Main Stream Reporting On Kerry Problem

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-lips28.html

Kerry citation a 'total mystery' to ex-Navy chief

August 28, 2004

BY THOMAS LIPSCOMB

Former Navy Secretary John Lehman has no idea where a Silver Star citation displayed on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's campaign Web site came from, he said Friday. The citation appears over Lehman's signature.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," he said.

The additional language varied from the two previous citations, signed first by Adm. Elmo Zumwalt and then Adm. John Hyland, which themselves differ. The new material added in the Lehman citation reads in part: "By his brave actions, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty, Lieutenant (jg) Kerry reflected great credit upon himself...."

Asked how the citation could have been executed over his signature without his knowledge, Lehman said: "I have no idea. I can only imagine they were signed by an autopen." The autopen is a device often used in the routine execution of executive documents in government.

Kerry senior adviser Michael Meehan could not be reached for comment on Kerry's records.

Thomas Lipscomb is chairman of the Center for the Digital Future in New York.

Is Kerry beginning to wonder why his campaign has not focused on his 20 year Senate career? Rather than his 4 month combat experience.

MtnBiker said:
Is Kerry beginning to wonder why his campaign has not focused on his 20 year Senate career? Rather than his 4 month combat experience.

One would hope so, but it seems that he was in Washington today and 'reporting for duty' used again. ~sigh~ Typical, just stay with 'they are lying' and hope for the best.

Noticed several dem advisors today with talking point: "Bush must call for an end to Swiftboatvets ads..." When asked why Kerry doesn't do the same with Moveon.org and others..."They are not smear ads..." The GOP: :bang3:

Kathianne said:

Don't think that we have anything here. the phraseology cited in the article is pretty much standard boiler-plate that is added as part of the closing paragraph of any citation for valor. And, in fairness, I would think that it would be a little unrealistic for the Secretary of the Navy to remember paperwork for a citation for a Silver Star awarded over 35 years ago. Besides, that "autopen" was probably one of Lehman's adminstrative assistants signing Lehaman's name for him, so it is quite likely that Lehman never saw the citation.

I think you know I'd be leading the cheering section for any legit information that shows kerry's lack of character. But other than receiving a Silver Star which he probably does not deserve, I don't think we have anything new here. Shucks.

Merlin1047 said:
Don't think that we have anything here. the phraseology cited in the article is pretty much standard boiler-plate that is added as part of the closing paragraph of any citation for valor. And, in fairness, I would think that it would be a little unrealistic for the Secretary of the Navy to remember paperwork for a citation for a Silver Star awarded over 35 years ago. Besides, that "autopen" was probably one of Lehman's adminstrative assistants signing Lehaman's name for him, so it is quite likely that Lehman never saw the citation.

I think you know I'd be leading the cheering section for any legit information that shows kerry's lack of character. But other than receiving a Silver Star which he probably does not deserve, I don't think we have anything new here. Shucks.

I think the 'story' is not the signature. The citation was 'revised' including the 'V' that is not part of the Silver Star. Any changes to the citation would take Lehman's ok, not just the autopen. This was when Kerry was a Senator, Lehman certainly would have recognized the name.

Forum List

Back