming shores (of Europe) who wanted to eat free.
Nope. A lot of them starved. Got rickets. Goiters. Died young of complications due to chronic malnutrition. Capitalism at its best.

Don't assume anything-

In October 2014, Maine began requiring about 16,000 able-bodied childless adults to work, train, or volunteer on at least a part-time basis in order to continue receiving food stamps. Adults who refused to comply with the new requirements would cycle off after three months of benefits.

New Report Proves Maine's Welfare Reforms Are Working

I can only assume, most are single parent moms, with lots of kids who can't afford childcare. Some are people who are too bent for work, but to young to retire and a lot are people who simply can't find a decent job cause of criminal backgrounds.
I couldn't read this 'cuz of AdBlock, but a similar article came out a few months ago by our DHHS. Just remember, if you plan to do this in your state, make sure the opportunities to work, train or volunteer are out there FIRST and accessible to the people who need them. Or maybe, like Meathead suggested, they will all move to Boston.

Nope. A lot of them starved. Got rickets. Goiters. Died young of complications due to chronic malnutrition. Capitalism at its best.
A lot of them? When was the last time you heard of mass starvation in the US?

Stop being a knee-jerk dingbat. While I will admit that you aren't of Grandma's level (someone who I confused you with), you're not a lot better informed.

Stop with "The children! who will think of the children" bit. It is old and hackneyed.

And I bet they all voted for the shit, so let the chips fall were they may. Listen, if you want change, vote out the GOP, end of fuckin story!!

And I bet they all voted for the shit, so let the chips fall were they may. Listen, if you want change, vote out the GOP, end of fuckin story!!
Only on district in Maine voted for Trump. The welfare areas wanted Clinton.

Illiterate as you are, you should be at least able to find a job picking cotton or strawberries, but I suppose, as a black woman used to mooching off the state, that would be below you.

Only on district in Maine voted for Trump. The welfare areas wanted Clinton.

Illiterate as you are, you should be at least able to find a job picking cotton or strawberries, but I suppose, as a black woman used to mooching off the state, that would be below you.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody voted for Hillary, that's why Trump won....I have no doubt in my mind, prideful rednecks of which you speak voted for that bastard. Again, its time people pay for the votes they may or may not cast, especially poor white people. And just for the record, dear, the internet, nor electricity, nor computers I use come free, SOMEBODY IS PAYING FOR IT AND THAT SOMEBODY IS ME, DUMB ASS!!

Forum List

Back